Dress code changes

Mathguy42

Cheers Tom.

I have been informed by Celebrity that my kilt will be accepted as formal evening wear and I will be welcomed wearing it. I will even be bringing my email with me just in the highly unlikely case anyone says anything.

Greetings

That's great. I have several Scottish friends and they all wear kilts to various functions. If you have the confidence to pull it off, good for you. It is interesting that there are similar lively discussions occuring on the Princess boards.

Good Sailing

Tom

I say go for the kilt. I have worn my kilt on every cruise to every formal night. I do not have as many occasions in life as I used to to dress formally, and look forward to the cruise formal nights. Yes, there are many who choose not to dress formally, I say make your own party, and enjoy. And, be prepared to receive a lot of comments.....:D. You will need a sgain-dubh without a blade as security at boarding may take and hold a bladed one otherwise. I have one for cruises that is a single piece of molded plastic. Not the best, the keeps the tradition.

Thats brilliant cheers.

I will have a plastic sgain-dbhu supplied with the kilt. They have stopped giving out the real ones now.

Crisp1 dont worry about being traditional.

Its so cold here I dont think my bits will come back down again till jluy no matter what the temp is like in the Caribbean. :D And even if it does its that small its hardly noticeable. :D:D

Thanks for all the posts, suggestions, directives etc. I would have thought a "tie" made any dress formal for men and nowhere is that mentioned on Celebrity. We'll play safe and bring our dark suits and Italian silks for formal nights. Thanks for clarifying that a 'dinner jacket' is neither a blazer nor a sport's coat!

Kilts are part of the formal dress of Scotland, true Bermudas of Bermuda. I'm also assuming therefore that other countries' nationals' formal dress is appropriate on formal night? :)

Ed (OP)

Thanks for all the posts, suggestions, directives etc. I would have thought a "tie" made any dress formal for men and nowhere is that mentioned on Celebrity. We'll play safe and bring our dark suits and Italian silks for formal nights. Thanks for clarifying that a 'dinner jacket' is neither a blazer nor a sport's coat!

Kilts are part of the formal dress of Scotland, true Bermudas of Bermuda. I'm also assuming therefore that other countries' nationals' formal dress is appropriate on formal night? :)

Ed (OP)

Hi MathGuy42,

Loved your reply... taken in such good form.

As for other nationalities formal wear... I saw a stunningly gorgeous sari (expensive fabric, golden embroidery) worn by a Indian Lady in her mid 50s or so... on my recent cruise. Her hubby wore a suit.

They looked amazing !!

They were busy getting formal photos done when we passed by them on way to the Dining Room (they were with what looked to be an extended set of family members... all also appropriately, and beautifully dressed as well)

And HAPPY CHAPPY, we too saw a man in a kilt... so you'll be in fine company as well.

And oh ya, The Officers turn out in their "Dress" gear... White Tuxedo Jackets vs their standard Black (or is it navy) Suit Jackets. Mr Sloop and I were fortunate enough to get "picked" (waved over by the Photographer) to get our photo taken with The Captain (fabulous souvenir)... Hubby was in a Tuxedo, and I in a long gown, so we really think that that might have been part of the reason we were one of the couples chosen.

Cheers!

Well, taken literally, it doesn't even say that a gentleman must wear a shirt or even shoes, but I would hope that people aren't so naive that they wouldn't know that :D

Imagine the sight? In walks a "gentleman" wearing only slacks and a tuxedo jacket. No shirt, no shoes. Yikes. :eek: This may be allowed on other cruise lines, but hopefully not Celebrity ;)

LOL...You have a great sense of humour:D. I pointed out the shirt and tie because my husband has started wearing a turtle neck with his suit.

LOL...You have a great sense of humour:D. I pointed out the shirt and tie because my husband has started wearing a turtle neck with his suit.

Whew! Nothing gets a site going like dress code questions and comments. I say wear what you want when you want. Those of you that don't approve, look the other way. If you want to dress up - do it! Dress down - do it! Life is too short to worry about what someone else is wearing to dinner.

Cheers Tom.

I have been informed by Celebrity that my kilt will be accepted as formal evening wear and I will be welcomed wearing it. I will even be bringing my email with me just in the highly unlikely case anyone says anything.

On the Silhouette in November, there were more than few men in kilts and dress sporran. Very distinguished!

We did an Azamara last year where there were NO formal nights.

Every night was Smart Casual.

We noticed on our last Royal Caribbean cruise that the 'daily paper' for the dress up night said "Suggested Dress Formal" not the old "Formal Dress".

It is quite disappointing to read this about the formal nights.

I have been really looking forward to the formal night as being Scottish it will give me chance to wear full highland outfit including kilt and Argyll or Prince Charlie jacket. If I could get away with just a normal jacket and a shirt & tie it will save me over £100 to hire my kilt.

I have been wearing my kilt (USAF Reserve tartan) with an Argyle jacket on formal night for a few years now. I am glad I made the investment and enjoy getting to meet new folks because its attraction. You should go for it!!!

Even saw a few formal "Dinner Jackets" (ie white tux jackets)

In the UK we seldom, if ever, refer to a tux. Formal wear for men is a dinner jacket (DJ) which is almost always black. White is also acceptable but usually in hot climates (which is why the crew would be wearing them). It is possible to get DJs in dark blue, wine, dark green etc, but black is still considered the most correct, or white in hot climates.

I say wear what you want when you want. Those of you that don't approve, look the other way. If you want to dress up - do it! Dress down - do it! Life is too short to worry about what someone else is wearing to dinner.

I don't happen to agree with this. When a person books a cruise, they book with a cruise line than has established a certain style and ambiance. Most people book with that line in part for that style and ambiance, and not just as a convenient transport vehicle to ports they want to visit. If the cruise line requests certain dress styles for certain evenings, a person should have enough consideration to honor that request. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but to me participating in the ambiance the cruise line promotes is the honorable thing to do. The "It's my vacation, I will do whatever I want" attitude is disrespectful to the people who actually care about the atmosphere the cruise line is presenting.

One thing that is as certain as death and taxes, is that at least one poster will chime in on each and every dress code thread with the unimaginative "Do what you want, who cares what other people think" comment, which clearly displays a total disregard for the other passengers around him.

You know a few years ago, I would read on the Royal Caribbean board all of this about dressing for dinner and people complaing about it. Giving the same old standard "its my vacation, "I don't have room in my suitcase.", etc. I never thought I would be reading the same thing on a Celebrity board.

In a way it makes me sad.

Cheers Tom.

We've seen lots of Kilts! I think they are quite handsome! It is formal.

A white dinner jacket is proper formal wear from Memorial Day until Labor Day.

The black tux is proper the rest of the year. But I guess it depends on where you are.

We've seen very few tuxes, lots of dark suits and ties, some pants, shirts and blue blazers, and someone in a golf shirt being turned away because he didn't have a jacket. A tie does not seem to be mandatory.

The last cruise we saw the dress code really adhered to and enforced was in 2007 on the Summit. After that it got more relaxed everytime we've sailed.

My husband used to take his tux, now he takes a dark suit and tie for formal night.

You know a few years ago, I would read on the Royal Caribbean board all of this about dressing for dinner and people complaing about it. Giving the same old standard "its my vacation, "I don't have room in my suitcase.", etc. I never thought I would be reading the same thing on a Celebrity board.

In a way it makes me sad.

It happens every time there is a dress code thread started.

We don't dress up on cruises.

We have never had dinner in the MDR.

Looking forward to first experience in AQ next cruise where the don't participate in the Formal Night Dress Code...

It is quite disappointing to read this about the formal nights.

I have been really looking forward to the formal night as being Scottish it will give me chance to wear full highland outfit including kilt and Argyll or Prince Charlie jacket. If I could get away with just a normal jacket and a shirt & tie it will save me over £100 to hire my kilt.

If you are looking forward to wearing a kilt, why would you even consider not doing it just to save that money? The chance is still there if you want it. What other people may or may not be wearing really won't matter when you stand for your portrait on the ship or eat your dinner. Surely wearing your kilt will be outstanding no matter what others are wearing. You could be in an ocean of tuxedos or a sea of short sleeves and my eyes would surely linger at the sight. Seize the moment and glory in it.

I was on the Millie a few months ago and on formal night, the maitre'd had extra white dinner jackets in the MDR. When someone came in without a jacket, he would lend him the jacket and let him carry the jacket to his table. After he was seated, the maitre'd would then take the jacket back to the front of the MDR. What a joke!

Okay folks we have had a lot of very spirited discussion on this thread about dress codes. My question, which is why I started the thread, has been answered, and the posts seem to be getting out of hand, or going beyond. If you have another thread you'd like to start, feel free to do so, but there is no need to take the discussion on this thread beyond where it was meant to go.

I now note, with regret, that there are many threads before mine which repeat this same discussion, so apologies for my duplication of a question which was answered on other threads.

Enjoy your cruises. We certainly plan to enjoy ours, regardless of how our cruise-mates dress; we just want to do the right thing... esp w.r.t. dress codes.

Ed

I'm amazed at the number of posts that I've seen regarding formal attire. I applaud Celebrity and any other cruise line who attempt to maintain the last vestiges of formality. I'm guessing that many of us are near 60 in either direction. We grew up in an era where formality was expected. You dressed up to go to church. You dressed up to go out to eat. You dresssed up to go to work. I can remember in 1972, a coworker being sent home for wearing a turtleneck instead of a tie. I think the best way we can preserve formality in attire is by example. For those of you in a younger generation, please carry on the tradition.

Well, taken literally, it doesn't even say that a gentleman must wear a shirt or even shoes, but I would hope that people aren't so naive that they wouldn't know that :D

Imagine the sight? In walks a "gentleman" wearing only slacks and a tuxedo jacket. No shirt, no shoes. Yikes. :eek: This may be allowed on other cruise lines, but hopefully not Celebrity ;)

Celebrity's policy doesn't require slacks either. Stark naked except a neatly pressed white dinner jacket meets the letter of the policy...

we have just come back off the silohuette on friday and i was very very disappointed with the so called formal nights.no atmosphere,lots of people not adhering to the dress code,and i kid you not on one formal night a lady came out of the mdr in a pair of pyjamas and two ladies in jogsuits,it just would not be allowed on p and o or cunard,it spoils it for everybody who has gone to the trouble to dress up,celebrity need to make their minds up its either a formal night or its not!!!!we have done 4 cruises with princess and p and o and their formal nights were something special-on celebrity just the same as every other night with the odd person making an effort,and that is not just my opinion,lots of othe guests commented on it too.

My understanding of British culture is that the higher one's class, the less the rules apply. This is definitely true of cruise lines: many luxury lines don't have formal nights at all (Azamara, Oceania and Regent).

This is just one of the things you need to do your research on (smoking policy, entertainment offerings, overall ambience) when choosing a cruise line. If this is really important to you, you should probably avoid American-centric lines since informality rules here.

Archived