Need Info on the Oosterdam!

beasel

Anyone have comments on thOosterdam? We're thinking of taking it to Alaska in May with family but I've read some terrible comments about the condition the ship is in. Anyone on it now who can give us some up to date information??

Help! Have to make a decision very soon,

Thanks.

My husband and I were on the ms Oosterdam (to Alaska) in September 2010 and we loved it. All I can remember is the great time we had and the wonderful people who took care of us during our stay. We would go back on that ship in a heartbeat. In fact, we really wanted to go to Mexico on the ms Oosterdam, but she wasn't heading there when we could go. We went to Mexico on another line, had a terrible time, and we know it would have been completely different had we been aboard the ms Oosterdam!

PS: I have a review on here somewhere from that trip.

My husband and I were on the ms Oosterdam (to Alaska) in September 2010 and we loved it. All I can remember is the great time we had and the wonderful people who took care of us during our stay. We would go back on that ship in a heartbeat. In fact, we really wanted to go to Mexico on the ms Oosterdam, but she wasn't heading there when we could go. We went to Mexico on another line, had a terrible time, and we know it would have been completely different had we been aboard the ms Oosterdam!

PS: I have a review on here somewhere from that trip.

It is my belief that the OP wishes for current info on the Oosterdam. Probably from 2011 to current time. I did not answer OP's original request on the Stateroom Sticky because I do not know. My last cruise on her was April last year and OP wants newer than mine.

Joanie

We were on the Oosterdam last month-our 4th cruise on this particular ship (or maybe 5th). We like it very much and found the food and service on our most recent voyage to be the best we have had, perhaps attibutable to John Deering who seemed to be everywhere. We gravitated to Oosterdam after some unfortunate mechanical type issues on our prior favorite HAL ship, the Statendam. It is just getting too old.

The food in the MDR was excellent and our room stewards were great. The only area that could use significant improvement is in the cabin interior and verandah furniture where it is really looking worn. The verandah cushions had stuffing coming out of them and the resin wrapped chairs were coming apart. Inside, the chairs were serviceable but looked very worn and stained. Probalby a case of some bean counter (I am one) making a determination that they could save $X million a year by adding another year or two to the replacement schedule for these pieces of furniture. Not much the crew can do about that.

I would sail on the Oosterdam again without any concern.

Gary

I have been on her 2 times in the last 4 months. She is in great shape, having come out of a drydock in late September 2011. I watched them replace many of her carpets during our late October Hawaii cruise.

Last week she looked great also.:D I can't think of one thing I noticed that seemed sub par at all. I posted my review a couple of days ago.......:D

We were on her in December 2011--the cabin furniture and deck furniture ( we were in a suite) was well worn and needed to be replaced IMOP. Thought food in MDR and buffet was good. Thought Pinnacle was over rated --not has good as some of our local steak houses. The Cannileto (sp?) is not has good as the chain Olive Garden IMOP. What really disappointed us was the lack of night time entertainment in the lounges such as a filipino band with singer etc. There was no where to enjoy a night of dancing-- the forward observation lounge never had a band etc. in 14 days. The shows were nothing special except for the Joel Mason show--the cooking classes offered where basic stuff like making mexican food.

Overall service from the staff was excellent in the dining rooms, bar areas , and buffet. The ship did not look to be in need of any major repairs other than furniture replacements.

Since this was our first cruise on Holland ---the biggest disappointment was the entertainment and the average experience in the Pinnacle.

Big Green

I am on her right now and I am very happy with the Oosterdam. I agree that her furniture has some wear and tear, but she looks a lot better than I expected after reading the reviews. Everyone is different, some notice things I probably would not. The service has been excellent and I love the food as does my hubby. I would not hesitate to sail her again!

The deck furniture on veranadas and around pools need to be tossed overboard...disgraceful condition for a premiere line. The cabin furniture is past its use by date as well: scuffed amd faded and dinged. The Pinnacle is worth the upcharge just to get away from hustle and bustle of MDR. Likewise the Canaletto where peace and quiet prevail. Try to get a cabin midships. We were on Oosterdam n December.

Anyone have comments on thOosterdam? We're thinking of taking it to Alaska in May with family but I've read some terrible comments about the condition the ship is in. Anyone on it now who can give us some up to date information??

Help! Have to make a decision very soon,

Thanks.

We were on the Oosterdam Jan 7 2012 and it was in great shape. We had a wonderful cruise on her and would do another one with no hesitation. Food was outstanding, crew was great, entertainment was good. I think you wouldn't go wrong taking an Alaska cruise on her.

Thanks to everyone for your input...I was pretty apprehensive after reading some of the negative comments. We were on the Volendam 2yrs ago and I really didn't like that ship. I'm most concerned a/c we're bring family members. Maybe they'll replace some of the furnishings by May!

beasel

You are going to see reviews and praises and complaints on any subject you would like to know about.

Some people expect the Four Seasons. Some people realize that there is a tremendous amount of people rotating on and off for years at a time, continuous cleaning which provides it's own wear and tear (like how you can wash a pair of jeans only so many times before they fade).

Let's not forget the ship is always on the sea. Salt water affects everything even if it's microscopic mist.

Personally, I think they do an excellent job maintaining. Have fun and don't worry as long as your linens are clean and smell good, your wine glasses are crystal clear, and there's nothing between the tines of your fork! :D

Thanks to everyone for your input...I was pretty apprehensive after reading some of the negative comments. We were on the Volendam 2yrs ago and I really didn't like that ship. I'm most concerned a/c we're bring family members. Maybe they'll replace some of the furnishings by May!

beasel

What was wrong with the Volendam?

I am on her right now and I am very happy with the Oosterdam. I agree that her furniture has some wear and tear, but she looks a lot better than I expected after reading the reviews. Everyone is different, some notice things I probably would not. The service has been excellent and I love the food as does my hubby. I would not hesitate to sail her again!

Hi - we're sailing on the Oosterdam March 31 to Hawaii. I'm planning on taking a rather large suitcase (biggest the airlines allow us to check). Would you be able to measure the space under the bed (from bottom of frame to floor) so I can compare the measurement with my suitcase? Thanks so much!

Hi - we're sailing on the Oosterdam March 31 to Hawaii. I'm planning on taking a rather large suitcase (biggest the airlines allow us to check). Would you be able to measure the space under the bed (from bottom of frame to floor) so I can compare the measurement with my suitcase? Thanks so much!

My little measuring tape comes in handy! It is 13 1/2" tall, once you get past the little lip it is 14 1/2"tall. Length wise it is 55" Hope this helps!

My little measuring tape comes in handy! It is 13 1/2" tall, once you get past the little lip it is 14 1/2"tall. Length wise it is 55" Hope this helps!

Thank you very much! It will just fit! We were on board last August for an Alaska cruise but I didn't have my big bag. Thanks again! Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Thank you very much! It will just fit! We were on board last August for an Alaska cruise but I didn't have my big bag. Thanks again! Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

We had no problem and we do have big cases. If you do, just open them and put them inside or ask the steward to store them for you. We had no issues on this ship or, for that matter any ship we have been on:)

I've read here that some people with very large suitcases, leave the cover open and the bag slides under the bed but with the cover closed, it's just a bit too tight a squeeze.

Archived