Royal Caribbean Complaint - Seeking Resolution

tgunth

Originally Posted by tgunth viewpost.gif

On Jan 26, 2004, I ...

When I started reading this original post, I truly thought there was a typo on the date. :eek:

I do totally understand why you didn't go another cruise with RCCL right after that debacle in 2004. You were angry and did the only thing you knew to do -- refused to give them any business. You knowingly let your $100 compensation credit expire.

Now we fast-forward to 2012. You know your credit has expired, but you decide to hand over your hard earned money for another cruise anyway.

You essentially are starting with a clean slate.

You either need to wipe it clean completely -- meaning get over what happened eight years ago - or you need to cancel your cruise with RCCL and go somewhere else.

Best wishes to you whatever you decide.

We sailed on Voyager 1-7-2012. We stayed in the Royal Suite and when the concierge took us to see and explain the rooms features he handed me an envelope with a letter saying we were being extended a 20% discount of our total cruise fare towards our next sailing. The reason: The interactive system on the TV in the living room was not functioning properly. The TV, sat system and surround sound all worked fine. I never would have thought a thing about it and thought the gesture was certainly more than proper.

I was very impressed with the treatment without a word from me In expectation.

Seriously - you want to make a big stink eight years later?! Come on, be real.

If you're still carrying around this anti-RCCL baggage, you won't be happy on the cruise. You will, consciously or not, look for evidence of rudeness to prove your "RCCL = rude" bias. I'm not saying you deserved the angst you went through, nor am I saying someone wasn't rude to you eight years ago. I have no idea. I wasn't there. But I do know what it's like to go on a trip when your head is not in a positive place about it. You only see the negative and have blinders to the positive. You won't get all the "happy happy joy jpy" you paid for.

Take the young ones on a Disney cruise instead. Everyone will be happy.

You know, I don't much care for the "entitlement" mentality that our society seems to have adopted as of late. It seems to be getting worse and worse...BUT

I have been a member of cruisecritic for about 6 years... I have enjoyed reading many posts and have gotton TONS of good advice from people on here over the years...

HOWEVER I have noticed a trend: People on here are getting more and more MEAN SPIRITED and SARCASTIC and downright SNOTTY on this board. I don't know if it is that way on the other forums on CruiseCritic... I only come here because I only cruise RCCL....

The original poster might be a little out of line or misgiven, looking for compensation 8 years later... but does it really warrant all the snarky, snotty, arrogant, irritated, whiney, attacking comments that some people throw out there?

I mean, come ON people, the whole premise of this board and website is based on CRUISING... VACATIONS.... HAPPY TIMES.... are you really all that freaking miserable that you have to shred someone you don't even know because they ask a question you don't agree with? I have seen this on ALOT of threads here...

Geez people, what ever happened to civility and human dignity? Would you really be so snotty if you were face to face with some of the original posters you lambaste so much?

I used to point people to this message board for information, but I don't any more... because of this type of behavior.

So let me get this straight... They offered to accommodate you and you declined and demanded your money back, which they gave back to you... You still got your wedding, and demanded even more from the cruise line and got a $100 voucher on a future sailing that you decided not to use... and now EIGHT YEARS LATER, you're trying to demand even more from the cruise line?

GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK. :mad:

This type of "THE WORLD OWES ME" mentality drives me up the wall. I'd understand it if RCCL wouldn't accommodate your wedding (and wasn't 8 years ago), but they offered to and YOU decided to walk away. They even offered you a $100 voucher. Again, YOU decided not to use it.

This is dust in the wind.

this....

I think you should book another cruise line as I don't believe Royal Caribbean should or will do anything for you at this late date. You seem to still dislike them and their policies, so have you and DH some annoyance and book another line.

I am not saying they were right with what they did for you, but geez, it's way past time to get over it. At least 7 years past time.

I don't expect anything from RCCL at this point, but I do think I deserve more than the $100 they offered. Yes, it has been a long time, no doubt, but I haven't sailed since. I would be going to them with a bit of humble pie.

All 20 people had fully paid and this came to light after their trips were non-refundable. They were coming for my wedding, which almost didn't happen. The paid reservation was made 8 months prior to sailing and it was only several weeks before the wedding when I found out they didn't even schedule it! It wasn't a 24 hr wait to hear they could accommodate me.....this took over a week after they had my "proof".

I canceled not solely because of they lost my reservation, but because they were incredibly rude to me even after this incredible situation.

When I started to read your post I thought it was a recent wedding. Then to discover it was eight years ago. Come on. You need to let this issue go and accept some responsiblity that you should have be more proactive eight years ago in seeking a satisfactory resolution. You took the $100 they offered you. If you weren't happy with what they gave it you should have return it to them with a letter/fax/email stating why you were not happy with the level of compensation.

Edited by icat2000

Maybe instead of a cruise, she should've bought a Delta Faucet. I purchased one several years ago. Recently a part broke. I called up and explained the part, approximately when it was purchased, etc. The person on the other end took down my name, address, gave me shipping times, etc. At the end I asked about any payment. The guy responded "You bought a Delta. It has a lifetime warranty". :) BTW, the part arrived sooner than quoted.

Moral of the story: Um...I don't know. Find a cruise with a lifetime guarantee maybe??

We had a similar situation with Delta. Don't you just LOVE it when companies treat you like that! Highly recommend Delta!

I am not being mean spirited but this whole thread is a bit silly. Looking for compensation from 8 years ago? Really? :D

Hold on, i was out walking 15 years ago and some drunk jock ran me over in his pickup causing me serious injury. I sued his @$$, he settled the lawsuit and i got paid, you mean i can not go back and ask for more money like 15 years later?

Your pulling my prosthetic leg!

Hold on, i was out walking 15 years ago and some drunk jock ran me over in his pickup causing me serious injury. I sued his @$$, he settled the lawsuit and i got paid, you mean i can not go back and ask for more money like 15 years later?

Your pulling my prosthetic leg!

If you were 3 years old at the time, you most likely can go back.

Gina

Need some advice...On Jan 26, 2004, I got married on the beach while in port in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Let me say it turned out beautiful, and I will never forget that day. We sailed on the Enchantment of the Seas along with 20 friends and family......now for the not so good RCCL PR part. We booked our wedding through Royal Romance Weddings (RCCL wedding Dept) 8 months prior to departure and paid our $995 deposit for the wedding. We were told that we would be contacted about four weeks prior to departure to finalize plans and get our preferences on options they offered. Let me add that we had originally planned to get married on the ship (not the beach....as port stops were not guaranteed) and our wedding invitations reflect this onboard location. We were in full wedding planning mode as months later 20 reservations were secured and balances paid. In the months leading up to departure I had been in communication with their wedding Dept to ask general questions, then one day, about two months prior to departure I called their Dept again, but this time it was specific to my reservation. They could not find my reservation! On top of this, they didn't think they could accommodate my wedding as other weddings were now booked (after mine btw).....seriously....are you kidding me! They actually asked me to prove that I had paid my deposit! You could only imagine my stress....we and 20 other guests were expecting a wedding in only a matter of weeks! After escalating this situation, they said they could accommodate me, but the attitude I was given was that I should be thankful instead of upset! After many sleepless nights, I called them back and demanded my deposit back.....and yet again, unbelievably they gave me a hard time saying it was too late to cancel. I just about lost it. After escalating the situation again, they refunded my money. I booked with "A Wedding For You" who quickly took care of all the details to situate a wedding in Jamaica. My only worry was if we would be diverted from that port, but it was January, so I took the risk.....I didn't really have much of a choice. When I escalated the situation, I asked if they could give me anything for the chaos and stress that I was put through....they gave me a $100 voucher for a FUTURE sailing.....not my wedding cruise. Really, was this the best you could do? Now, fast forward to today....I just booked a 5-day western on Liberty and this will be our first cruise since our wedding as we have two little ones, ages 3 and 6....so all these years, I felt my kids were a bit young for a cruise. We are now ready, but I still feel a bit of resentment towards RCCL, but this ship had so much to offer for the little ones, that I just had to book this ship. I realize this was many years ago, (and the small voucher expired long ago), but I feel they owe me something....money off, shipboard credit, or preferrably a considerable upgrade (we booked an OV as I'm not holding my breath). This could have been a complete disaster.....at least I lost a ton of weight because of the stress.....a bride's dream. Interestingly enough, our upcoming cruise is to Ocho Rios....so I am so excited to show our kids where we got married! Any advice on who to contact for some resolution to this? Our cruise is April 9, 2012 so we are less than 90 days out. We are only on deck 2, and paying out the nose for that, but I will be happy with this anyway if I can't get anything better....it is a bit late in the game. If they can't recognize their mistake, I may just stick with Disney CL! Thanks, and sorry so long! Regardless of all this, we are still very happily married (8 yrs), have two beautiful children and are so blessed.

-Tammy

I don't expect anything from RCCL at this point, but I do think I deserve more than the $100 they offered. Yes, it has been a long time, no doubt, but I haven't sailed since. I would be going to them with a bit of humble pie.

All 20 people had fully paid and this came to light after their trips were non-refundable. They were coming for my wedding, which almost didn't happen. The paid reservation was made 8 months prior to sailing and it was only several weeks before the wedding when I found out they didn't even schedule it! It wasn't a 24 hr wait to hear they could accommodate me.....this took over a week after they had my "proof".

I canceled not solely because of they lost my reservation, but because they were incredibly rude to me even after this incredible situation.

What on earth makes you think RCCL owes you anything? They offered to accomodate your wedding, but YOU chose to cancel and go with an outside vendor. You got your cruise you paid for, and you got your wedding you paid for. They didn't even owe you the $100 they gave you 8 years ago.

Will this entitlement mentality ever end?

You might want to check the RCL web site. Weddings are performed ashore. They do receptions on the ship, but never weddings.

The whole story sounds like a fairytale.

Our first day on the Majesty, the Royal Viking Lounge was closed until just before the Muster Drill because they were having a wedding in there.

Our first day on the Majesty, the Royal Viking Lounge was closed until just before the Muster Drill because they were having a wedding in there.

The poster you qouted was mistaken.

RCI can do weddings aboard the ship while in port. They cannot do weddings at sea though.

To my knowledge, Celebrity and Azamara are the only two cruise lines that can do weddings while at sea because their ships are registered in a country(Malta) that allows it.

Edited by wreckem2013

Hi All,

I believe that dlong1969 is correct and that our message boards have become more uncivilized than when I first joined way back when; however, messages like tgunth can really get people fired up. People expecting entitlement for something that happened 8 years ago. This case in point, she feels she is entitled to something.

That is a post that should not have ever been posted because it is so riduculous. For her to say, life got busy and she didn't book another cruise with RCCL becuae of busyness of life but she had time to book with with Disney. Yes, life gets busy but important things get taken care of. Obviously this was not that important to her until now??

She seems to like Disney so stay with them. Obviously Disney has not escalated any situations with her.

Again, I am not trying to be witchy, rude or ignorant but some things should be just common knowledge, this is one of them. You don't walk away from something, then years later say ok, I will take you up on that offer.

I once dated a millionaire, wanted to marry me, I didn't for reasons my own, should I now in this economy look him up and say hey is that marriage offer still on the table. I don't think so.. You make decisions, right or wrong, you stick with them and deal with the consequences.

She will probably not get anything nor should she 8 years later. Humble Pie or not. RCCL will try to work with you when you have a legitimate case. I was just in touch with RCCL Corporate today, they took my issues and we worked out a satisfactory agreement, very nice, no escalating, very accomodating. I do believe it is all how you present yourself. I didn't wait 8 years to see what they would do for me either.

So dlong1969, yes the message boards have gotten less civilized but some people who believe in entitlement need to be brought back to reality and realize it isn't all about them.

First, regarding Royal Weddings. DW and I got married on a cruise. We first talked to Royal Weddings and the woman we spoke with was clueless and very unhelpful. Like you, tgunth, we took our chances and booked through a private planner in our first port-of-call, St. Thomas. It ended up a great day. To that note, I'd like to point out, you mentioned 20 people booked nonrefundable cruises for a wedding that almost didn't happen. Well, the wedding did happen, so those 20 people are irrelevant in all of this.

To ehfle, when we were first looking to book through Royal Weddings, they were going to give us Cloud 9 up in the Viking Crown on Adventure for our wedding. So as several others have mentioned, they do wed on board.

I realize $100 seems trivial. You were planning a wedding which is stressful enough, especially for the bride. But RCI's correct response would have been to compensate you a little better 8 years ago on that Enchantment cruise. Now, for a Liberty cruise, sorry, but I don't think they owe you anything based on a bad experience with Royal Weddings 8 years ago. JMO. In fact you may be in for another disappointment. That future cruise certificate may be expired.

Edited by Aquahound

When I worked in hospitality we were trained to handle customer complaints and compensation by asking ourselves this: "what good faith promise did we break to this guest?"! Other than a few days of misplacing your reservation, RC came through on every part of their deal. You chose to cancel and IMO were very lucky to get anything. At best they might extend the expiration of the credit they gave you.

But let's keep this in perspective. You didn't lose anything, you didn't suffer any physical or mental injury, you merely had a few days where they couldn't find your reservation. As far as horrific wedding mistakes could go, yours is very minimal.

If they are gracious enough to honor your expired certificate, I would consider it settled.

Wishing you a very happy cruise!