Getting on and off the boat in port?

nobody137

My wife and I will be on our first cruise this April to Key West and Nassau. While we're in port, can we get on and off the boat at will? When we're in Nassau, we want to do a shortish snorkeling excursion when we first come into port, and then come in and change and go back out. Is this possible?

No customs. In Nassau, when you come back through the welcome center to the pier, they will want to see your ship card and your picture ID. When you reenter the ship, you will have to go through the security scanner. EM

You can get off and on the ship as often as you like. At most ports you just show your ship card and sometimes they ask for other ID (drivers licence or?), but usually all you need is just your ship card. At a few ports when they ask for other ID and we didn't bring any, they just role their eyes and mumble (probably saying "dumb tourists").

You don't even have to get off the ship until disembarkation day.

If you do get off the ship in a port, make sure you 1) check your watch against the ship's time as that's the time you need to keep track of, 2) bring a copy of that day's newsletter as it will have important info listed (such as the time to be back on board, which BTW is not the same as sailaway time), 3) bring your ship's card and proper photo ID (you'll insert your card quickly in and out of a machine by the gangway -- when you hear the "bing", you can step off the ship, and 4) make sure you're back on board by the proper time.

Other things to know include: do not remove food off the ship unless you're told by a crew member (and there's no prohibition listed in the newsletter) that it's okay. Often you can take with you pre-packaged, sealed foods such as power bars. Otherwise, eat in the port or go back onboard for lunch.

Yes of course you can. You can get on and off as much you want. Just make sure you have your passport,ID,and room key on you. Have a great time.:D

You do not need to carry your passportin Key West or Nassau. Better to leave it in the cabin safe and carry a color copy.

nobody137 - While in Key West you will still be in the U.S. so it is not necessary to bring your passport with you. Just make sure that you are back in plenty of time because, yes, some ships do not wait for you if you are late.

A case in point is a video of a young couple being left behind in Nassau. Turn up your volume because you can pick up on the conversation of the couple filiming this video.

Also unless your snorkeling excursion requires it don't feel compelled be among the crowds of people rushing to get off the ship as soon as you dock. If you wait just a little while longer you can stroll off at your leisure. My wife and I usually enjoy breakfast in the mdr and then go back to the cabin to grab our stuff and then leave. I don't like crowds so this works great for me. We also don pick excursions until we get to port do letting the crowds disburse also makes for less hectic sales pitches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get off and on the ship as often as you like. At most ports you just show your ship card and sometimes they ask for other ID (drivers licence or?), but usually all you need is just your ship card. At a few ports when they ask for other ID and we didn't bring any, they just role their eyes and mumble (probably saying "dumb tourists").

Not 100% true......every port we have ever been to required your ship card AND a photo ID.....and they were checking them to get back on the ship!!!!

Since this is the requirements of the "ports" not the ship, no way would I risk getting off without both.

Just my opinion......

In general, how soon before the ship leaves do you have to be back on board? Also, which time is listed on the cruise itinerary? I recently booked my first cruise, and it says we will be in Nassau 8am - 6pm. Does that mean, get on the boat at 6pm and leave later, or be on the boat some time earlier and leave at 6pm? Thanks!

They'll post the all-aboard time on the ship. From what I've seen, it can run from 30 minutes to an hour before the listed departure time. In Ketchikan, we had a listed departure time of 1 PM, but actully left a little before that.

In general, how soon before the ship leaves do you have to be back on board? Also, which time is listed on the cruise itinerary? I recently booked my first cruise, and it says we will be in Nassau 8am - 6pm. Does that mean, get on the boat at 6pm and leave later, or be on the boat some time earlier and leave at 6pm? Thanks!

6pm is the anticipated departure time, so if you aren't onboard by then you will be a pier runner. Don't be a pier runner- the back aboard time will be posted at a sign by the gangway, will be announced over the loudspeaker and will be published in the ship's paper. Sometimes departure times change so keep up to date.

On board by 5:30 (30 minutes before departure). Think of it like an airplane. You can't board an airplane at the posted departure time, because that's too late. Same for a ship. Oh, and you have to be checked in 90 minutes before departure time the first day.

Archived