Silly question

localady

Okay, I know this is a silly question.

If I place the "Do Not Disturb" sign in my door will room service still bring our breakfast at the specified time??

My Sis may want to sleep a bit but we still want our room service, albeit a bit later.

I have had prior times that without the sign, services have woken us earlier (mini bar service, steward wanting to clean room or drop laundry.)

Thanks in advance, you'd think I'd know this after all this time, but DH is

an early morning guy, no late breakfasts with him! ;) :D

Okay, I know this is a silly question.

If I place the "Do Not Disturb" sign in my door will room service still bring our breakfast at the specified time??

My Sis may want to sleep a bit but we still want our room service, albeit a bit later.

I have had prior times that without the sign, services have woken us earlier (mini bar service, steward wanting to clean room or drop laundry.)

Thanks in advance, you'd think I'd know this after all this time, but DH is

an early morning guy, no late breakfasts with him! ;) :D

My guess would be no! ;) "Do Not Disturb" means "Do Not Disturb", doesn't it? :confused:

My guess would be no! ;) "Do Not Disturb" means "Do Not Disturb", doesn't it? :confused:

Your guess would be wrong. A room service order takes precedence over the Do Not Disturb sign.

We always had the Do Not Disturb sign on our door and we almost always ordered breakfast for our cabin. Even though there was a Do Not Disturb sign, the server still knocked on the door, waited for me to open it and then he/she brought in our tray(s) to put on the table.

My husband was always still in bed, and usually asleep.

So, to the OP, although everyone else will pay attention to the sign and not knock on the door, your room service person WILL knock on the door, wait for it to be answered, bring in the tray and then quickly leave.

GN- Not sure because you requested breakfast for that time frame, that is why I asked the silly question..... ;)

So you want to request room service for a specific time, and then possibly not answer the door to have them return later with the same meal? :confused: Why not request a later time?

My guess is that they will call you immediately to explain they have your delivery but you have out your sign.

Your guess would be wrong. A room service order takes precedence over the Do Not Disturb sign.

We always had the Do Not Disturb sign on our door and we almost always ordered breakfast for our cabin. Even though there was a Do Not Disturb sign, the server still knocked on the door, waited for me to open it and then he/she brought in our tray(s) to put on the table.

So, to the OP, although everyone else will pay attention to the sign and not knock on the door, your room service person WILL knock on the door, wait for it to be answered, bring in the tray and then quickly leave.

I'm surprised at that. I've always thought that they wouldn't knock. I know they do it on debark, but that is different. This is good to know.

So you want to request room service for a specific time, and then possibly not answer the door to have them return later with the same meal? :confused: Why not request a later time?

My guess is that they will call you immediately to explain they have your delivery but you have out your sign.

No not at all....Fact is I have been know to let room service be my alarm clock.

When they knock, I answer.

But if you order for a later time frame (9:30 am) sometimes there will be other ships services (housekeeping, minibar) that will knock early than that time. My answer to that would to be the "do not disturb sign" out if I knew that room service would still deliver.

Thank you! I kind of thought they might because you ordered it. :D

Maybe you should add a qualifier to your sign...something like 'Do Not Disturb' (except for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or if we hit a large rock)....:p

Bite your tongue, not funny. :p

I have great faith in HAL's Captains! The ones I have met have always been very professional. :D

Why not just call in your Room Service Order when you wake?

Put out your Do Not Disturb card and call in the morning. You may have to wait up to 30 minutes but your sleep won't be interrupted.

Why not just call in your Room Service Order when you wake?

Put out your Do Not Disturb card and call in the morning. You may have to wait up to 30 minutes but your sleep won't be interrupted.

Sails- I don't believe that they even take orders from room service in the morning, it is all pre-ordered the night before retiring. At that time you specify a time preference.

Has anyone ever tried to order that morning?

Yes, they take orders by phone in the morning for just the reason you present.

People change their mind and though they thought the night before they didn't want room service breakfast, when they wake in the morning they want it. They might have forgotten to put the card out... whatever.

Maybe it's a sea day and their friends joined them on the veranda and they want them to breakfast with them. Any number of reasons.......

They definitely take orders by phone. We have ordered by phone when we woke more than once.

Yes, they take orders by phone in the morning for just the reason you present.

People change their mind and though the thought the night before they didn't want room service breakfast, when they wake in the morning they want it. They might have forgotten to put the card out... whatever.

They definitely take orders by phone.

I had no idea! :eek: I figured if you missed the card, it was to the Lido with you!! ;)

The things I learn asking silly questions! :D

:) Happy to help.

Enjoy your breakfast.

They may tell you an excessive wait but they'll get it to you faster than they say and within reasonable time frame.

It is much easier for them to plan in advance who wants what and when but they have to be flexible...... what the guest wants, the guest should get, within reason. :D

We have been on a couple of ships and while we were eating in the Neptune Lounge -- a couple of people came in to have the concierges place their breakfast service.

So telephone calls would definitely be accepted as well.

I know you aren't kidding but really.......

Rather than pick up the phone in their cabin and hit the 'Room Service' button they come to Neptune Lounge and have the concierge place their order for them? Leaves me breathless...... People actually are that helpless they can't call in their own breakfast order. :eek: I wonder who calls for their Chinese Take Out or Pizza when they are home. :D

I cannot imagine us doing that.

We don't consider the concierge to be there just to 'wait on us' for things of that sort. AND I know they smile sweetly and do as requested because that is what they do.

We have been on a couple of ships and while we were eating in the Neptune Lounge -- a couple of people came in to have the concierges place their breakfast service.

So telephone calls would definitely be accepted as well.

That is a bit over the top I think, I just hope they tipped them well for their help! I guess at least they came to the Pinnacle and didn't phone it in. :rolleyes:

I know you aren't kidding but really.......

Rather than pick up the phone in their cabin and hit the 'Room Service' button they come to Neptune Lounge and have the concierge place their order for them? Leaves me breathless...... People actually are that helpless they can't call in their own breakfast order. :eek: I wonder who calls for their Chinese Take Out or Pizza when they are home. :D

I cannot imagine us doing that.

We don't consider the concierge to be there just to 'wait on us' for things of that sort. AND I know they smile sweetly and do as requested because that is what they do.

That is a bit over the top I think, I just hope they tipped them well for their help! I guess at least they came to the Pinnacle and didn't phone it in. :rolleyes:

It takes all kinds to make up this world.

Four of us were sitting at the large table in front of the concierge - S class ship -- and we all just rolled our eyes.

:) Happy to help.

Enjoy your breakfast.

They may tell you an excessive wait but they'll get it to you faster than they say and within reasonable time frame.

It is much easier for them to plan in advance who wants what and when but they have to be flexible...... what the guest wants, the guest should get, within reason. :D

why not post the sign after the meal arrives?

On our recent Carnival cruise, we put out the sign in the evening because we were not feeling great and didn't want turn down service. We ordered room service for dinner and forgot about the sign. The person delivering it didn't knock when he saw the sign. Instead, he called us to ask if it was ok to knock.

I realize this is HAL and not CCL, but just wanted to share my own experience. It wouldn't surprise me if they did this on HAL as well.

why not post the sign after the meal arrives?

It isn't about after the meal.....

It's about not knowing what time they will wake and not wanting to be awakened because they requested room service on the door card the night before. They want to wake when they wake on their own and not to a knock on the door.

When they wake, they can call Room Service and order what they want.

Over the past 7 years of cruises on HAL I have commonly used room service breakfast as my alarm clock. And yes, I do put the "do not disturb" sign outside my cabin. The sign seems to apply to everyone except room service. Well, on the disembarkation morning, the mini-bar stewards and various people also usually knock on the door, but that is just the last morning.

It has been years since I have gotten a call from room service on HAL to let me know my food was on its way. And when I did get a call, it wasn't because of the "do not disturb" sign, but because I do not drink hot beverages (like coffee or tea) in the morning and the steward wanted to make sure I hadn't made a mistake by not ordering either. (In a few cases, the delivering steward didn't call, but upon arrival told me something like "I see you forgot to order coffee, so I brought you a pot anyway." -- Thus for a few years I always wrote "no coffee" on the bottom of my order to prevent confusion and wasted coffee.)

Even with the "do not disturb" sign out, the steward will knock, wait for you to open the door, and then briefly wait for you to say "come in" or if you are silent, will ask "may I come in," and upon being invited, will bring in the tray and place it on your coffee table.

Please note that I am not guessing here, but rather, am speaking from recent experience.

I'm not a bit surprised people will ask the Neptune Lounge to order. There is a segment of our population who haven't a clue as to manners and assume the hired help works just for them and will be at their beck and call. I betcha these same people will call a waiter "Boy" in a loud, obnoxious voice when they want another basket of rolls or a refill of water.

And to the OP, there is no such thing as a silly question.:)

I'm not a bit surprised people will ask the Neptune Lounge to order. There is a segment of our population who haven't a clue as to manners and assume the hired help works just for them and will be at their beck and call. I betcha these same people will call a waiter "Boy" in a loud, obnoxious voice when they want another basket of rolls or a refill of water.

And to the OP, there is no such thing as a silly question.:)

Totally agree - I would never have thought that room service would deliver if you had a do not disturb sign. Thanks for asking:)

Archived