Fictitious Cruisers?

Sbilko

[quote name='TheKuhnFamily']That's a good idea... how do I do that?[/quote][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]The User Guidelines tell you how. IIRC they want you to submit 5 new names for them to choose from ... something like that.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[quote name='TiogaCruiser']Why post an announcement thread....... And create a trail?[/quote][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Well, if you don't and you're recognized by your style or facts you reveal over time (like past cruises in your profile), some here would presume that you're trying to get away with two accounts. I'm figuring that a potential burglar would not be likely to see the announcement thread.[/size][/font]

About a year or so ago a regular posted about HAL contacting them regarding a matter they had posted about On CC and an upcoming cruise. It didn't take much to identify them (including what HAL has by necessity). And THAT is plenty of info on THAT.

So it's not just what is here, but what is HERE and THERE, wherever THERE is.

[quote name='TheKuhnFamily']That's a good idea... how do I do that?[/quote]

[quote name='jtl513'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]The User Guidelines tell you how. IIRC they want you to submit 5 new names for them to choose from ... something like that.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Found it:
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkRed]If you would like to change your user name, please send four or five choices for a new name along with the reason for the change to: [email]boards@cruisecritic.com[/email].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='TheKuhnFamily']
I requested "HostWalt"... I hope it's available![/quote]:D :D [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Be careful what you ask for! Did you hear the story recently about a guy who has vanity license plates that read "NO TAGS", and has been mailed around $20,000 in violation fines that aren't really his? :eek:

p.s. - I think I'll know your new name from my Profile friends list.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

This is exactly why I changed my name! It feels really weird but it needed to be done. I gave them Seago and they came back with Seago2. I'm settling into it....:o. No way was I going to start a new thread about it- first of all, where would I post it?

[quote name='Sbilko'][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=4]Back in 2009, prior to our Fall Panama Canal Cruise, on the Westerdam,:) I joined Cruise Critic. At that time there was a CC member who kept posting her cruise experiences, forgot her CC name. She was very critical of a few members, myself included:eek:. Her posting all of a sudden ceased, due to the fact that she had only traveled with HAL in her mind, she had never been on any cruise ship, from any line. I traced this information out through the internet. Great detective work by Host Walt I believe.:) [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=4]When I read some of the posts now, I always ask myself, could this person just be posting to stir the pot? Forms like [B]CC, are great[/B], for those of us, who actually do cruise, or who are planning or checking out cruising. But we must be always aware that these forms use “Log in Names” and not real identities. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=4]Has anyone else wondered about the reliability and credibility of some of the members who post on this site?:eek:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=4][B]I know our CC Hosts do the best job possible to ensure the reliability of the CC members, but some of the comments I have read make me wonder.[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

These people are on my ignore list. I never have to see what they post. :D

Wow, this is all news to me. There were some posters a few years ago that I remember liked to stir things up a bit. Sometimes I agreed with them, mostly not. Nothing I would have thought would have gotten them banned though. And I never would have imagined any one could fabricate what by all accounts seemed legit cruise knowledge / experiences. I can't imagine having that kind of time.

On another note, there are some really great CC'rs who just don't post anymore, if at all. I miss them. Nice people with lots of knowledge.

I have been sailing HAL since 1988, I don't post often because when I do, most discount my experiences..... what can I say. When I comment, it is usually trying to help a new cruiser.. lately there has been a lot more 'bullying' when someone disagrees with a statement and it turns into a 'high school like cliche'. So mostly I don't post anymore.

[quote name='momatibm']I have been sailing HAL since 1988, I don't post often because when I do, most discount my experiences..... what can I say. When I comment, it is usually trying to help a new cruiser.. lately there has been a lot more 'bullying' when someone disagrees with a statement and it turns into a 'high school like cliche'. So mostly I don't post anymore.[/quote]

I, for one, am sorry to hear that. there are a lot of helpful people on the boards. Hit the ignore button for those that you don't want to listen to.

Or just plain ignore them, but come on back and join us. Not everyone on the board is a bully:o

The nice thing about having your name changed is that it automatically changes the name on all of your past posts. If you want people to be able to recognize you, and they are really familiar with you, they will be able to figure it out I'm sure.

I changed my name recently because when I first signed up, I used the first dumb name that came to mind. I wasn't planning on CC being an ongoing resource...or an addiction! :D So, my name was dumb, no one really cared what it referenced, and it started annoying me.They kindly changed my name. I don't know that I chose anything better, but I like it.

I hope that no one who may have noticed the change thinks that I changed it for any other reason. ;)

[quote name='May B']I wonder if I knew you by your "old" one. No need to reply; some time when I'm bored, I'll look at all your old posts and see if I can recognize any![/quote]

Thanks! I haven't posted much, as compared to everyone else. I'm probably not very noteworthy (or would hope not! :D) I was Alaskan on HAL. I'm an Alaskan Native who likes to visit home from Ca via cruising.

[quote name='Amuse Bouche']They kindly changed my name. I don't know that I chose anything better, but I like it.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]So do I. When I see your name I think back to being in the Pinnacle. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]That's always a pleasant thought! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Sbilko']
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=4]Has anyone else wondered about the reliability and credibility of some of the members who post on this site?:eek:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]

You betcha!

I seem to recall that there were even people "caught" for being "paid" cheerleaders/bashers. (Could be faulty memory)

[quote name='TheCalicoCat']You betcha!

I seem to recall that there were even people "caught" for being "paid" cheerleaders/bashers. (Could be faulty memory)[/quote][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]The RCCL "Royal Champions" weren't exactly "paid", but they were given some special treatment. Do a Search.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='jtl513'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]The RCCL "Royal Champions" weren't exactly "paid", but they were given some special treatment. Do a Search.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]

I am just happy that my memory is somewhat intact. - In a much as remembering about Champions. - Special treatment is a form of payment. I believe it is termed "in kind" payment.

[quote name='TheCalicoCat']I am just happy that my memory is somewhat intact. - In a much as remembering about Champions. - Special treatment is a form of payment. I believe it is termed "in kind" payment.[/quote][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Well, we're quibbling about words here, but I'd call it a "reward" rather than a quid pro quo payment.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]They didn't have to do specific tasks to earn a payment in kind.
See [URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_in_kind[/URL][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='jtl513'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Well, we're quibbling about words here, but I'd call it a "reward" rather than a quid pro quo payment.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]They didn't have to do specific tasks to earn a payment in kind.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]See [URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_in_kind[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

My limited understanding had me thinking that they got "a beer" for 10 wonderful reviews... There is a guy at an intersection near my office that would be willing to do far more than that for a beer.:rolleyes:

I guess it depends on who you ask if a beer is payment or reward. (If you had been willing to pay for the beer in the first place...)

Again, I don't know what they were offered as a reward nor do I know exactly what they had to do to get it.

Archived