NE/Canada or Alaska?

ekerr19

Oh, I have a dilemma - we decided to book a summer cruise last week. We needed to find something requiring DH to miss little work - he's pretty busy right now - and that wouldn't put too much of a dent in the wallet as we just returned from our cruise on the Volendam.

After much research, I found two cruises. One is the 8/27/05 sailing on the Maasdam from Boston to Montreal. I've always wanted to do this cruise and I have family in and around Boston, but we can't do too much of a "pre-cruise" visit because of DH's schedule.

The second (though I've never really wanted to cruise here - the family does) is RT from Seattle to Alaska on the Amsterdam 8/21/05.

What surprised me was the pricing for both is very close, but the Alaska sailing is a better deal. What surprised me even more - and I thought would be the deciding factor - is the airfare for both is the same! Even with the multi-city sailing on the Maasdam, air on United is $388, compared to $350 RT to Seattle on Frontier.

I am sort of leaning towards the Alaska because I think I'd like to do Canada/NE when we have more time for "pre-cruise" and "post-cruise" visits. I'd love to be able to spend a few days in each city - but DH must be back. Also, Seattle is such a great city - and I'd like to try the Grand Hyatt Seattle, which I understand is fairly new.

I guess I've always thought of cruising Alaska as "the blue rinse ladies" cruises and I've always been somewhat ambivalent... I also wonder if the kids would like it - are their lots of younger people and families, or just folks looking to escape the summer heat???? Any suggestions or input? I need to deposit tomorrow.

We've done both - and think Alaska would be our 1st choice.

Both are very pretty.

Late August is probably too early for the "fall foliage" in NE Canada, which is one of the main reasons for that itinerary. When the colors change, and you hit it right - it certainly is stunning.

Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?

Alaska. Hands down.

Now, I was born and raised in New England, so cruising those waters has no appeal to me (the ship would be the destination, should I go). It's also very easy to see New England (and Quebec & Ontario provinces - even the Maritimes) by flying into Boston and driving.

You can't drive to most of the ports on an Alaska cruise.

There are no bald eagles, and few other magnificent animals, on view in NE (the occasional chipmunk doesn't count!).

Planked halibut, alder-smoked salmon - or baked beans! (actually, the best baked beans I've ever had were at Taku Lodge near Juneau. But the setting and ambience probably influenced my taste a lot!).

As it says at the end of our diary from the 2000 trip, "Alaska, unlike most places we have visited that were on our must-see-someday list, is still on the list. Put it on yours, too."

The 2001 diary ends with "Goodbye, Alaska or, more likely, au revoir!"

Our 2005 diary will most likely end in a similar fashion.

Dog Mommie

I think there would be a better chance of "fall foliage" late Sep/early Oct, than August.

1st time we did NE Canada, early Oct 92, we hit the colors just right!

2nd time, mid Sep 97, we were too early.

I think hitting them just right is somewhat like sea states - it is a crapshoot.

I live in New England, I would suggest if you were ever going to do the New England cruise to do it in September when the foliage is visible and you can visit with your DH's family a bit. August is too early for foliage. My vote that time of year, would be Alaska on the Amsterdam, which is just like the Volendam, but I think a tad bit better.

Dog mommie, yes there should definately be colors by then, its beautiful.

Alaska for me also. We did the Canada/NE cruise years ago and although we enjoyed seeing parts of our own country (Canada) we preferred our 2 cruises to Alaska twice. Saw something different each time we went.

Dog Mommie - possibly but that is still a little early for colour.

I have never been on either itinerary, however, like Dave, I was born and raised in New England. I would do Alsaka hands down. Save New England for when you can go in late September and see the foliage fireworks.

I would also hesitate to book a cruise on the Maasdam until it went a month or so without propulsion problems. I don't think the Maasdam has met a scheduled itenerary out of Norfolk this year. I can't say whether the problem is one with this ship (except the past two weeks with the blown engine) or that the itinerary itself is too tight to attain given the sea conditions in the Atlantic. But I would be wary untill the ship goes some time WITHOUT issues.

If I had not previously cruised both itineraries, Alaska would be my choice. A few of the positives about AK:

1. Smooth sailing for the greater part of your journey (Out of Seattle can be a bit rougher than Vancouver)

2. Great, uncrowded ports of call with no 'high pressure' sales tactics

3. Incredible scenery throughout your journey

4. Cruisers have a tendency to be more laid back than Carib. cruisers

That being said, the best cruise that my wife and I have ever personally taken was our 10 Day Rotterdam New York - Montreal cruise. The itinerary was fabulous and the fjords of Eastern Canada are breathtaking. But for the price, go AK.

Oh, I have a dilemma - we decided to book a summer cruise last week. We needed to find something requiring DH to miss little work - he's pretty busy right now - and that wouldn't put too much of a dent in the wallet as we just returned from our cruise on the Volendam.

I live in NE.

1) As much as I agree with others about foliage..you can also hit a not so nice weather at the end of September.

2) I also want to try Alaska , but I am sure it will "put too much of a dent in our wallet". People usually advise to do cruise-tour which is more expensive than just cruise. Also excursions there are usually pretty expensive.

I did an Alaskan Cruise last summer with my two teenage boys, and we had an absolutely wonderful time.

We did a cruisetour (land tour first), and then cruised on the Veendam from Anchorage to Vancouver, B.C. In don’t know if the Seattle RT has a different crowd, but it didn’t seem to be a blue-hair cruise (now I remember when calling someone a ‘blue-hair’ CLARIFIED their age group …. Now it could mean 85-90 or 13-15.) We had a nice mix of ages. Not a lot of teens, but that wasn’t a problem. My older son made friends with other photographers, and my 13 yo hung out with me, went swimming every day, and watched a few movies. We had an absolutely fabulous time – no one was ever bored, and the week seemed to just fly by.

We splurged for a balcony and that was a great decision. While we did most of our glacier viewing from the public decks, it was great to sit outside in the morning before they woke up, and also it made the space seem larger – 3 in a verandah suite was a little cozy.

Whatever you choose -- hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I guess I've always thought of cruising Alaska as "the blue rinse ladies" cruises and I've always been somewhat ambivalent... I also wonder if the kids would like it - are their lots of younger people and families, or just folks looking to escape the summer heat???? Any suggestions or input? I need to deposit tomorrow.
Since Alaska seems to be the majority opinion (our vote too), I'll take on this part of your question. We've taken 4 Alaskan cruises since 1980 (#5 will be in May).

There are more and more families cruising Alaska. Even in 1980 we had more families aboard than we'd seen in the Caribbean. We've seen kids from strollers to teens/20s each time. Now, it is still HAL, the ship won't be overrun with kids. Since you are looking at late Aug, school will have already started in some parts of the country, so probably a few less kids than usual. There are plenty of 'active' shore excursions to keep them busy too.

Thanks everyone - great input and I appreciate it. I had forgotten the recent problems with the Maasdam, thanks for the reminder! We love the Amsterdam - it was our kids first cruise, through the Panama Canal - we have decided to go with Alaska. :)

Because the ship leaves on Sunday, we can go out Thursday night (DH & I are both usually off on Fridays) and spend a couple days pre-cruise at the Hyatt. I love Seattle and the kids have never been, so they are pretty excited.

Plus, I will finally get to meet my TA in person!

I've done the Canada/NE and loved it, but would definetely vote for Alaska. July and August are the months to visit Seattle- my favorite city- and the Amsterdam would be my preference over the Maasdam. Plus, there should be a lot more kids on board the Alaska cruise and I think yours would enjoy that cruise a lot more besides.

Only suggestion would be to look into a stay at the Edgewater rather than the downtown Hyatt. You can feed the seagulls right from your window and the view on the Puget Sound is spectacular.

Laura, good for you!!! You doing exactly what I hoped we could do next year,but:( it looks like the Amsterdam will not be doing Alaska next year instead it looks like the Zaandam. This puts me in a a trick bag because we want to do Alaska Spring 2006 but we want to go out of Seattle on a 7 day RT the two that look like they will be doing that will be Oosterdam and Zaandam and we will have just been on the Oosterdam in October plus we did Oosterdam Alaska in 2004 and we are now in the close to booking stage for 10 day Zaandam in November 2006. Oh how I wish we could HAL would change what I am hearing and have another S or R class ship be doing the 7 day Alaska out of Seattle for 2006.

Laura, I think you will love the Alaska cruise, Tom and I were so sure we would not like it and were just going for the cruise and to go with friends and we were so surprised it was breathtaking and so much fun. Plus I came back so relaxed.

Laura: I think you made a good choice with the Alaska cruise--it is our favorite cruise destination so far. We lived in NE for 3 years and as much as we enjoyed it (an want to do a NE/C cruise someday), and for all the reasons given above, especially by dakrewser, Alaska gets the edge, IMO, especially on the Amsterdam! We are going back to Alaska next month for the third time, so that tells you how much we enjoy it up there. :)

You made your choice before I got to chime in! No fair!

I was going to recommend Alaska, too. Glad to see that's what you chose.

I've been to Alaska three times, with a fourth trip planned for next year. I've done the NYC-Montreal cruise twice. Alaska wins hands down.

Since you do want to do the NE/Canada cruise you will get that one in eventually. Might as well do Alaska when the price is reasonable.

You will be going to a beautiful part of the country, on a gorgeous ship. There will be much for your kids to see/do, and there will be others their age they can pal-around with.

You're gonna love it!

Thanks again to everyone - Peaches, I will check out the Edgewater... I already told my kids about the Cheesecake Factory (their favorite restaurant) on the corner where the Hyatt is located, so it might be hard-sell, but the seagulls at Edgewater may be persuasive enough!

We are looking at Suites right now, hard to decide, not too many left - but it's the only category where the four of us can be in the same room and still have a balcony, which I think is a real plus in Alaska. Btw - the 3/4 person rates on this sailing are ridiculously low - another selling point.

Ok, now I'm getting excited! :D

Yes, I would have opted for Alaska too -- as much as New England (Maine specifically) is one of my favourite places in the world, especially in winter. (We don't get snow here, you see.)

Our first cruise was Alaska on the old Westerdam in 2001. We were the first "earlybird" cruise of the year. We just loved it so much, DW and I are going again, Statendam this time, in May.

There's just something about Alaska and cruising ... it's addictive.

Incidentally, some other passengers we met referred to us as "that nice young couple". Since we're in our 50s, you'll have an idea of the general age of the cruisers. :D

Bruce

We did Canada from Bayonne NJ on RCCL Voyager of the Seas last summer and the ship was what made the trip. Canada was nice, towns we visited were friendly, but I think Alaska is more scenic with far more excursions to choose from. And, I have family in New England as well so it was great to visit them for a few days before heading out on the cruise.

We are doing Alaska this summer, R/T from Seattle on the Sapphire Princess so I'll know more when I get back. I did look at the Amsterdam as a possibility but a bit more expensive than the Sapphire. We do live just outside of Seattle so may try one of the HAL ships on my next Alaska cruise.

I think you will enjoy Alaska tremendously. There were some families with children on our cruise in June '03 (on Maasdam), but not an overwhelming number of them. We would gladly go there again and, for us, that is saying something. We loved all the wildlife that we got to see, including pods of Orca and humpback whales, an unbelievable number of bald eagles, some bear, and other animals. The shore excursions were terrific. I have friends who've cruised there twice and know another family that has gone four times. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time. I haven't been to Seattle since I was a kid and I absolutely loved it. I think you'll have a great trip.

Scrumpy

Congratulations. I think you chose the best cruise. I've been on both with HAL within the last year and IMO Alaska has by far the better itinerary and prettiest scenery. I don't think you will be dissappointed.

Have a great trip!

Archived