Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

OMG I cannot believe I am seeing this in my lifetime!! I am in total shock. Worse, I am seriously thinking of cancelling my Splendor cruise in April. Am I crazy and panicked, or is this design completely cursed!

Katherine

It is striking that this class has already seen two tragic accidents in its short career.

I don't know that I would cancel but I would certainly say a prayer beforehand!

No company has the means to do so. The company gambles to break even on every cruise. Right now I bet there are about 50 lawyers at Costa & Carnival that are going over their insurance claim procedures.

The ship was most likely fully insured. Therefore it is completely possible for a complete restoration.

Furthermore, Carnival/Costa would be losing more money if they were to let a new ship such as this, one that has yet to pay for itself, become a wreck.

From the looks of her, Concordia is completely salvageable. If one has a hotel that were to succumb to damage that is completely repairable he or she wouldn't have the building razed. This scenario is the same, only with a much larger asset.

OMG I cannot believe I am seeing this in my lifetime!! I am in total shock. Worse, I am seriously thinking of cancelling my Splendor cruise in April. Am I crazy and panicked, or is this design completely cursed!

Katherine

Katherine I bet you drive or are driven in a car every day almost even though 1000s of people around the world die in them each day. You need to keep this in perspective really. This is a tragedy but it does not mean that all cruise ships are unsafe at all. Please go and enjoy your cruise. :)

Please don't consider this cold but I was supposed to be on this ship in two months! What will costa do? Is there another ship they will bring in to run this route or is my trip of a lifetime over before it starts?

Probably cancel, and move you to another cruise, unless the bring an outside ship to pick up her cruises

Yeah terrible news... my girlfriend was working there, we're from peru and her family and me dont know nothing about her... i dont know if this is too much to ask... here is 1:50am but if someone here is italian and it's able to get information there, plz write me right now...

Oliver,

If she was hired through an agency it would be best to contact them directly as they will get information on crew before anyone else. Otherwise you can call Costa and they can refer you who to call for crew information. Hopefully she will call you soon to say she is OK. I would guess most crew will be sent to other Costa ships or reassigned immediately through their agencies. If they can't find her another position they may fly her home. Once you hear from her please come back to let us know she is OK.;)

Katherine

IF (total speculation here) it was a problem similar to Splendor that caused it to run aground, Splendor has already had to replace the part and system. I am on Splendor in March and am not even thinking about canceling. If nothing else, this class of ship by March or April will be safer than any other with the amount of scrutiny that there will be.

Thanks for the help, I have trio insurance on the cruise but I didn't get it on the airfare! So I guess it sounds like I will have to do Italy by train! Thus was going to be my first cruise

Wouldn't think you need to worry about the trip insurance as the cruise line would have to refund if they can't put you on a different cruise. When they do make info avaialble it should also talk about air change fees etc...if not be sure to ask. Of course Italy or Europe by train would be fun as well.

Im booked on the Serena which is also doing the Savona/Rome route but i only have a deposit on it. Im actually thinking of eating the deposit and skipping the cruise or asking Costa if i can cancel and rebook for a Carribean cruise. The Serena is the sister ship to the Concordia I believe..I know if they hit a reef in the area, they will do whatever it takes to make the route safe but still..

The ship was most likely fully insured. Therefore it is completely possible for a complete restoration.

Furthermore, Carnival/Costa would be losing more money if they were to let a new ship such as this, one that has yet to pay for itself, become a wreck.

From the looks of her, Concordia is completely salvageable. If one has a hotel that were to succumb to damage that is completely repairable he or she wouldn't have the building razed. This scenario is the same, only with a much larger asset.

The cause has to be determined before insurance will make any kind of payout, and that payout only covers the ship, not the future revenue lost, so I don't think financially the company is looking for a salvage option but it will be up to the insurance company to determine if they want to salvage the vessel. What they (Costa & Carnival) will be looking for is the most cost effective solution which may not be the right solution.

- CWipes

They salvaged the Herald of Free Enterprise Car ferry off the coast of Belgium back in 1987 but no buyer could be found. Ship was eventually scrapped. (Obviously a far smaller vessel) - But say this ship was salvaged - Who would want to sail on such a ship?

What a terrible terrible day for so many people. I hope the death toll does not rise further.

People would sail - people sail the Star Princess despite the fire and death of a passenger. Or go to hotels after deadly fires such as the MGM Grand (now Bally's) in Las Vegas.

The cost of salvage or even removing the ship is going to be immense.

Let's hope there are no further casualties. Eight is already too many.

I can't see the Concordia returning to service. :( Considering all the electrical systems, engines, cabins, kitchens, the weakened hull, etc, plus the cost to get her out of the water and clean the water damage, it would probably be just as expensive to restore her as it is to build a new ship.

Then again, my mind is running wild right now, so I guess I could be exaggerating, but I really can't see her returning to service.

The cause has to be determined before insurance will make any kind of payout, and that payout only covers the ship, not the future revenue lost, so I don't think financially the company is looking for a salvage option but it will be up to the insurance company to determine if they want to salvage the vessel. What they (Costa & Carnival) will be looking for is the most cost effective solution which may not be the right solution.

- CWipes

Likely they have either a separate policy or a rider on the ship hull policy that also pays out some of the lost revenue, many businesses have business interuption coverage.

Of course regardless of coverage levels, riders, policies, Carnival-Costa has to make it right for a lot of passengers and those who were on this ship both pax and crew.

No company has the means to do so. The company gambles to break even on every cruise. Right now I bet there are about 50 lawyers at Costa & Carnival that are going over their insurance claim procedures.

It's probably up to the insurance company whether they even try to repair the ship, kind of like when you get in a car accident - the insurance company decides if it's a repair or replace. My guess is, there's too much damage for it to be cost effective to repair her.

A terrible and unthinkable tragedy. Hard to imagine how this could happen. My thoughts are with everyone concerned.

Insurance will also cover loss of business as well as retrieval. So it will be a determination of costs of retrieval versus value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's a 165 foot gash (no word how wide) so that would take on alot of water in a very short time. God's speed to all those onboard.

OMG-that would be catastrophic for anyone in the area of the gash.

I would hate to be the Captain or the person in charge of the controls when this happened.

- CWipes

Not necessarily true. There are many different types of insurance that companies carry. One important part is business interruption insurance, which would provide coverage for lost revenue.

The possibilities at this point are endless. The insurance company itself could pay the claim and it could salvage and sell or scrap the ship itself, or sell that interest to another company, etc., etc., etc., The speculation could be endless.

This seems so unreal. Costa was my very first cruising experience.

Having stood in many safety drills, I'm wondering if my station was on the side which was leaning, would I go there? How horrible for those who panic and jumped off the ship.

I still feel much safer on a ship and trusting the crew than if I was at a resort and something horrible happen. It will be interesting to hear what those on the ship say about the experience.

Praying for them all.

This is absolutely devastating to read about on its own. To a frequent cruiser even more so. I think about how fun and carefree the first day of a cruise is, and it just breaks my heart that anyone ever has to go through something like this. :(

The families of those lost will never be consoled by this tragedy, but what a stand-up crew to be able to evacuate 99% of 4000 people safely. Having been on the Carnival Splendor twice, I just can't imagine what it would be like on a ship that size that was sinking.

Just a heartbreaking situation all around, and unimaginable for those of us who have never come close to experiencing anything like this, and hopefully never will have to. I'm with several others who said they never thought they'd see this in their lifetime. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived