Italians showing off???

bazzaw

It is confirmed that the Head Waiter was from the island, hence the sail by "Hi".

It was not the head waiter, it was the head steward, Antonello Tievoli. This according to the Corriere della Sera ("Evening Courier"), which is among the oldest and most reputable Italian newspapers.

They describe a "sail past" maneuver involving making an intentional close pass by the island of Giglio, as both a salute to a retired Costa commander that lives on the island and also as a surprise for the Concordia's head steward, who used to live on the island. The article states that the steward, Antonello Tievoli, was called up to the bridge (very unusual for a steward, even the head steward) so that he could witness the ship performing a "bow"... the term that sailors use to describe sailing past some place for the benefit of a crew member.

Regarding the former Costa commander who lives on Giglio island... they identify him as Mario Palombo, and say he's "a legend among Costa Crociere’s commanders". He retired from Costa in 2006, after a heart attack. The article says that when he used to command a Costa ship, he would have the ship do a "bow" when it passed the small Italian fishing village of Camogli. And ironically, last Friday when the Costa Concordia was doing a bow to him as it hit a rock off shore of Giglio, he wasn't even on the island.

Read the full article here. The first five paragraphs focus on rescue efforts... and starting with paragraph six they get in to the stuff about the "bow" and the steward being on the bridge at the time of the collision.

Basic difference between tipping and non tipping society.

Non- tipping: you get a good wage regardless of your performance.

WRONG! You get a good wage IF your performance is good. If your performance is bad , you get "the sack!" -- I'll let you work out for yourself what that is.

Barry

Lovely post. Well said.

The Concordia, while a tad loud and garish, endeared herself to me and will always hold a dear place in my heart. So did the crew who were Amazing- professional, friendly and always ready with a smile. My heart breaks for them. Many of them had been on board 4-8 months and lost their savings because they get paid in cash. I've been in touch with several of them and many had to figure out their way to a hotel or back home because Costa has not helped them yet, nor provided food or shelter. They don't know if they will be reimbursed for their wages. It's truly criminal of both Costa and Carnival's part not take care of their own. Just based on my personal experience, I woudl think the crew behaved heroically as best they could, given the evidently lack of direction from the Captain and his Officers.

I would think that anything anyone offers up (other than the evidence of the fly-bys) is anecdotal.

We sailed Costa several years ago out of Miami. The ship itself was immaculate. The crew was mostly from the Phillipines, and they were wonderful. It was very family-friendly, and our only complaint was that the food was a little too "European" for our tastes (but the Europeans onboard loved it!).

Our understanding at the time was that Carnival had brought two Costa ships to the Caribbean because the Costa name was very familiar to European travelers. A very large percentage of our fellow passengers were in fact European - moreso than any Carnival, RCL, or NCL Caribbean cruise we have taken. Most were Italian.

The Italians from Italy were, by our standards, very pushy. They did not seem to have the same cultural expectations. There was a lot of cutting in line, etc.. At one point, an Italian-American woman from NYC got very angry at some Italians for their behavior and launched something of a tirade at them, yelling, "You are shaming Italy! You do not behave like that in this hemisphere!" Looking back, it was rather comical, but at the time it was a little nerve-wracking.

A dear friend of mine who is of Italian descent and who lived a number of her adult years in Italy laughed when I told her of our experience, and she concurred that culturally, they are not a people with a lot of patience in a crowd and that it probably comes off as arrogance to those who are not accustomed to that way of conducting oneself. She's as good-hearted as they come - it's just a cultural difference and really not an indication of anything more.

I say all of this to say that it's really impossible to know if the whole 'fly-by' business in 'comfortable and familiar waters' was entirely common there, and if it had anything to do with a culture that - by my observation, which again, is really just anecdotal - is more likely to 'go for the gusto'. My guess is that the fault lies squarely at the feet of a careless captain who could've been from anywhere on the globe.

Regardless of the cause, it's a tragedy on many, many levels. My prayers are with the families of those unaccounted for, and those who will have haunting - and terrifying - dreams of the incident for years to come. I can't imagine what it would've been like to try to work my way down a dark hallway down on a lower floor, trying to navigate around room service carts and broken dishes, crawling on what was actually 'wall' since the ship was on its side.

I also have to wonder about the couple that was rescued the next day, when the ship was fully on its side. Was the door 'up' above their heads so that they could not reach it? Or underneath their feet? I just cannot imagine it.

And I guess that's all off topic... I just can't quit remembering the beauty of the Costa ship we were on, and thinking it's just such a sad thing that such a tragedy was entirely avoidable. :(

Thsi article is the best I've read so far on what probably happened. Seems highly likely to me. The big question in my mind is whether the Captain himself in control of the ship or was someone else steering?.

It was not the head waiter, it was the head steward, Antonello Tievoli. This according to the Corriere della Sera ("Evening Courier"), which is among the oldest and most reputable Italian newspapers.

They describe a "sail past" maneuver involving making an intentional close pass by the island of Giglio, as both a salute to a retired Costa commander that lives on the island and also as a surprise for the Concordia's head steward, who used to live on the island. The article states that the steward, Antonello Tievoli, was called up to the bridge (very unusual for a steward, even the head steward) so that he could witness the ship performing a "bow"... the term that sailors use to describe sailing past some place for the benefit of a crew member.

Regarding the former Costa commander who lives on Giglio island... they identify him as Mario Palombo, and say he's "a legend among Costa Crociere’s commanders". He retired from Costa in 2006, after a heart attack. The article says that when he used to command a Costa ship, he would have the ship do a "bow" when it passed the small Italian fishing village of Camogli. And ironically, last Friday when the Costa Concordia was doing a bow to him as it hit a rock off shore of Giglio, he wasn't even on the island.

Read the full article here. The first five paragraphs focus on rescue efforts... and starting with paragraph six they get in to the stuff about the "bow" and the steward being on the bridge at the time of the collision.

Thsi article is the best I've read so far on what probably happened. Seems highly likely to me. The big question in my mind is whether the Captain himself in control of the ship or was someone else steering?.

makes me wonder if there's any video from shore. this is not something you catch by accident/

Was the Captain steering ? no the Auto pilot would have been or the senior officer on the Bridge plus a Navigator at the time! why do people think the Captain is always on the Bridge!!!

The ship last went close to the Island last August and it is claimed by the CEO that it was 500 metres from the shoreline!!

Was the Captain steering ? no the Auto pilot would have been or the senior officer on the Bridge plus a Navigator at the time! why do people think the Captain is always on the Bridge!!!

Really. you want to know why I ask that? Well right off the top of my head I would think it was him because he was leaving port and was trying a tricky and what's ultimately proven to be a dangerous maneuver

Well since everyone seems to be hijacking this thread let me do it also.

me too!

I LOVE CUPCAKE!!!!!

ahem, back to the topic.

It'll be interesting to see what captain has to say about all this, was it just him doing this dangerous "fly by" or whatever it's called? did costa know about this and let him continue on?

also, it must've been quite irritating for the residents, if it continued ever so often, i know i would be

Really. you want to know why I ask that? Well right off the top of my head I would think it was him because he was leaving port and was trying a tricky and what's ultimately proven to be a dangerous maneuver

Cubella59

You really should try to keep up with all of this. The ship was NOT leaving port!

]No Captain would risk his career to 'show off' his cruise ship by traveling close to shore.[/color] The ships charts and systems are recorded and those in charge would want some answers if they did get that close to shore. Not to mention the coast guard would do to that Captain.

I believe the sounding of the ships horn in the video was to warn smaller boats in the area. This video could be taken because a Costa ship accidentally was too close to shore.

Now that we know that's what he did, would you like to retract that statement?

I think the Corriere della Sera newspaper (or perhaps the English translation of it on their web site) is incorrect about Antonello Tievoli being the head "steward".

From everything I've seen elsewhere, he was the head waiter or Maitre D'.

One news site even had a picture that they said was him, posing in the dining room with some passengers.

[quote name=Spaniel Lover;31989055

Regarding the former Costa commander who lives on Giglio island... they identify him as Mario Palombo' date=' and say he's "a legend among Costa Crociere’s commanders". He retired from Costa in 2006, after a heart attack. The article says that when he used to command a Costa ship, he would have the ship do a "bow" when it passed the small Italian fishing village of Camogli. And ironically, last Friday when the Costa Concordia was doing a bow to him as it hit a rock off shore of Giglio, he wasn't even on the island.

.[/quote]

I first met Captain Palombo when when he was on Home Line's ATLANTIC some 30 years ago. A gentleman.

Unfortunately, the Company is ALSO to blame - BIG TIME BLAME. Allowing the Captain to make these periodic sail-by's so close to Giglio was, in my opinion, condoning a reckless behavior. And now we see the result of such behavior.

Don't try to claim Costa never knew that Concordia would make these major course shifts - every movement by the ship is transmitted continuously to Costa. Costa knew what he was doing - they just did not know it was going to be 150 meters closer than last time. This is tantamount to having a 747 buzzing your house at 500 feet or less a few times and then wondering why it crashed on the last buzz job. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the Company is ALSO to blame - BIG TIME BLAME. Allowing the Captain to make these periodic sail-by's so close to Giglio was, in my opinion, condoning a reckless behavior. And now we see the result of such behavior.

Don't try to claim Costa never knew that Concordia would make these major course shifts - every movement by the ship is transmitted continuously to Costa. Costa knew what he was doing - they just did not know it was going to be 150 meters closer than last time. This is tantamount to having a 747 buzzing your house at 500 feet or less a few times and then wondering why it crashed on the last buzz job. :rolleyes:

Sounds about exactly right. The captain may take the hit in criminal law, but tort law tends to sniff out those with deeper pockets. Costa is taking evasive action from tort liability quicker than the captain did from the rocks. I doubt if they will totally escape - Captain is responsible for the ship, Costa is responsible for the captain.

And so it has come to pass

..that the original poster's original allegation of "Showing Off" has now come to be verified!

Such confirmations coming from Costa Cruises upper management structure!

Can't get it much straighter from the horse's mouth than that, can you?? ;)

Concordia_route_464.gif

Those who thought it unlikely or impossible are now having quite a rethink.

Even the management has to wait for the black box. I think their current statements are to protect them and shift the blame from the corporate. They may be true but too early to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Italians showing off ???"

I've read most of the replies by Bazz and it still sounds rascist to me. Sorry

Why would you type Italians, in the plural, when you were refering to one person..the captain of the Costa Concordia and not the people of Italy

"Italians showing off ???"

I've read most of the replies by Bazz and it still sounds rascist to me. Sorry

Why would you type Italians, in the plural, when you were refering to one person..the captain of the Costa Concordia and not the people of Italy

it it were new york, would "new yorkers showing off" offend you?

the things people make issues over.....

I supose I would if 11 souls lost their lives.....

That would imply that all New Yorkers are irresponsible..

But enough, that is my opinion, only

(As an aside. I cruised on the Pacific Jewel out of Australia last October. We had an amazing Italian Comander)

I'll concede that my (deliberate) use of the word "Italians" could be perceived by some to be "nationalist" - but not "racist".

First of all Italians are not a "race" - even if somebody insists that they are, then they would be Caucasians (same as me). So I cannot be regarded as "racist".

However I do have certain perceptions of different countries that I have visited, where I have observed the general character of the overall population. I have observed that overall, the Germans are not well known for their cooking but are recognised as fine Engineers. I have observed that the general dress style of the British (in the street) is far inferior to that of the Italians. I have observed that the French are known as excellent cooks. I have observed that Italian women are beautiful and have flair - but Italian men are well known for their machismo and bravado.

Of course, there are always exceptions - but can anyone here honestly say that they have no overall perceptions of what the people of a country are like. What perception do you have of Australians?? I am sure you will all have one - some will have positive perceptions and some will have negative ones.

None of us have minds like blank pages - we have all filled in the pages of our minds from either personal experience or from what we have learned form others.

Too much political correctness in our world!

An old - but good joke!!

The definition of Heaven and Hell:

In Heaven:

The police are English,

the cooks are French,

the mechanics are German,

the Italians are the lovers,

and it is all organized by the Swiss.

In Hell:

The English are the cooks,

the French are the mechanics,

the police are German,

the Swiss are the lovers,

and it is all organized by the Italians.

Barry

it it were new york, would "new yorkers showing off" offend you?

the things people make issues over.....

Of course it's a bigoted comment by the OP! I've dealt with his type all my life who throw out inflammatory remarks then stand back and say it's all a misunderstanding. Nonsense! It is what it is . . . bigotry! He said what he wanted to say and smugly denies culpability. Not fooling me fella.

Archived