State Department Warning re: Mexico

navybankerteacher

My parents are spending 2 weeks in Puerto Vallarta at the present time and they said it's lovely and totally safe.

If you read the Travel advisories closely, only Mazatlan is on the list and it's for staying in the tourist areas and keeping close in the evening hours.

Cabo, Puerto Vallarta are fine in the cities.

My parents are spending 2 weeks in Puerto Vallarta at the present time and they said it's lovely and totally safe.

If you read the Travel advisories closely, only Mazatlan is on the list and it's for staying in the tourist areas and keeping close in the evening hours.

Cabo, Puerto Vallarta are fine in the cities.

Puerto Vallarta was on the caution list released today

Does anyone know if Carnival says the Mexican Riviera is off limits what route will be an alternative for the 7 or 9 day cruises? Yes PV & most of the Riviera is is stated to a hot zone it was announced today. Cabo is in clear so far.

I actually heard the opposite about Puerto Vallarta, Cabo and Mayan Riviera regions. I heard they were still all safe. Can anyone confirm this?

I was planning either a cruise or land vacation to one of these regions in late April. I am still hoping things are ok by then.

navybankerteacher - I don't think you will have to worry if you are on a cruise. The cruiseline will not put any of their passengers or crew in danger by stopping somewhere that the U.S. State Dept as unsafe.

Go, have a great time and follow your common sense.

Here's a link & map release also the State Dept link is on this site too.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/296777/20120210/travel-warning-mexico-2012-map-advisories.htm

I did notice the soldiers/police on the dock in PV armed with machine guns & i did have an uneasy feeling about that, but we were alright they showed us no eye contact or anything. We plan to go back again in Sept, i just hope Carnival doesn't take us to Cabo for 3 or 4 days or do a fun at sea for 7 days. That'll be pretty cool if they decide to cruise North of the US, if they find Mexico to be that unsafe.

It is only going to get worse for American tourists down there. The state Dept has warned us. I will be staying on the cruise ship in April if we stop in Puerto Vallarta then...I do not want to get off in a port surrounded by armed security. There is a reson they feel they need to be there...

We are booked on the Star Princess in September. We have been to Mexico about 6 times or more over the past 10 years. Love leaving out of San Francisco because it is a home port of us.

Truth be told, we really just go for the ship and the US ports, we don't even both to get off in Mexico anymore.

We do the same thing when we go to the MIddle East, we have been to all the ports before, so simply enjoy the ship. So the turmoil is not an issue.

Do think folks need to be very smart going into these ports given the current situation.

I can't remember what cruise line does this trip but here's a thought, maybe the other cruiselines that have the Mexican Riviera destinations could use this as an alternative. We can all take in the beauty of Americas coast line. :)

California Coastal: Roundtrip Los Angeles

7 Days - Los Angeles, stops include, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, San Diego, Ensenada, Los Angeles

I have spent some time in Mexico and I love it. Yes there are security guards, but there were the same security guards in US airports after 9/11. I am going next week and I can not wait! If you live in fear you may never see some of the most beautiful sights. PV is an amazing city. Don't go to the black market malls, or carry a ton of cash. You will be fine enjoy your vacation and don't get to stressed over it all.... I went to Mexico City right as they were getting over swine flu, I didn't let the idea that something could happen stop me from having the time of my life!

With the recent State Department warning concerning extreme violence in virtually all the Pacific coastal areas of Mexico, will you rethink planning a Mexican Riviera cruise?

At what point will the Mexican government take effective steps?

Last I checked the violent crime rate was still higher in Miami and Los angeles, than it was in Cancun or Puerto Vallarta

I still plan on going in Sept if Carnival still plans on making the trip,i just want ppl to be aware of their surroundings.

I did call Carnival & asked them about the warnings in traveling to Mexico, they said they have not heard anything yet,but if they do they will contact all passengers by e-mail or calls & let them know of any changes asap.

Just got back from a week in Huatulco Mexico. It is on the Pacific ocean about 200 miles south of Acapulco. Got outside the resort and always felt perfectly safe.

i am booked on a full transit of Panama canal in Dec. Will be going to Colombia, Guatemala, Costa Rica and two ports in Mexico. I trust the cruise itinerary. Looking forward to visiting PV again. It is one of my favorite places in Mexico.

If you are really nervous then take a cruise to Northern Europe.:)

Archived