At ports of call, do I need passport?

gpa385

I'm a newbie going on my first cruise ever in a month. This board has already answered a bunch of questions, got one more (prob not my last):

When we reach a port of call (Bahamas, specifically), do we need to bring our passports to get on and off the ship? Can a copy of the passport suffice? I just don't want to walk around beaches/shops with passports - it's one thing to lose a wallet/cash, something else to lose a passport.

Traveling with a 12 and 10 year old, so they don't have a driver's license, obv.

Thanks!

You will not need your passports to get on/off the ship at ports. The ship will create a photo ID card for each passenger and will swipe this card at the gangway to keep track of who is on board at any particular time.

There is no legal requirement for you to carry passports in the Bahamas. If you believe the safest place for your passport is in the safe in your room, you have plenty of company. :)

Edited by Shorex

I'm a newbie going on my first cruise ever in a month. This board has already answered a bunch of questions, got one more (prob not my last):

When we reach a port of call (Bahamas, specifically), do we need to bring our passports to get on and off the ship? Can a copy of the passport suffice? I just don't want to walk around beaches/shops with passports - it's one thing to lose a wallet/cash, something else to lose a passport.

Traveling with a 12 and 10 year old, so they don't have a driver's license, obv.

Thanks!

We had to bring /show photo id to the security guy at the gate along with our sign and sail card..before we were allowed to get on the pier to go back to the ship..if I am remembering correctly!

Edited by vacation_junkie

We had to bring /show photo id to the security guy at the gate along with our sign and sail card..before we were allowed to get on the pier to go back to the ship..if I am remembering correctly!

I don't remember having to show anything other than our cruise line card to re-board in Bermuda. But -- the cruise line is very diligent in publicizing to all guests exactly what ID must be taken ashore.

OP, every cruise line has a daily publication/newsletter that will be delivered to your stateroom in the evening describing the events of the next day. Do read it carefully, and follow those guidelines.

No, you do not need to take your passport ashore in the Bahamas. There are a few countries around the world that require you to take the passport off the ship, but none are in the caribbean. Leave the passport in the safe in your cabin

We were asked to show passports going back to the ship from Barbados. I was the only one in our group who didn't have it with me. I could have sent my DH back to the ship easy enough, but the guard rolled his eyes and let me go. I agree, follow the ships instructions when going ashore. Your crew will give the best advise of all! And, by all means, have a great cruise!

Just returned from transatlantic cruise calling at Bermuda and Nassau--and both ports were very strict about checking photo IDs along with cruise cards as soon as you reenter the terminal. In Bermuda we were the only ship in the Royal Dockyard but the lines upon returning moved at a crawl as everyone who ignored the ship's instruction to carry at least a photocopy of a government issued picture ID with them had their person and their packages thoroughly searched TSA-style. The ship will advise you at which ports a photocopy is acceptable--Nassau did require the actual DL or passport (as does St. Thomas as I recall from earlier stops there).

NONE of the Caribbean ports require passports from cruise passengers! Some ports may require a photo ID to get back on the ship...your driver's license will work just fine....and it's the same size as your ship's key! And, waterproof!

Do you need a passport to get back into the states? Sorry I know it's prolly stupid but I am still so confussed on the whole passport thing, some places say you do now for bahamas and re-entry into the united state even on a closed loop...I thought this was wrong but not sure.....all one would need is an id, bc and s&s card correct for all bahamian ports and port canaveral?

The ship's information will usually let you know when you have to carry your passport. Always take either a copy ashore, or the passport number and place of issue. Consulates across the world are used to dealing with this problem, and it will help things along if you have this information.

Jo.

My friend who left her passports in a taxi cab would definitely agree with leaving passports on the ship. Actually, she did this on an island vacation, so it wasn't the tragedy that it would've been for a cruiser. But she did spend the entire next day tracking down the cab. Fortunately, she did get her passports back, but she lost a whole day of her vacation, and it was stressful.

She's not an idiot or anything; she and her husband are college graduates, seasoned travelers, and old enough to know to be careful with important documents. She just made a simple mistake: something that each and every one of us could've done. She was in the taxi, and her passports were in a little nylon travel bag -- something similar to what each of us have to keep our travel documents together. She was going through her purchases and reorganizing them as she rode back to her hotel . . . and in retrospect she remembered purposefully putting her thin document bag between the door and the seat for "safekeeping". When she put all her purchases back into the bags, she just plain forgot that she'd separated her passport bag from everything else. Her husband was watching her, but he didn't realize the mistake either.

When she realized late that night that her bag was gone, she wasn't sure whether she'd left it in the taxi or whether it'd fallen out on the ground as she exited the taxi. She wasn't sure of the taxi company name, the driver's name, the taxi number; she only remembered clearly the color of the taxi and the houndstooth pattern of the upholstery. That's not much to go upon.

They DID manage to find the right taxi, and the dispatcher asked him to search his back seat -- he said he found nothing. They asked to search the taxi themselves, which meant they had to wait for him to return to their hotel, and they had to pay him for his time . . . but since they gave the back seat more than a passing glance, they DID find their passports wedged waaaay under the seat. They were very lucky considering how many other passengers rode in that taxi in the 24 hours that passed before they retrieved their passports.

As I said, if they'd been cruisers instead of island visitors, this would have been a real tragedy. In all fairness, if they'd been cruisers, they probably would've realized the mistake when they re-boarded the ship (rather than late at night), and they would've faced an impossible choice: Board knowing that you're going to be in trouble when you reach US Customs or return to search for the taxi, knowing that it'd almost certainly mean you'd miss the ship. Talk about a no-win situation.

People say, "Bring your passport in case you're left ashore." In reality, your chances of being left ashore are practically nil -- especially if you don't get sloppy drunk or lose track of time while you're shopping. Your chances of either making a simple mistake like my friend did, or your chances of being pickpocketed are much greater.

What happens if you miss the ship, and you don't have your passport? Isn't that going to make it a tad difficult to travel?

You are absolutely correct, however most instances the tourist is more apt to become separated from the passport because of theft, carelessness etc. Much less of a chance of missing a ship. Of course if you insist on being the chug-a-lug champ at Sr. Frog's...... well:D??? The best thing is to do what you are comfortable with.

• 4 weeks later...

Just came from NCL Gem, and the only thing NCL needed at Nassau (the only foreign port outside of their private island) was a PICTURE ID for anyone 18 yo and older + the room key for each person, regardless of age. Meaning, Drivers License. Meaning, leave Passports in the room.

Unless you really think you might get left behind. We were 10 minutes down the beach at Sheraton Cable. Would have had to have gone through something particularly tragic to miss the ship.

• 2 years later...
What happens if you miss the ship, and you don't have your passport? Isn't that going to make it a tad difficult to travel?

They will know if you are on board or not when it's time to leave. If they know you will miss the ship, security will search your safe (and only your safe) for your passport. If they find it, they will turn it over to the cruise line's agent at the port for you to retrieve it when you finally arrive. You don't have to worry about being without your passport if you miss the ship.

All of this has been discussed and explained in dozens if not hundreds of threads over the years. That the cruise lines do this is no longer debatable.

The only port I recall ever needing a passport was St Petersburg Russia.

This is our experience as well, and we have visited over thirty countries on cruises. We kept our passports in our safe while we visited every country with the single exception of Russia.

Edited by boogs

We don't take our passports ashore. For the very few ports where you are required to bring the passport, the ship will make sure you know that in advance. We haven't had to so far in Latin America.

Every daily newsletter will tell passengers what they need to take ashore; often just your cruise card, often cruise card and a picture ID. Kids don't need a picture ID.

Sometimes they check the driver's license when getting back on the ship, sometimes not.

The chance of missing the ship is much slimmer than the chance of losing your passport or having it stolen.

This thread was inactive for 2 1/2 years until someone reopened it today.

It's probably not very productive or useful to debate questions that were asked in 2012...those posters had their questions answered long ago.

In an attempt to answer the question that was asked today: You haven't specified your ports of call and your country of citizenship (lots of countries in Latin America) so it would be impossible to answer your question with 100% certainty...but it's more likely than not that you would be OK with your cruise card and drivers license. If there's an exception applicable to citizens of your country your cruise line will tell you.

Edited by njhorseman

This thread was inactive for 2 1/2 years until someone reopened it today.

It's probably not very productive or useful to debate questions that were asked in 2012...those posters had their questions answered long ago.

Darn! Got me again. :eek:

I really need to start checking the dates on these threads. I just read 'em and respond if I have something especially wise to pass on. :D

What would be nice if any thread that is over a certain age be automatically displayed in a different color or font, or with a colored background, so that we would instantly know it's an older thread.

Edited by boogs