Mama Lou

Kay240

89 years old and still able to do what she does:)

Thank you so much for finding the article!!! She has been, and probably will forever be, an inspiration to many of us:)

I've told her many times that when hubby passes on I am going to be a Mama Lou II:) She laughs and calls me silly, but says to live like as if you meant to live forever, and be happy with your choice(s):)

Joanie

Also in the blog is this information regarding MaMa Lou's "Business Card" -

Marcella Perry

November 9th, 2010 at 7:57 pm

We met MaMa Lou for the first time about 7 years ago on the Zaandam. Since then we have become best friends and sail together when we possibly can. We went home with her after one of our cruises and spent 4 days with her. I make her business cards that she hands out to people she meets on the ship. (The ones with her in her two piece bathing suit taken in 1942). My husband carries that picture with him at all times and shows everyone “the OTHER woman he travels with!!

By the way her home is in The Villages Fl. not Tampa.

Also in the blog is this information regarding MaMa Lou's "Business Card" -

Marcella Perry

November 9th, 2010 at 7:57 pm

We met MaMa Lou for the first time about 7 years ago on the Zaandam. Since then we have become best friends and sail together when we possibly can. We went home with her after one of our cruises and spent 4 days with her. I make her business cards that she hands out to people she meets on the ship. (The ones with her in her two piece bathing suit taken in 1942). My husband carries that picture with him at all times and shows everyone “the OTHER woman he travels with!!

By the way her home is in The Villages Fl. not Tampa.

She sold her home in 2008 -- she had to leave the second part of our cruise to sign the papers.

Daring photo because if I remember my history right, back in 1913 the women wore LONG swimsuits like the ones in the photo below:eek:

And Ruth I saw the date. Thank you for pointing it out though.

Bathing-Suit-Women-in-bathing-costumes-in-Pacific-Ocean-at-Moclips-August-23-1913-Credit-Univ-of-Washington-Digital-Collection1.jpg

Joanie

The "daring" photo of Mama Lou was not taken in 1913. 1953?

It was the conversation about that photo of Mama Lou having been taken in 1913 that we knew could not be accurate. :D

For it to be taken in 1942 is certainly possible. :)

Got a message from Mama Lou's Grandson Terry, just before I turned my computer off last night.

From Terry: QUOTE: "For those concerned about Momma Lou, my grandmother, she is ok. Has been sick but now home and ok. :)" UNQUOTE

Joanie

Thanks for posting this update.

Hope she stays well.

She is a wonderful little lady.

It was the conversation about that photo of Mama Lou having been taken in 1913 that we knew could not be accurate. :D

For it to be taken in 1942 is certainly possible. :)

I've been going through my late mother's stuff that was shipped to me recently that included several hundred old photographs. She was 89 when she passed just before Christmas so give to take a few years she was very close to Mama Lou's age. Some photos of her taken in the late 30's and early 40's look a lot like the potential Mama Lou photo. The clothing is almost identical and certainly the car is not an early 1900's model, certainly not one from 1913 but one closer to WWII. Whether it's actually Mama Lou or not can only be answered by her or her family but it's about right for somebody her age.

I actually told my mother about Mama Lou several years ago and tried to get her on a cruise. It would have had to been an Alaskan itinerary as she was living in the Seattle-Tacoma area but she'd have no part of it. Even though she knew we cruised she said cruises are for old people, she was about 84 at the time. :D Truth is she didn't like leaving firm ground and she lumped being on a ship with being on an airplane which she totally hated. She was what might be called a "white knuckle passenger" on a plane....a firm death-grip on the armrest from take off to landing. Our only "cruise" together had been trans-Atlantics traveling to and from England in the early 50's and I think she got seasick on both trips.

Archived