Just home from Eurodam. Some thoughts...

DFD1

DFD1 and others. I didn't mean to disappear. This note got burried by the time I got back and I just thought it had ended. Thank you so very much for the info on Tamarind and Seadrifter, thank you for the link.

We've spent a couple trips in Asia, so this definitely intrigues me and we will be sure to go. I know that I've heard people say that they have gone there for lunch but that they didn't enjoy it, although they enjoyed dinner there. Does anyone know what they are doing for lunch that is making it not be such a hit?

Cathy

Nice review. We'll be on the Eurodam next year.

Good to read that HAL will not have ships larger than N.A.

Personally, I wouldn't bet the farm on it. There are UNSUBSTANTIATED rumors rolling around about a 104,000+ ton ship...... only rumors and no official announcements. Until an official announcement about the next ship HAL will build, I will continue to believe it will be larger than Signature Class ships. JMO..

We will be taking our first cruise in March on the Eurodam and my question to you since you just sailed....are there any late night chocolate buffets? :p Ive heard of these but have yet to read any on HAL website.

Thanks ~~Angie

Every HAL cruise has a Choclate Extravaganza that includes lots of chocolate. :)

The OP's comment about no new HAL ships in the smaller categories, saddens but does not surprise me. On a recent cruise one of the officers stated that the profitability of these small ships are no where near as great as the larger ones. Makes sense of course - spreading overhead to more passengers.

DaveOKC

We will be taking our first cruise in March on the Eurodam and my question to you since you just sailed....are there any late night chocolate buffets? :p Ive heard of these but have yet to read any on HAL website.

Thanks ~~Angie

Oh..the chocolate! Yumm. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it! This was certainly one of my favorite nights on the E-dam. So much cotton candy, delicious rolls, fruit, sugar, chocolate coated apples and so much chocolate. Our friends son got a huge surprise when one of the waiters pulled off the gigantic chocolate cake decoration and plopped it on his plate.

Yes! there is a large chocolate buffet and you should bring your camera!!!

DFD1 is right about the weather is was great. The captain even remarked a couple times in his announcements about the nice weather. I had wanted to try the Eurodam but prefer the smaller size ships. It seemed like the retreat area cut off your ability to access parts of the ship easily. I do not know for sure but it did not seem to be full and only one or two of the lido "retreats" were booked. It made the pool area seem smaller. both pool areas were busy so more people were up in the 10th and 11th floor areas mid ship and even up front on 12.

Maybe this is a topic for the main page but i think the Facebook page for roll calls is affecting cruise critic meet and greets. We did not have many show up for ours. The Philly group may have affected this too. Has anyone noticed a change in attendance? It was great meeting our little group. I'd be curious what anyone else thinks.

michelle

Excellent review, thanks for posting.

We been on the Eurodam for a 14 day, 10 and 7 day cruise.

The worse area for vibration is the Neptune Lounge. Our suite is always near or directly across from the Neptune. And on our 10 day cruise we got caught in a hurricane. 75 MPH winds, 25 ft seas, the vibration was worse that day. ;)

We had spent the night in Charlottetown, PEI. Our Captain said that way we would miss the hurricane. The next day Sept 21, 2009 at sea in Hurricane force winds. The Captain apologized, said his weather forecast hadn't been correct.

Lots of people got sick but didn't bother wife and I.

The Neptune Lounge is about midship. We found the vibration to be worse midship on every deck. On Lido Deck, it was much worse in the area where the lido pool transitions into the lido restaurant, about midship, around the lido pool bar.

It takes quite a vibration to shake a ship that size up through 9 decks.

Whatever it is, I hope they correct it soon.

Sail, About larger ships....I was just repeating what Captain Bowland said about new ships not likely to be larger than Eurodam. I have no actual knowledge about what or when HAL is going to build. It is my opinion that no more small ships will be built. Captain Bowland also indicated this in his remarks.

Archived