Freaking out!!

drider

Because of the time frame, you may have to bite a very expensive bullet for this "free" cruise. Is everyone who won this cruise in the same situation as far as flights? I would get this settled TODAY! Start with the person who is awarding the cruise and advise of the problem. That person should sort it out with the TA. Unless there is additional info, such as the TA warned that timing could be a problem, and "gifter of cruise" ignored that advice, TA should be held responsible. We do have errors and omission insurance that should cover this error in booking. Bottom line, it may cost you to make sure you get to go, but don't immediately offer that. Insist that whoever made the error, take financial responsibility. I would continue working on that even upon your return. I never book a flight for cruise passengers that arrive after 12:00. If that is not possible, such as in your case as you apparently have the earliest flight, I have them go a day ahead or book their own air. I will not book them on a flight that has zero or limited chance of getting them to the ship on time. Cruise line won't sell you a transfer in connection with such a late flight.

Just my two cents.

Of course we did not get cruise insurance because we did not book the cruise and we barely got the info Jan 3rd about the cruise and yesterday about the flights.

Just so you know, insurance isn't just for the cost of the cruise. If something as common as acute appendicitis happened, that would be the kind of thing that they wouldn't be able to treat in the ship's medical center and you'd have to be either flown or dropped off at the closest hospital. Medical evacuation can run in the 10's of thousands of $$, and most all US regular health insurance policies would not cover that. Nor the foreign hospital stay.

And I know of people who have had suitcases knocked smooth into the water by the forklifts attempting to load luggage onto the ship at embarkation. Trip insurance would cover that too. :) Just FYI!

-gina-

Have been a victem of the free cruise scam, I guess it is a scam, at least morally, I get some of the offers about once a week, after looking in to some of them, I could easily book the same cruise, for just about the same expenses and no BS.

I feel for the OP, I was once a novice traveler.

OP, do as others have said, try to change the flight,(which you are) with picking up luggage, will take at least a half hour, plus walking to transportation and with arrival at 2:15 if you are lucky, that makes it 2:45 or more, plus the cab ride which will take ??????? I know Tampa traffic.

Heck I would call RC and talk to them, just forgot you cannot do that with a TA I think Choice air is available almost up to the days before the trip.

Quite a situation you have here. If as you say this is a free cruise gifted by your husbands employer, your travel is already paid for by the gifter. The TA booked a flight that will make it next to impossible to make the ship in time. Just make sure you have all the cruise documents in hand for boarding the ship, don't take the flight the TA booked (you didn't pay out of pocket for the flights anyhow) and book your own flight for the day before the cruise and stay at a Tampa hotel. Yes this will cost you out of pocket but you will make the cruise for sure while the others will probably watch the ship leave from the pier. After it is all said and done, when you get back have your husband take the issue up with the TA and the "boss".

NEVER and I repeat NEVER book your flight for the day of your cruise. Too much can go wrong. Why put yourself through so much stress???? Come in at least one day early. Good luck, you are going to need it. Consider this a learning experience.

Not to be rude, but come on, not everybody can do that :rolleyes:.

When we go on Saturday-Saturday cruises, I don't have the option of leaving a day early-- I work, my wife works! That's why so many people do fly in the day of.

Not to be rude, but come on, not everybody can do that :rolleyes:.

When we go on Saturday-Saturday cruises, I don't have the option of leaving a day early-- I work, my wife works! That's why so many people do fly in the day of.

Out of curiosity, when you have to do that, do you book flights through Royal Caribbean? Or just book early flights and hope and pray that everything goes ok? :)

If I did fly to Ports (luckily I can drive to the FL ports) , I think I would feel very comfortable flying in the day of the cruise as long as I booked through Royal Caribbean. Any other way I would likely be pretty stressed!

Wow, I agree with what everyone else is saying. If you can't change the tickets to fly in a day early and pay the change fees I would just book my own flight the day prior or even the day of with a different airline. Paying for airline tickets with free cruise is still cheaper than what you would pay for both the cruise and airfare.

Dare I ask what the return flight time is? I hope it is after 12 Noon or later. You don't need any stress after an awesome cruise.

Now I have checked ALL airlines out of El Paso and the earliest arrival time in Tampa is 1:53 PM looks like we need to fly in the night before and get a room.... not a great way to spend the money to change flight and have to pay for a room on top of that

This appears to be the only solution

If a one way ticket is cheaper, that is really all you need to get to Tampa. You can then use the return portion of the AA ticket.....assuming they haven't booked the return flight for a time before you get off the cruise. :rolleyes:

Do not do this...If you do not use the first leg of your airline ticket - your return will automatically be cancelled.

I can't image what that TA was thinking - gives some of us a bad name- GRRR.:mad:

Wow, I agree with what everyone else is saying. If you can't change the tickets to fly in a day early and pay the change fees I would just book my own flight the day prior or even the day of with a different airline. Paying for airline tickets with free cruise is still cheaper than what you would pay for both the cruise and airfare.

Dare I ask what the return flight time is? I hope it is after 12 Noon or later. You don't need any stress after an awesome cruise.

The TA has been "busy" today so I finally called her manager after a few calls went unreturned by my office manager... I was polite but I explained that we had already invested 1700 into this cruise with arranging for a nanny for my grandson as well as other expenses and of course that did not include what DH's boss paid for the cruise and flight. I did get some answers that they were working on an earlier flight on Feb 3rd and I researched room availability myself for our overnight. I did also contact AA and they gave me a decent quote on the change fees etc to be about 370 per person so I of course passed that info on to the TA Manager. I expect a call back this evening to let us know the change would be made and who was footing what costs. I told her that Dh and I are only willing to pay the room for the overnight stay.... I hope she doesn't call my bluff.

Our return flight is scheduled for 12:05 leaving Tampa so I think we should be ok there. I did mention that it was an incompetent move on their part to have booked a flight that arrives a mere 45 min before last boarding time. I know I was being a sour puss but to my credit I was assertive and not aggressive about this issue.

Congratulations, you are right on the mark. There are flights available to the TA should be fine with making those changes for you. I really hope this will be worked out for you so you can put it past you enjoy your cruise on the beautiful and elegant Jewel of the Seas!! It is a gorgeous ship and such fun! We sail on April 14th and have sailed her several times before. Keep us posted on the outcome as we are all rooting for you!!!:D

Goodness. I think you are being quite reasonable with them.... the prize should have included the overnight hotel stay too IMO. Looks like they were trying to cut corners and do this on the 'cheap'. I wonder how they would have supported you had you missed embarkation and required onward assistance. Really glad you came here to voice your concerns.

The OP didnt. Some incompetent "travel agent" did. :confused:

I am also confused by the number of people that suggest they just buy new airline tickets and go a day ahead of time. If this was a 'gift' or a bonus from what I gather. Maybe they don't have an extra grand to spend on tickets. Perhaps some other ideas other than purchasing tickets that would cost them a ton of money should be given to her.

Best of luck to the OP. It is a shame that something that should be so joyful has turned into a nightmare for you. I sincerely hope it all works out and that your travel agent....who in my opinion should fix this mess.....makes it right with you.

Ok Here is the scoop. DH won the cruise through his job with 6 other people. THEY arranged the cabins and flight. We will be flying into Tampa on AA. We did not get the choice. The trip with flights was booked through a TA in the hometown of the owner of the company that is gifting this cruise.

You will miss this cruise!

Get in contact with TA ASAP.

Out of curiosity, when you have to do that, do you book flights through Royal Caribbean? Or just book early flights and hope and pray that everything goes ok? :)

If I did fly to Ports (luckily I can drive to the FL ports) , I think I would feel very comfortable flying in the day of the cruise as long as I booked through Royal Caribbean. Any other way I would likely be pretty stressed!

No we book them ourselves or use Skymiles, but always buy Cruise Care if we book our own flights.

We also pick flights that arrive before 9:30 AM. Even with a 5 hour delay, we would be ok. And out of Birmingham or Atlanta, that's uncommon.

We always fly ahead if possible, but for some trips and some people, that's just not a possibility!

I am also confused by the number of people that suggest they just buy new airline tickets and go a day ahead of time. If this was a 'gift' or a bonus from what I gather. Maybe they don't have an extra grand to spend on tickets. Perhaps some other ideas other than purchasing tickets that would cost them a ton of money should be given to her.

It's not like there is a lot of time left for other plans to be made by the OP. You say your confused by our suggestions. Do you have a better one to add?

I realize the OP may not have the $ to put towards new tickets. But it was just a suggestion by many in this thread. What the OP has for airfare isn't going to work and the OP will miss their cruise. So the only other thing is to change their plane tickets. Who pays for it has yet to be decided. Good Luck OP ;)

It's not like there is a lot of time left for other plans to be made by the OP. You say your confused by our suggestions. Do you have a better one to add?

I realize the OP may not have the $ to put towards new tickets. But it was just a suggestion by many in this thread. What the OP has for airfare isn't going to work and the OP will miss their cruise. So the only other thing is to change their plane tickets. Who pays for it has yet to be decided. Good Luck OP ;)

Sorta off topic here but,,,I am really interested in what you have to say, however I cannot read your posts.

Could you please make your fonts larger. :)

I hate to miss anything:D

I would also call RC and explain your situation,they might be able to help might not.There was just a show on a couple of weeks ago,forget the channel but it was about what it takes to get a ship turned around in just a few hours and what the crew has to go through.The ship just happened to be a RC ship and I was only getting bits and pieces cause I was involved in something else so I don't have all the details.There was a small segment about passengers showing up with the wrong documentation,or none at all.I forget the person's title that was in charge of making sure everyone was on board but she was scrambling like crazy to get quite a few people on-board after the required check-in time.She was amazing to watch and she did manage to get them on board,even though it was well past the time required.Not saying they will be able to do this for you but its worth a shot if nothing else.Good Luck,just got off the Jewel out of Tampa and it was a GREAT cruise.

Perhaps you didn't read this thread from the beginning. The first 13 or 14 suggestions were to change her flight. She booked through a travel agent. I would think that the agent booking the trip should know you can't cut it that close.

The "confused" remark was from a quote that I copied and replied to that had a "confused" :confused: face and I replied that I was confused as to the number of people suggesting they change tickets. I understood that she did not book this trip, her husband won it and someone handled all the travel arrangements. Why should they have to fork out last minute airfare when they had no say in the arrangements. Just my opinion. Just trying to help as I have followed this thread all day and have been hoping for a good outcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pam vessels

NEVER and I repeat NEVER book your flight for the day of your cruise. .

The OP didnt. Some incompetent "travel agent" did. :confused:

This was the quote I was referring to. And the reason for the :confused:

Archived