Bathtub pictures

alibabacruisers

Hi, does anyone have a picture of the bathtubs on the Volendam? Thanks

Barbara

Yes ma'am.

Just click on each photo to see them full sized.

Volendam

Large Ocean View deck 1

sm-PB_03-12-08_1-128-007.jpg

FF 1817 Large Ocean View

sm-1817_Michelle-1.jpg

D 2591 Large Ocean View Deck 2

sm-D-2591_portofrome-8.jpg

None for Decks 3, 4 or 6

Deck 7 Penthouse PS 7001

sm-Sage_PS-7001_2005-134.jpg

No photos for the other staterooms on deck 7 other than the Penthouse, sorry.

BUT, if you look at the other R class ships such as the Rotterdam they should be the same.

This is from A 7059 which would be equivalent to an S on Volendam

sm-7059_Kathi_2010-5.jpg

Hope these help

Joanie

I'm not sure what kind of information you wanted, but I would like to add that I find the tubs on the ships quite narrow. The sides are quite high as well. I'm on the short side, and that may be part of it, but I find there is quite a step up and down to clear the sides of the tub. I have lost count of how many times I have stubbed my toes getting in or out of the tubs. I actually prefer the shower-only cabins to ones with tubs.

I'm not sure what kind of information you wanted, but I would like to add that I find the tubs on the ships quite narrow. The sides are quite high as well. I'm on the short side, and that may be part of it, but I find there is quite a step up and down to clear the sides of the tub. I have lost count of how many times I have stubbed my toes getting in or out of the tubs. I actually prefer the shower-only cabins to ones with tubs.

I fully agree!

We were once booked on the Maasdam, in an inside. We received a nice upgrade to a midship oceanview. Nice, that is, until my elderly mother took one look at the very high sides of the tub, and shook her head, saying she could not climb in.

We went to the desk, and asked to switch to an inside. The clerk said, sorry, the ship was completely sold out. Another passenger in line overheard our dilemna, and offered to swap with us from their inside.

The clerk said we could do that, and then made it official, issuing all of us new cards, and arranging for the luggage transfer.

Lesson learned....next time book a specific cabin and indicate 'no upgrades accepted'.

Not only are the sides of the tub quite high, but the base of the tub is higher than the floor of the bathroom. That's not so bad getting in, (assuming you can get your leg over). But getting out can be dangerous, especially if the ship is rolling. The bottom can fall out from under you just as you thought you were going to touch the floor.

Be careful!

If you have arthritis, it can be scary.

I found that trying to get in/out by swinging my leg behind me (like getting on/off a bicycle), while holding on to the grab bars, was easier.

Joanie, thanks so much for the pics.....we were wondering about the "whirlpool" tub...glad to see pics of the bathroom too! Are you doing okay today Joanie?

ellieanne, that is good info to know as I am on the shorter side too and that is the last thing I need is another stubbed toe...lol.

erewhon, thanks for the info and the well wishes....we are looking forward to our first cruise with HAL and the first for some of the South Pacific islands.

bob brown, I am so glad that everything worked out for you and your mother! That was real lucky someone was in line that could help you out.

ruth, thanks for the ideas and the cautions regarding the tub!

Thank you again to all!!!

:)

Barbara

A couple cruises back I had an "almost accident" moment getting out of the tub/shower. My foot just slipped a bit as it came down wrong when I stepped out. Scared the bejeezus out of me. Be very careful. Like Ruth said, if there is any ship motion to speak of, that first step can take you off guard.

JOANIE,

Would the pictures you posted be similar to bathrooms on the main deck (Large OV) on the Westerdam??

thanks

Yes. The bathtubs on all the ships would be so similar that you'd not be able to spot any differences easily if there are:)

Joanie

I wonder how many people actually take a bath on a ship, as opposed to a shower? HAL seems to be the only line that has bathtubs in standard cabins. For those that enjoy soaking, there is always the hot tubs on the lido deck.....

alibabacruisers.....The passengers that helped us out by swapping, probably considered themselves as 'lucky' as well. After all, they did move from an inside to an outside, and one at midship.

Now if we had tried to swap the other way around, well good luck with that!;)

Would the pictures you posted be similar to bathrooms on the main deck (Large OV) on the Westerdam??
As someone who as actually sailed on the Vista class (such as the Westerdam) ships along with the R & S class ships (the Volendam is a R class) I can assure you that the sides of the tubs on the Westerdam will be lower and easier to enter/exit than the tubs shown. The hardware is essentially the same, but the heights are very noticeable in the difference.

JOANIE,

thanks

Yes. The bathtubs on all the ships would be so similar that you'd not be able to spot any differences easily if there are:)

Joanie

As someone who as actually sailed on the Vista class (such as the Westerdam) ships along with the R & S class ships (the Volendam is a R class) I can assure you that the sides of the tubs on the Westerdam will be lower and easier to enter/exit than the tubs shown. The hardware is essentially the same, but the heights are very noticeable in the difference.

Sorry, Joanie. Mary Ellen is correct here. Hence the comments about the tubs on the Volendam (the subject of the OP) being so difficult to get in/out of.

The tubs on the S-, and R-classes, and on the Prinsendam are significantly higher than on the Vista, and Signature class ships. Those are more like you would have at home.

Sorry, Joanie. Mary Ellen is correct here. Hence the comments about the tubs on the Volendam (the subject of the OP) being so difficult to get in/out of.

The tubs on the S-, and R-classes, and on the Prinsendam are significantly higher than on the Vista, and Signature class ships. Those are more like you would have at home.

Thank you to both Mary Ellen and Ruth for pointing out the difference in the height of the tubs on the different class ships!! You really cannot see that difference in a photo (at least I cannot.)

On the Zuiderdam this last September I did measure the tub from floor to the edge, where I sat my behind to swing my legs over and into the tub, and it was 18 inches from floor to lip outside and from the bottom of the inside of the tub to the lip it was 16 inches deep.

For me it is not a problem on the Vista or Signature class ships to sit on the rub lip and wing into the tub, for others the experience seems to be different.

And to someone asking how many actually use the tub... If it has a whirlpool in it, I am in it:D

Edited to add: For us the tub size on Vista and Signature class ships is the same size as our tub here at home. Ours is a smaller than normal sized tub for some strange reason. It is only 59 inches long and barelyu able to fit an adult comfortably. It really looks the same size to us as we have had on the ships, to include the heights

Joanie

I wonder how many people actually take a bath on a ship, as opposed to a shower? HAL seems to be the only line that has bathtubs in standard cabins. For those that enjoy soaking, there is always the hot tubs on the lido deck.....

alibabacruisers.....The passengers that helped us out by swapping, probably considered themselves as 'lucky' as well. After all, they did move from an inside to an outside, and one at midship.

Now if we had tried to swap the other way around, well good luck with that!;)

I ALWAYS take a bath in my whirlpool tub on HAL!! I'm already looking forward to doing just that on the Maasdam. Yes, there are whirlpools up top, but sometimes they're not very hot and, besides, you have to wear clothes there. :p

Archived