Children, Women and Men Last - Not sure this is the best order of abandoning ship

Bonnielass

Dear All

Firstly my thoughts and prayers to all of the passengers and crew of the Concordia. A tragic situation for all involved.

I am not sure that i agree with the order or evacuating the ship, children, women and men last.

I am a fifty five female and frequently cruise with my two sons who are 23 and 25. I would gladly give up my place in a lifeboat for one of those in order to give them a chance of survival and i am sure my mum of 84 would feel the same.

Perhaps it should be families first, ie those with children under eighteen.

I would appreciate your comments.

I think women and children first, and men can swim is fair, although, nowadays, and as proved, most people did get off in a lifeboat, despite the difficulties initially launching these. Lifeboat space is available to all I believe on a modern ship. (there are the inflatables as well as the stored ones i believe??)

First come, first served.

God I hope in a tragic situation such as this one you are joking. I think it is in poor taste no matter what! This is such a sad thing to happen to anyone, sadly there were people who thought like that and pushed there way through.:rolleyes:

I think women and children first, and men can swim is fair, although, nowadays, and as proved, most people did get off in a lifeboat, despite the difficulties initially launching these. Lifeboat space is available to all I believe on a modern ship. (there are the inflatables as well as the stored ones i believe??)

I'm a much stronger swimmer than my son or husband. In fact neither of them is a strong swimmer.

Women want equality, but only where it suits them.

First come first served doesn't work when there's pushing and shoving.

I agree I would give my place up to my son. But as has been noted, modern ships have plenty of space. But in an emergency, organization is very important.

As for lasting in the water, that depends on the temperature. In very cold water it hardly matters.

God I hope in a tragic situation such as this one you are joking. I think it is in poor taste no matter what! This is such a sad thing to happen to anyone, sadly there were people who thought like that and pushed there way through.:rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting pushing people out of the way, but think about the log jam you create at the lifeboats trying to separate families and tell people they can't board after they've gotten there. You'd waste precious minutes arguing with people--time that if you just got people on to a life raft and then moved down to the next one in an orderly manner might save lives.

the heck with the kids also! everybody can pop another one out, right? those little ones need to know life is touch and it ain't fair

What about the disabled? The elderly? Where do you draw the line? You ASSume that all men are capable of saving themselves.

that's why i guess first come first serve works, if you're old, weak, disabled and can't get to the life boat on time? tough noogie! maybe better luck next life.

Wow over react much?

I think the emphasis should be on saving HUMAN life. An orderly evacuation of PEOPLE as they arrive would be most conducive to saving most lives. As some one pointed out earlier why waste time culling out those that 'deserve' a spot and arguing with those that don't?

Would you also advocate men stay inside a burning building to allow you to exit first?

I got on with my family and I will darn well get off with them too. I would never dream of expecting anyone leave a family member behind to satisfy someone else's requirement of an antiquated tradition.

"I think women and children first, and men can swim is fair, although, nowadays, and as proved, most people did get off in a lifeboat, despite the difficulties initially launching these. Lifeboat space is available to all I believe on a modern ship. (there are the inflatables as well as the stored ones i believe??"

kristy r-you suggest men are more disposable than women in your post

"I think women and children first, and men can swim is fair, although, nowadays, and as proved, most people did get off in a lifeboat, despite the difficulties initially launching these. Lifeboat space is available to all I believe on a modern ship. (there are the inflatables as well as the stored ones i believe??"

I thought this posting was a bit of bait. What about men who can't swim???? Should they just be left to drown?

And also assuming all men can swim, a huge fallacy. And exceedingly unfair. Women want equality in the work force but still expect men to hold doors and give up their seats on the bus. Can't have it both ways, I'm afraid.

BTW I'm a professional woman and competent swimmer married to a guy that would drown in the bath tub. I would NOT consider leaving him behind.

I think in most cases men are more physically stronger than women, because our bodies are built different, therefore i think they have more chance at survival.

and of course i don't expect men to wait for me to get out of the burning building before they do, but then again when you run "outside" of burning building, there will be enough space for all, unlike life boat where there are limited spaces, so you can't really compare those two.

anyways, I don't wanna get into the whole feminist movement for equality or old "antiquated tradition". I stated my reason on top and that's my opinion.

I think in most cases men are more physically stronger than women, because our bodies are built different, therefore i think they have more chance at survival.

and of course i don't expect men to wait for me to get out of the burning building before they do, but then again when you run "outside" of burning building, there will be enough space for all, unlike life boat where there are limited spaces, so you can't really compare those two.

Maybe you aren't considering the bottleneck at the door trying to get out of that burning building? Google "The Station Fire" for a better understanding of how bottlenecks kill people. Having people arguing over who gets to go first creates a bottleneck and blocks everyone behind them.

Archived