What is Your Reaction to This?

sail7seas

That was part of my point......

...I think they are improperly taking advantage of what they see as a marketing opportunity but linked to a tragic event. Thus my distaste.[/b]

My feeling is these are industry wide initiatives more focused on stopping passenger hemorrhaging than taking advantage of an opportunity presented by a fatal tragedy.

It seems to me for what you suggest to be true, X and other lines would be actively exploiting the dead and bereaved associated with the Concordia incident. You are not saying that, are you?

We can be removed from email lists if we want. Anyone who has cruised Celebrity becomes an automatic member of the Captains Club and will receive emails from time to time depending on their preferences.

On their website they afford the opportunity to check off what you would like to receive and what you would prefer not to.

At the end of every email Celebrity gives you the opportunity to be excluded from all commercial emails from them. I'm disabling the link "click here" because if you clicked on it you will opt me out:

"If you wish to change your preferences or opt to be excluded from future commercial emails from Celebrity Cruises, click here or visit: Celebrity.com

©2011 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships' registry: Malta and Ecuador.

We hope you enjoyed this email from:

Celebrity Cruises Inc.

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

www.celebritycruises.com"

Do you still think it is just about soothing fears and assuring cruisers cruising is safe????

Just now, seems Celebrity again fell into my e-mail box and today's message is:

"Subject: Discover the latest in your Celebrity Cruises January E-Newsletter"

Is this, too, just about making me feel safe and isn't about marketing 101? All they want is to sell me a cruise.

As I have said, it is very distasteful to me for them to be so agressively marketing to people who don't even sail with them........ at this time after the recent tragedy.

I never in any way contact them.

I never, not ever, go to their website.

I have sought no connection with them for many years and want none.

Why are they suddenly so interested in my e-mail box?

I didn't notice recieving a letter of this type from Princess, I am not offended however.

The line I am getting the most marketing from right now? HAL. Lots of emails about discounted cruises, not safety messages. I am not offended by this either, that is their job, to fill ships and keep people employed and make stock holders happy.

It is always a good idea to cancel advertising when you have just wrecked a ship, or aircraft. When I worked in broadcasting our standing contracts insisted all advertisements be pulled in the event of an aircraft tragedy, even if it was not their aircraft. And by the way if they weren't they would not pay if they ran. But that was a long time ago, and while I am sure seeing an Ad for Costa right now, would get on my nerves I would be less offended by a sister line. But still no ads should run on TV yet. That means, social media and email is going to be used a lot, and that may be why I am seeing so many sales pieces from sister lines right now.

Consider contacting Celebrity and tell them to take you off all communications because they disturb you and you are not interested in their product. Maybe Cruise Critic gives them a list of posters to that board, you have asked questions there recently, but if you sailed six times they may think you are a likely return customer. But I agree with others, the delete key is easier.

I am ready for a world where narcistic leaders are not leading anyone, or the captains on ships.

I just received this email from HAL:

"Take advantage of reduced airfare to Europe on select sailings from these Canadian cities**"

How different is that from your:

"Discover the latest in your Celebrity Cruises January E-Newsletter"

How should I interpret that?

We all get unsolicited email I think.

We can be removed from email lists if we want. Anyone who has cruised Celebrity becomes an automatic member of the Captains Club and will receive emails from time to time depending on their preferences.

On their website they afford the opportunity to check off what you would like to receive and what you would prefer not to.

At the end of every email Celebrity gives you the opportunity to be excluded from all commercial emails from them. I'm disabling the link "click here" because if you clicked on it you will opt me out:

"If you wish to change your preferences or opt to be excluded from future commercial emails from Celebrity Cruises, click here or visit: Celebrity.com

©2011 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships' registry: Malta and Ecuador.

We hope you enjoyed this email from:

Celebrity Cruises Inc.

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

www.celebritycruises.com"[/quote

I've hit an all time low ... I'm quoting myself. I have posted here how easy it is to get your name off. I delete literally 100's of emails each day because I have a special email addy set up just for ads like this, newsletters, etc. I rarely have time to read them all but I like to get them.

If you don't, opt out. This is not personal; it's called mass marketing advertising or something like that. The second email to S7S has nothing to do with the first; they come in all the time. That is, of course, a marketing email and not related to the first.

She is on Celebrity's email list because she's a Captain's Club member.

So opt out and it's over.

Sorry to disagree with you Heather but you are NOT automatically a Member Celebrity just like Royal Caribbean's Crown and Anchor requires you to Sign up your self after your first cruise with their Cruise Line. i know i did it myself last September. I also believe Azamara also requires that you sign up after your first cruise. All other cruise lines automatically make you part of the Past Passenger Group. I have seen several that are not signed up for either Celebrity or RCCL and when asked they either claim they did not want to bother to do that or they never got around to doing it. Unsure why the RCCL Corp requires that you have to make your own effort to sign up. I will say that I received several emails right after I got home from our Solstice cruise reminding me to sign up for Captain's Club and actually continued to get them for about 60 days after I had signed up right after we got home. I was only guessing the right hand did not know what the left was doing and the emails were set to automatically go out.

Given the random sampling of people that have received the emails from X, NCL, etc., I wonder if any of the Concordia passengers, crew, or loved ones of those who are deceased or missing received them. Now, those are the folks who have a valid reason to be upset.

I haven't read HAL's facebook page so I don't know what it says. But, I'm sure the lawyers, marketing dept., and many others at Carnival Corp. are spending countless hours deciding how to word their (and Costa's) response to this mess. Damage contol is never an easy task and given the enormous impact this has had, and will continue to have, I know they're weighing each syllable of every word. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

It's quoted on post #100 of this thread.

I'd also like to show you what HAL posted on Facebook two days before their post in regards to their safety.

Note the date. They posted this gracious sentiment the morning after.

Holland America Line

Our hearts go out to everyone affected by the grounding of the Costa Concordia and especially the loved ones of those who lost their lives. They will remain in our thoughts and prayers in the wake of this tragic event. We wish to recognize and thank the Italian Coast Guard and everyone in Italy who has provided such extraordinary assistance.

Share · January 14 at 8:55am

This is the second Facebook post again.

Holland America Line

We would like to take this opportunity to remind you that safety is our number one priority and we have an excellent record of safe operation throughout our company’s history. To ensure a safe environment for our guests and crew and maintain our excellent safety record, all officers and crew undergo comprehensive regular training which meets or exceeds all regulatory requirements. Every ship under...goes periodic inspections as mandated by the U.S. Coast Guard and other regulatory authorities and international law to verify safety processes and procedures. In addition, the classification society conducts annual inspections of the ship and our safety processes.

International maritime law requires that we conduct a mandatory lifeboat drill for all passengers conducted within 24 hours of departure. In many instances, we conduct the drill prior to sailing.

Share · January 18 at 5:20pm

I think HAL is a class act and has responded graciously.

By the way, for all of you who won't go near facebook, you don't have to participate in the social networking to benefit from it. Nearly every business and product has a facebook page and it's a great way to find deals, specials, new products and Savings!

Now we're on page 8 of this discussion about emails. I do hope people realise they can unsubscribe, or not even read an email, delete it, ignore it or block the sender. Whatever. It seems such a colossal waste of time to be discussing and arguing about it to such a degree. :(

Now we're on page 8 of this discussion about emails. I do hope people realise they can unsubscribe, or not even read an email, delete it, ignore it or block the sender.

Amen, period, done. I get emails every day from someone I don't want emails from. I delete it, unsubscribe and block them. Takes 2 seconds, then it's a non-issue. Couldn't be easier. ;)

Oh, and to answer the question...I have absolutely no reaction to getting an email from any cruiseline. It's marketing and, in this instance, public relations, pure and simple.....nothing more.

We received the same letter today as the OP refers to. We've never sailed with Celebrity, but when reading it, I realized they simply wanted us to know that they were a safe, trustworthy cruise line that was available if we desired to cruise with them. I wasn't offended by it any more than I would have been from any other promotional emails.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If people WANT to become offended or insulted with something, they will find an excuse. That is just their outlook on life.

It is almost like the guy who wins a brand new BMW and complains when it is delivered that the gas tank is only half full or the front tire is a little scuffed.

Hello localady,

I received an email from NCL this morning that was reassuring about the staff and safety on their ships. They touched on muster drills,which have always been on deck, and safety videos available while on board..I was comforted by Kevin Sheehan's words.

In reply to your comment about muster drills on HAL, I too am interested in seeing how our muster drill goes on the Zuiderdam in March. Last March on the Eurodam we noticed that our muster leader did not take any kind of roll call at all. We have cruised twice a year for the past 4 years and note that some of the lines do not require that you bring you life jacket with you and that many of the musters were held indoors and not near your muster station. As recall the Euroda was on deck.

Personally, I feel cruising will be safer than ever.:)

Ann

Note that where the muster drill is held IS YOUR MUSTER STATION. While HAL in the past usually had muster stations on the promenade deck, many cruise lines now designate muster stations inside in public areas. In the event that abandon ship was declared, you would be directed from your muster station to your lifeboat.

Now we're on page 8 of this discussion about emails. I do hope people realise they can unsubscribe, or not even read an email, delete it, ignore it or block the sender. Whatever. It seems such a colossal waste of time to be discussing and arguing about it to such a degree. :(

Seriously, this entire thread is mind boggling. I continue to receive emails from a Honda dealership and I sold that car in 2006. I continue to receive emails from a Mercedes Benz dealership and I sold that car in 2009. I could open them and unsubscribe, but I'm too lazy to do that. ;) A single keystroke makes them go away...no fuss no muss.

I've received emails from Seabourn recently but didn't open them (used the single keystroke method)...good lord, do you think they were touting their commitment to safety as well? :eek:

What I'm wondering is why in God's name would you read an entire blast email that you found upsetting?

Sorry to disagree with you Heather but you are NOT automatically a Member Celebrity just like Royal Caribbean's Crown and Anchor requires you to Sign up your self after your first cruise with their Cruise Line. i know i did it myself last September. I also believe Azamara also requires that you sign up after your first cruise. All other cruise lines automatically make you part of the Past Passenger Group. I have seen several that are not signed up for either Celebrity or RCCL and when asked they either claim they did not want to bother to do that or they never got around to doing it. Unsure why the RCCL Corp requires that you have to make your own effort to sign up. I will say that I received several emails right after I got home from our Solstice cruise reminding me to sign up for Captain's Club and actually continued to get them for about 60 days after I had signed up right after we got home. I was only guessing the right hand did not know what the left was doing and the emails were set to automatically go out.

No problem disagreeing ... it's my mistake ... I thought it was automatic. I've never sail RCI but have the C&A cards. I must have applied for them and forgotten. In any case, if at any time a person gave their email address, it would still be on record.

And it's very easy to opt out entirely and never be bothered by an email from Celebrity again.

Seriously, this entire thread is mind boggling. I continue to receive emails from a Honda dealership and I sold that car in 2006. I continue to receive emails from a Mercedes Benz dealership and I sold that car in 2009. I could open them and unsubscribe, but I'm too lazy to do that. ;) A single keystroke makes them go away...no fuss no muss.

I've received emails from Seabourn recently but didn't open them (used the single keystroke method)...good lord, do you think they were touting their commitment to safety as well? :eek:

What I'm wondering is why in God's name would you read an entire blast email that you found upsetting?

Me, too!!! I am constantly getting not only emails from Honda about a car long since returned (it was a lease), but snail mail as well! And we've had 2 Hondas since then! I don't feel targeted by Honda knowing it's just a paperwork mixup. As you say ... delete delete. Easy as pie:).

I've gotten mailed brochures this week from Princess and Celebrity, but no emails. The brochures were deals on cruises, not safety related. We've never sailed Princess, but sailed on Celebrity several years ago. We get a lot of mail from both of them, so I must be on their lists.

I think we'll all be seeing a lot of offers and contacts from many cruiselines in the next weeks and months. I'm sure they just take their lists and send out hundreds or thousands at a time, same with emails.

Archived