Will I be ok without it?

CanadaDeb

DH and I are sailing the Caribbean Princess and I have read loads of people bring extension cords and power bars with them...I am wondering if I will be ok without if all I want to plug in is a hair dryer and a flat iron near the desk...any advice will be greatly appreciated :) Thanks

Curling iron ok but no flat iron would be allowed because of fire hazard. You wil have to iron in the laundry room on your deck. No need for an extension cord then

The flat iron is a hair care item ... not a clothing iron.

Will you be charging a camera, phone, laptop, ipad or anything else? If so, it is convenient to have a power strip. Also, I find that depending on the length of the cord of your blow dryer or curling iron it is nice to have the power strip as it gives you more extension since the plug is recessed to the very back of the vanity area.

We bring a powers strip because we have two phones, an iPad, a laptop, a flat iron, and both still and video cameras. (not to mention battery chargers) If you just need it for a flat iron I wouldn't worry about it. Yes Princess supplies a dryer. It isn't very good but I find it adequate for even a two week cruise.

Seeing that there are 3 outlet locations to recharge things (one being a double) I doubt if a power strip is actually necessary.

My question is, why is a flat iron (I guess it's a what I refer to as a curling iron) any less dangerous that a regular iron? It seems that if left plugged in on a table either could start a fire.

I've never needed a power strip. Even though the outlet in the bathroom says it's for razors only, we've used it to recharge our electric toothbrushes and it's worked fine. I'm assuming they don't draw any more power than a razor does and that warning is to keep people from plugging in hair dryers and curling irons.

We used to bring a power strip or at least one of those 3 plug things, but have discovered we really don't need it.

I use the hair dryer provided and plug in my curling iron at the desk. We also have a laptop, a Kindle and a camera battery charger, but, really, have never had all of those plugged in at once.

My Kindle easily lasts for a two-week cruise without recharging, though I might recharge it before the trip home. I guess it depends on just how many things you are bringing along. With what you mentioned, I don't think it's necessary.

My question is, why is a flat iron (I guess it's a what I refer to as a curling iron) any less dangerous that a regular iron? It seems that if left plugged in on a table either could start a fire.
It doesn't get any hotter than a curling iron and draws the same power. A flat iron is really the same thing, just a different configuration.

It doesn't get any hotter than a curling iron and draws the same power. A flat iron is really the same thing, just a different configuration.

In that case they sound just a dangerous to starting a fire as a regular iron and should also be banned from bringing aboard. They appear to be in the same category as those coils to boil water.

In that case they sound just a dangerous to starting a fire as a regular iron and should also be banned from bringing aboard. They appear to be in the same category as those coils to boil water.
Err... No, they don't. :) The point of a flat iron is to straighten your hair, not steam, boil or fry it.

I would have some bad looking hair if I couldn't bring my flat iron! :eek: I unplug it after every use.

Umm no, not even close. As Pam points out they are not designed to "cook" your locks, just straighten or curl them depending on what type of appliance you are using. Quite frankly if the cruise lines ever decided to ban them they could wave goodbye to a good percentage of their female passengers. I have never heard a single anecdote of a curling or flat iron starting a fire on land or sea so I think we are safe to keep styling our hair onboard! ;)

Umm no, not even close. As Pam points out they are not designed to "cook" your locks, just straighten or curl them depending on what type of appliance you are using. Quite frankly if the cruise lines ever decided to ban them they could wave goodbye to a good percentage of their female passengers. I have never heard a single anecdote of a curling or flat iron starting a fire on land or sea so I think we are safe to keep styling our hair onboard! ;)

Yea, I see what you mean. They don't really get all that hot. I can almost hold onto the heated end of my wife's curler even after it's hot.

Archived