Help - 2 nts. Mt. McKinley vs. 2 nts. Fairbanks

wailea4me

Look at the activities available at each location then choose whichever one supports your interests.

(BTW, McKinley Princess Lodge is in a very remote location 2 1/2 hrs south of Denali. Look at their web site for activities offered)

If Denali is your primary goal, consider DIY so you can spend time where you want. The Alaska Railroad can be reserved on line if you don't want to drive.

I'll second the suggestion that you do a do-it-yourself tour. We went last August and considered several different cruistour options, but could not get one that gave us everything we had wanted to do. :confused:

Did it ourselves, and were able to do everything we wanted, did a better (longer) tour into DNP, and actually saved money. :D

For example, we stayed 2 nights at the McKinley Chalet Lodge, took the Kantishna Experience Tour, a flight tour back, and then dinner theatre that night. Gave us a full day in DNP, 8 hours on a bus (highlight of my whole cruise, fanatstic views of Mt McKinley. Been told we were lucky, but we saw the mountain on all 3 days we were in the area: driving in, on the tour, and driving out!!), then to top it off a Kantishna Flight Taxi back!!!

Are you sure you are getting two nights in Denali with Princess? Typically when you get two nights at the Mckinley Princess, you get one night at Denali. As mentioned already, the McKinley Princess is about 100 miles from Denail National Park. If Denali is a priority, check to see if you are getting the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali. If not, try to upgrade to it. Princess will if there is enough time. Others are not as accomodating. However, after all the expense, taking the loss and booking your own shuttle into the park is a good investment.

I have been hoping that someone who has done a Princess land tour would chime in with their experiences. Is there a Princess land tour that spends two days at the Mt. McKinley Princess lodge (mile 133 Parks Highway)and also two nights at the national park entrance at the Denali Princess lodge (mile 238 Parks Highway)?

I have been hoping that someone who has done a Princess land tour would chime in with their experiences. Is there a Princess land tour that spends two days at the Mt. McKinley Princess lodge (mile 133 Parks Highway)and also two nights at the national park entrance at the Denali Princess lodge (mile 238 Parks Highway)?

I have not done a Princess tour, but have researched them. I have seen two nights at Denali and one night at McKinley, or two nights at McKinley and one night at Denali. I am not sure why anyone would want one night, let alone two nights at the McKinley Princess Lodge. JMHO

I suggest you call Princess or your TA to find out if what you want exists. I do not believe so.

I have not done a Princess tour, but have researched them. I have seen two nights at Denali and one night at McKinley, or two nights at McKinley and one night at Denali. I am not sure why anyone would want one night, let alone two nights at the McKinley Princess Lodge. JMHO

I suggest you call Princess or your TA to find out if what you want exists. I do not believe so.

Since I live in Alaska, I am unclear as to why I would be interested in a Princess landtour. "AK" is the US postal abbreviation for Alaska, not Arkansas.

Given the location of the Mt. McKinley Princess lodge I am also not clear as to why anyone would want to spend two days there. In my opinion, the Denali Princess is in a much better location.

Yes, there a several Princess Tours that spend two nights in each of the locations. We are viewing Mt. McKinley lodge as a respite stop with a more relaxed pace. We will do one of the excursions (to a sled dog kennel) and may spend a little time in Talkeetna. We enjoy nature and a slower pace (and my parents are a little older) so we are looking forward to just hanging out a little. Hopefully, the mountain will be visible, and the weather good. We might be able to hike a little bit if that is the case.

We did the five day land tour with Princess last August. We stayed one night at the Fairbanks Princess, 2 nights at the Denali Princess and 2 nights at the McKinley Princess. I enjoyed all the places, the rooms were pretty similar. McKinley Princess was pretty remote as it was an hour by bus to Talkeetna and the train station. Lots to do at all.

We did the five day land tour with Princess last August. We stayed one night at the Fairbanks Princess, 2 nights at the Denali Princess and 2 nights at the McKinley Princess. I enjoyed all the places, the rooms were pretty similar. McKinley Princess was pretty remote as it was an hour by bus to Talkeetna and the train station. Lots to do at all.

What did you do at McKinley Princess. Have you ever written a review of your cruisetour?

Trying to decide on 2 different cruisetours. 2 nts. at a Mt. McKinley Princess lodge vs. 2 nts. in Fairbanks with HAL. Both of these offer 2 nts. in Denali which is most important to us. Thanks.

No question - Denali but book it yourself instead of doing the Princess excursion.

DON

Archived