Submarine just off Port Everglades this afternoon

DFD1

I just happened to turn the web cam on and saw the submarine plus heard the announcement that they would be conducting drills there this afternoon and for all ships etc. to stay away from the area. I assume they will have moved on before departure time for the ships... A strange sight, thats for sure... :eek:

Well, it didn't send a torpedo up the cut into Port Everglades so it must friendly....and it sure was having fun out there on a beautiful afternoon with fishing boats and yachts all around. Not too bad....

An expert who looked at the video had this to say:

From what I can tell from the video, she looks like a Virginia class attack sub. The slight curve forward of the tower at the base, was an addition to the Seawolfs and the Virginias after the Los Angeles class attack subs. Since the 3 remaining Seawolfs are based in Washington state from what I can tell, this is likely a Virginia class sub. I can't make out any numbering on the tower to confirm though. Interesting view! Thanks!

So, definitely friendly. :)

I wonder how often -- if ever -- officers on the bridge see a submarine during their careers.

Maybe I've watched too many WWII movies of periscopes sticking out of the water, but what a thrill (or possibly fright) it would be to see that some day for real.

We were sitting on the deck of a HAL ship waiting for disenbarcation and watched a sub come up above periscope depth and then dive. They repeated this several times. This was about eight years ago. It appeared to be about 1/4 of a mile off the inlet at Ft. Lauderdale. There is a large sub base north of Jacksonville. It was an interesting sight. I'm sure it was an American sub engaging in surfacing drills.

Archived