What's in the "no sugar added" desserts?

RMLincoln

I'm guessing that HAL uses artificial sweeteners in their "no sugar added desserts"? If so, does anyone know what type? I'm sensitive to some of these so I'd like to know up front. Sugar isn't good for me either but it's a lesser-evil choice than the chemicals. Thanks, m--

I have no idea what they're sweetened with but they're very good...and since sugar keeps me awake at night (as well as caffeine!), I opt for the "no sugar added" desserts whenever possible.

Other than that, I avoid artificial sweeteners.

I wondered too and I think I got the answer they were artificially sweetened, but I do think there was a bit of language miscommunication too. Best to check with the Dining Room manager to make sure.

Agree, I don't like artificial sweeteners either and it is a shame their lo-cal "spa" menu does not have some natural lo-cal desserts, though one can always have a fruit plate and nibble at it. Or their much improved cheese menu for some small bites too. But one small scoop of real vanilla ice cream (145 cal) with a hot espresso (0 cal) poured over it (an affagato) won't break the calorie bank and is really delicious. Plus you get a little calcium in the bargain.

I'm guessing that HAL uses artificial sweeteners in their "no sugar added desserts"? If so, does anyone know what type? I'm sensitive to some of these so I'd like to know up front. Sugar isn't good for me either but it's a lesser-evil choice than the chemicals. Thanks, m--

I just checked my HAL Recipes and found a ALMOND FRUIT CAKE SUGAR FREE

First Ingredient listed is: 1 KG ALMOND PASTE SUGAR FREE #642317

In the Cake mixture itself it says:

Sweet dough sugar free # 642312

Raspberry sugar free # 642321

So I did a google search for SUGAR FREE #642317 and came up with this:

Reb A 40% Stevia http://www.21food.com/products/reb-a-40-stevia-642317.html

So it sounds as if HAL uses Stevia.

WikiPedia says this about Stevia:

Stevia is a genus of about 240 species of herbs and shrubs in the sunflower family (Asteraceae), native to subtropical and tropical regions from western North America to South America. The species Stevia rebaudiana, commonly known as sweetleaf, sweet leaf, sugarleaf, or simply stevia, is widely grown for its sweet leaves. As a sweetener and sugar substitute, stevia's taste has a slower onset and longer duration than that of sugar, although some of its extracts may have a bitter or licorice-like aftertaste at high concentrations.

With its steviol glycoside extracts having up to 300 times the sweetness of sugar, stevia has garnered attention with the rise in demand for low-carbohydrate, low-sugar food alternatives. Because stevia has a negligible effect on blood glucose, it is attractive as a natural sweetener to people on carbohydrate-controlled diets.

The availability of stevia varies from country to country. In a few countries, it has been available as a sweetener for decades or centuries; for example, stevia is widely used as a sweetener in Japan where it has been available for decades. In some countries health concerns and political controversies have limited its availability; for example, the United States banned stevia in the early 1990s unless labeled as a dietary supplement,but in 2008 approved rebaudioside A extract as a food additive. Over the years, the number of countries in which stevia is available as a sweetener has been increasing. In 2011, stevia was approved for use in the EU starting in early December, 2011.

Joanie

Thank you for the great research Joanie! If indeed they use stevia I will notice it immediately. It has become quite popular as it is a natural sweeetner and it tastes delightfully sweet to most people, and me for the first microsecond, but then turns a bit bitter on my taste buds. But I will give it a go becasue that would be a better alternative than splenda type fluorinated hydrocarbons which my liver does not like (I have a gene mutation and can't process it and I'm sensitive to other sweeteners too so avoid them). I will ask on board and report back. I'm sure i"m not the only one who wonders. m--

I have no idea what they're sweetened with but they're very good...and since sugar keeps me awake at night (as well as caffeine!), I opt for the "no sugar added" desserts whenever possible.

Other than that, I avoid artificial sweeteners.

I avoid desserts altogether! I have heard that the 'best' artificial sweetner, for whatever reason(s) is 'Aspartame'!

I avoid desserts altogether! I have heard that the 'best' artificial sweetner, for whatever reason(s) is 'Aspartame'!

Could you provide a link to that information? It seems like aspartame has been replaced by splenda in many things so It seems hard to believe.

I don't have to limit sugar for any medical reasons, but I've tried several of HAL's sugar-free desserts and found them to be quite good. My favorites are the lemon torte and almond fruit cake.

Roz

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO RMLincoln: In my experience when a company says "no sugar added" they use chemicals to make it sweeter. Sugar isn't good for me either, but, it is better than the chemicals which could last longer in your body and have some side effects. Sometimes, I just skip dessert.

Thank you kindly for all the great information on this subject. I am no longer pre-diabetic, having been able to get down to normal numbers by diet and exercise, but I still pay attention. It's become a lifestyle change. I've been using Stevia when needed, because to me Splenda tastes like liquid aluminum. I avoid Aspartame too because I see what it does to my diabetic friend who drinks Diet Coke a lot and just keeps gaining weight.

Thank you kindly for all the great information on this subject. I am no longer pre-diabetic, having been able to get down to normal numbers by diet and exercise, but I still pay attention. It's become a lifestyle change. I've been using Stevia when needed, because to me Splenda tastes like liquid aluminum. I avoid Aspartame too because I see what it does to my diabetic friend who drinks Diet Coke a lot and just keeps gaining weight.

With the huge increase in young people with type 2 diabetes, I wonder if it's the Diet Coke and other Diet drinks that's causing it?

GeriatricNurse, I really wish you will learn how to edit quotes properly because you mess it up all the time.

Every "[ quote ]" tag must be closed by a "[ /quote ]" tag.

Thank you, Peter. The post of mine he/she quoted was really botched!

GeriatricNurse, I really wish you will learn how to edit quotes properly because you mess it up all the time.

For example:

Peter, you worry too much! ;)

Peter, you worry too much! ;)

No, not worried at all. I like to help people make less mistakes (ones that may annoy or confuse people and that have an easy fix). :rolleyes:

BTW... pot... kettle... black...

Archived