Truth about Anytime Dining, Formal night and coffee

travelgenie

I agree with Pam, if the majority thought the coffee that horrible there would be a massive line at the International Cafe during most hours.

A new consipracy theory!! :rolleyes: Launch the black helicopters!!:D

I agree. Pam stated most find it ok or just fine. Key word being ok. Ok enough that I would bet that on most cruises the percentage of passengers who have purchased a coffee card is rather small. I agree with your point that if most passengers had purchased a coffee card you wouldn't be able to get in or around the IC or anywhere they serve coffee card holders.

If I've learned one thing from doing B2B cruises, it's this: what's true on one cruise isn't necessarily true on the next, let alone on another ship.

Here are our truths:

We gave up on Anytime Dining when they instituted the 5:30pm really early traditional in one of the Anytime Dining rooms. Whereas we had never before had a line when we would go at 6-6:30ish, after the capacity was cut in half, we always did. That got quite old, so now we book the really early Anytime Dining, get a table for 2, and show up sometime between 5:30 and 6pm. We very much dislike the location of the regular traditional dining room on the Grand class ships.

DH still wears his tux...he loves doing so. However, throughout our cruises, we noted people in tropical shirts and slacks being seated all around us on formal nights. We don't care; it doesn't affect our evening, and would never say anything to the headwaiter or the passengers. But on the final formal night of our cruise, with our formal wear just cleaned (and we wanted to take it home that way), we dressed fairly casually on formal night and no one said a word to us either.

The only things that makes the Princess coffee palatable is lots of cream. If you drink your coffee black, you'll have more trouble with it. If you drink it with cream, there really isn't that much difference between the brewed coffee and the syrup coffee.

Just returned from a seven day cruise with one checked suitcase. Took seven long sleeved dress shirts, 7 golf shirts, 5 short sleeved dress shirts, 3 pair of pants, 4 pair of shorts, the needed amount of underwear,socks etc, a tux with two different vests, 4 pair of shoes, and two swim suites. One bag and under 50 pounds(47.5). Nope I'm not special.....just saying it can easily be done. The only real difference between formal or not is a jacket(you still need pants and a shirt) and really are they that heavy? And no I'm not a small....XL it is for me.

The nice thing about cruising is you have options:don't want to wear a tie there are other food venues other than the main dining room. You could also opt for Carnival or NCL.

Awesome! It's great to see this spelled out so clearly and that it doesn't take a packing miracle to work in formal attire For the folks who don't want to dress up for formal nights, just say so, don't try to guise it terms of baggage weight restrictions. There are plenty of options if you choose not to participate in formal nights and there are cruiselines where you don't even have to worry about it.

To recent Caribbean Princess Passengers:

I have a burning question for those who just finished up cruises on Caribbean Princess: Was a wine package available? I have read that wine packages are now available on some Princess ships, but not on others. We sail on the 26th and would like some idea about wine options. I can tolerate lousy coffee if good wine is available for a reasonable price.

My tastes run toward Jesus wine, recalling the story of when he turned water into wine after the bridegroom and bride ran low at the reception. All the guests said, hey, this is better than what we had before. Most everone else puts out the good stuff first, saving the cheap wine until our senses are dulled from the wine and we can no longer taste the difference.

At least that's the way I recall the story. In any case, do they have a wine package and if so does it include some of the good stuff?

Thanks in advance.

I think Pam is recounting her experiences that, I believe, are many (I think she has cruised A LOT). She is right--taste is a very personal phenomenon. I don't mind the coffee at all on any ship. The main dining rooms and buffets cannot be barista perfect nor can meals in those domains be anything but banquet food. All in all, they do a great job.
It really does not matter if someone has ten thousand cruises, unless one is performing an actual survey on board those cruises regarding the coffee, making such a statement and calling it a "fact" is simply...well, not a fact.
Or many, like myself, bring single serving coffee in the little pouches and jsut order hot water. I have drank coffee all over the world and in many different circumstances and hate Princess coffee in both the dining rooms and the buffets. I just do not constantly complain about it as I have found a solution that works for me.
I take my own coffee pot...nothing like sipping a REAL cup of coffee on the balcony first thing in the morning...Heaven!;)

We just returned from our first cruise on the 18th on the Crown Princess. I had read so much about the coffee beforehand on cruise critic. My husband and I are coffee crazy people so we bought a coffee card and very much appreciated the specialty drinks and brewed coffees at the IC.

I can't imagine that many people like the syrup coffee. One of the people at our table asked one of the head people in the dining room about the coffee and why they couldn't serve brewed in the dr. He said something about volume which is what I figured the reason is and he added many people do comment that they like it. I have had coffee at many many restaurants over the years and it probably was one of the worst cups of coffee I have had!

We loved the cruise and most things about it. Hopefully over time they can figure out a way to improve the coffee.

JB

Just back from Caribbean Princess, this is my experience with:

Anytime Dining: To clarify, on this ship anyway, how AD works, there are 3 main dining rooms, Palm is traditional, Island is Anytime only, Coral has both, an early traditional seating and anytime too. We had AD and used the Island Dining room (identical to Coral) and never had to wait, there were 6 of us, never made a reservation and we ranged from 6:30-7:30 with our dining times. Waiter did take our cabin numbers.

Formal nights: Like it or not, times have changed, and while you will still see a few tuxedos and long dresses, it was not the norm on this ship. My husband wore a sports jacket, shirt, tie and nice khakis, and myself, black silky pants and a top with a little bling, totally fine. I did see a lot of men in just a shirt and tie, we will leave the jacket at home next time. I did see some men in just short sleeve button down shirts with no tie, no big deal, saw no fashion police turning anyone away. Too much is made of this on these boards, the suggested dress code, is just that a suggestion, not a mandatory requirement.

Coffee: Seriously, coffee made from syrup, I still cannot believe that Princess serves that and yes, it is horrible in my opinion. We bought the coffee card and unlike the soda package, you can share it with anyone you choose. It is a punch card, 15 coffees for $29 and that is for specialty coffees, you can get a regular cup of brewed coffee without having to use a punch, worked out well for my husband and I.

Thanks for your truth, based on your experience on one ship and during one cruise. So did you enjoy the cruise?

I don't drink coffee myself, but I went on a cruise with 9 other people within the last couple years (all on the same cruise). Not one person bought a coffee card and not one person complained about the coffee. My roommate actually said it was a good cup of coffee and she does buy her coffee out a lot. So, it's all up to the person. Fact is, of the 9 people I cruise with all of them were OK with the coffee. Scientific no, but I think most people are OK with it.

Is there a high traffic time for anytime dining?

I like traditional but for Alaska Early is to Early and

Late is just Late.

Wife is pushing for anytime due to decent experiences in the Caribbean.

Should we just flip a coin?

Let's just say, don't show up at the Anytime Dining room around 6 or 6:30 and expect to get seated right away! On our last Alaska cruise we had Anytime Dining, and unless you got to the dining room right when it opened, or waited until after 8:00 pm - you had a LONG wait. And, we were willing to share a table. I don't believe we will ever choose Anytime Dining again, though the concept sounds nice.

We find the coffee in the buffet area "tolerable". It will do as a cup of coffee, but I rarely drink the entire cup. I am not a coffee connoisseur, fix my own at home in the mornings, but we buy the coffee card for the specialty coffee's, those are my wife's favorites. However, I also only mildly like the regular coffee from the IC either, usually too strong for my liking.

I do like the coffee in the dining rooms after dinner, it's much better.

Mike

We love good strong coffee--the syrup-stuff they serve on Princess is anything but, in our opinion. We'll continue to purchase the coffee card so we can enjoy fresh brewed, as well as the specialty coffees.

So far in our cruising experience with Princess, Anytime Dining has worked for us--have had to wait just a couple times--once with a group of 8--for about 20-30 mins.

On Formal nights, we usually do dress up for dinner (DH in a nice suit and myself in a long dress or fancy top and dressy slacks), but later in the evening will change into more casual attire so we can be more comfortable.

As you found out the people who post on CC are the ones who usually stick to any suggested dress code while everyone else on board pretty much do as they please. (and can get away with it very nicely). Just being dressed decently with a dress shirt & pants would be sufficient on most Princess cruises. The days of playing make believe & dressing the part are long gone unless you thrive on it.

btw - There no place mentioned anywhere that a tie was ever mentioned for dining on Princess. Where people get the idea that it's a requirement is only in their minds.

Here are the facts:

-- You'll often see or experience waits, sometimes long waits, for Anytime dining. Some people don't, many do.

-- On formal nights, the vast majority of passengers dress up, some don't. Some cruises are dressier than others. You're right in that you see few tuxes but most men are in suits and most ladies are all dressed up. On my cruises, very, very few men are in sports coats and a really small number, if any, without jackets.

-- The vast majority of passengers think the coffee is OK or just fine. That is a personal taste. You couldn't drag some people into Starbucks if their life depended on it, ditto for Dunkin' Donuts. It's personal taste.

Pam,

Thank you for providing your opinions even if you feel that they are "facts."

Now for my opinion, having cruised Princess multiple times, I tend to agree with the OP's comments.

Just back from Caribbean Princess, this is my experience with:

Anytime Dining: To clarify, on this ship anyway, how AD works, there are 3 main dining rooms, Palm is traditional, Island is Anytime only, Coral has both, an early traditional seating and anytime too. We had AD and used the Island Dining room (identical to Coral) and never had to wait, there were 6 of us, never made a reservation and we ranged from 6:30-7:30 with our dining times. Waiter did take our cabin numbers.

Formal nights: Like it or not, times have changed, and while you will still see a few tuxedos and long dresses, it was not the norm on this ship. My husband wore a sports jacket, shirt, tie and nice khakis, and myself, black silky pants and a top with a little bling, totally fine. I did see a lot of men in just a shirt and tie, we will leave the jacket at home next time. I did see some men in just short sleeve button down shirts with no tie, no big deal, saw no fashion police turning anyone away. Too much is made of this on these boards, the suggested dress code, is just that a suggestion, not a mandatory requirement.

Coffee: Seriously, coffee made from syrup, I still cannot believe that Princess serves that and yes, it is horrible in my opinion. We bought the coffee card and unlike the soda package, you can share it with anyone you choose. It is a punch card, 15 coffees for $29 and that is for specialty coffees, you can get a regular cup of brewed coffee without having to use a punch, worked out well for my husband and I.

Having sailed on the Caribbean Princess 4 times I have to say your review is dead on. We never had a wait for AT dining and we dined in the Island dining room anywhere between 6:00 pm and 8:00pm. There always seemed to be a line at the Coral dining room even before they split it between traditional and anytime. I guess it’s because the location is so prominent.

As far as the dress code, I experienced the same as you did on formal night. However I think that you may find that the majority of those who wear evening gowns and tuxedos probably have traditional dining. At least that was my experience the one time we dined in traditional. Anytime seems to be more relaxed. As other have said shorter 7 day cruises are probably more casual especially in the Caribbean. Also anytime diners dine with different passengers every night which provides a larger sample of what passengers are wearing as opposed to dining with the same tablemates at the same time daily, so it would stand to reason that you have more opportunity to spot someone who is not wearing a jacket or tie.

As much as I dislike Princess coffee I am one of those who you couldn’t drag into Starbuck’s. Someone at work thought that they were doing me a favor by giving me a $40 Starbuck’s gift card. It took me over a year to use it up. I would gladly pay for regular coffee on Princess but since they only have it in the IC which is just inconvenient for breakfast in HC I will continue to doctor it up with cream, sugar and hot water. I still like it better than Starbuck’s

As you found out the people who post on CC are the ones who usually stick to any suggested dress code while everyone else on board pretty much do as they please. (and can get away with it very nicely). Just being dressed decently with a dress shirt & pants would be sufficient on most Princess cruises. The days of playing make believe & dressing the part are long gone unless you thrive on it.

btw - There no place mentioned anywhere that a tie was ever mentioned for dining on Princess. Where people get the idea that it's a requirement is only in their minds.

True, but we'd look a bit odd dressed to "code" without a tie.

It's kind of implied.:rolleyes:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
  • Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

I wonder if there may be a difference in how folks dress between AT & TD?

My last cruise was a ten day B2B Carbbean in TD. I didn't roam the entire dining room, but I was seated near the entrance. Not once did I see even one person not dressed to "code".

Yes, after many years of browsing CC (I only use it during planning my trips and a review after), I have figured out that the "die hards" as I call them, will never back down on certain topics. Many people, like myself, just want an honest answer or opinion, but most of the time feel scolded or ridiculed. I agree with you the formal nights of years ago, are slowly becoming history, I don't care if you are in the Caribbean for one week out of San Juan, or a 17 day Panama Canal (HAL, last year) or a 14 day out of Venice (Celebrity, year before), I have found that the "vast majority" are not wearing tuxedos and gowns. My belief, is that people who cruise, know how to dress nice enough to go to the dining room, the formal night topic, is like beating a dead horse....... SUGGESTED ATTIRE, does not mean MANDATORY, period. I had a wonderful time on my cruise, like I always do, on any cruise line, believe it or not they are all more the same than different. One more thing about the coffee and then I am done, whatever excuse, reason for Princess using coffee syrup, in my opinion, it is a bad cup of coffee, why do people have to bring up Starbuck's and Dunkin Donuts, I don't go to either and was not comparing it to those establisments, but if RCCL can offer brewed, I believe Seattles Best, all over their ships for no charge, maybe Princess should pay attention. One last tidbit, saw a man on the cruise sporting a blue Cruise Critic t-shirt, imagine where I saw him trying to go..............

We were on the Caribbean Princess last week (Feb. 12-19) so I think I was on the same cruise as the original poster.

We had Anytime dining and we had to wait to be seated about half of the time in the Dining rooms. It appears to me that if you dine before 7:30 to 7:45 you will be seated pretty much immediately. I also noticed that larger groups seemed to be able to be seated quicker than smaller groups. We were a party of 4 and several times were seated at a 6 top table because 4 top tables were full. Also, if you are a party of two, if you are willing to sit with somebody else it seemed like you could be seated very quickly as well. We would always check both dining rooms and the wait times would be similar at each one.

The longest wait we had was the first formal night we arrived at 8:00 PM and waited in line about 20 minutes just to get the pager and then waited another 20 minutes to be seated. Had to rush the meal to make it to the 10:15 show. The other times we waited the line for a pager was much shorter and wait time after receiving the pager was around 5-15 minutes.

As far as formal night attire goes, I can honestly say I don't really pay much attention to that sort of thing so I am not really sure how things have changed over the years. We have been cruising since 2000 and I have basically worn the same suit on formal nights. Black suit with a black tie (not a bow tie) and my wife has wore nice dresses/gowns. I did notice on this trip when I was waiting for a pager the second formal night that a early 20's couple ahead of me seemed to be dressed nicely although he was not wearing a jacket. When the couple ahead of me got their pager, the person taking reservations told the man that he would have to change his pants before they could be let in to the dining room. I then looked and noticed that he was wearing jeans, but they were black and very nice and stylish/designer looking (looked very expensive as well). I would not have recognized them as jeans if it was not pointed out. The couple walked away with pager, came back about 30 seconds later and said they were not going to eat there and handed the pager back in.

I have nothing to add to the coffee discussion as none of us drink coffee.

Somebody else asked about a wine package and yes I know there was one offered as were approached about it several times during embarkation day. We were not interested so I do not know the details.

We are coffee snobs. Princess coffee is drinkable but not great.We buy a coffee card because we want a good cup of coffee in the morning.

Formal nights: With weight restrictions on airline luggage, I feel they should eliminated. Besides, I had to wear a tie from the age of 14 to when I retired at the age of 62. After all those years, I don't want to put another one on.

Sam

You sound like my DH. He is a coffee snob (as I am) so I guess we will have to buy a coffee card. We only drink coffee in the morning but a good cup is important. Ditto with the tie. We are still arguing over that point! Hopefully he will take a sport coat & tie at the least.

Disney serves syrup based coffee in Florida. Almost all the coffee they serve, including resort restaurants, is syrup based. I understand syrup based coffee is a lot more common then we think.

A poster said people who drink coffee with milk (or cream) are less likely to have an issue with syrup based coffee then people who drink their coffee black. Makes sense to me.

The vast majority hate syrup based coffee. I don't think so. Princess wouldn't be serving it. I'll agree a significant, and vocal, minority hate syrup based coffee but not the majority.

edited to add I prefer brewed coffee but I think some poster overstate the issue.

Totally wrong. Without facts, you just made that up. Fiction doesn't equal fact.

The vast majority of people doesn't like syrup based coffee flavored beverage. This is based on the fact that no coffee chain or restaurant chain uses it. If people really did prefer it, don't you think they'd start serving it asap while saving money in the process?

I have worked in/been to a lot of restaurants in my life and have yet to see one serve liquid coffee syrup based coffee.

Yes, after many years of browsing CC (I only use it during planning my trips and a review after), I have figured out that the "die hards" as I call them, will never back down on certain topics. Many people, like myself, just want an honest answer or opinion, but most of the time feel scolded or ridiculed. I agree with you the formal nights of years ago, are slowly becoming history, I don't care if you are in the Caribbean for one week out of San Juan, or a 17 day Panama Canal (HAL, last year) or a 14 day out of Venice (Celebrity, year before), I have found that the "vast majority" are not wearing tuxedos and gowns. My belief, is that people who cruise, know how to dress nice enough to go to the dining room, the formal night topic, is like beating a dead horse....... SUGGESTED ATTIRE, does not mean MANDATORY, period. I had a wonderful time on my cruise, like I always do, on any cruise line, believe it or not they are all more the same than different. One more thing about the coffee and then I am done, whatever excuse, reason for Princess using coffee syrup, in my opinion, it is a bad cup of coffee, why do people have to bring up Starbuck's and Dunkin Donuts, I don't go to either and was not comparing it to those establisments, but if RCCL can offer brewed, I believe Seattles Best, all over their ships for no charge, maybe Princess should pay attention. One last tidbit, saw a man on the cruise sporting a blue Cruise Critic t-shirt, imagine where I saw him trying to go..............

Bingo! If RCCL can offer fresh brewed cofee (Seattle's Best) than why oh why can't Princess? :confused::confused: I love Princess but in my opinion it is a way to get die hard coffee lovers to fork over more money for a coffee card. :mad:That said, I like coffee (mostly in the morning) and found Princess' to be adequate. Wondering if Princess reads these boards. I'm sure they receive many comments/complaints from the survey forms and coffee has to be a big complaint.

I'll be on the Emerald Princess for a 10 day cruise starting on March 17th, with anytime dining. I have recently lost quite a bit of weight and my jacket no longer fits. Rather than spending a few hundred dollars for something that I only wear on my once a year cruise (or the occasional funeral), I'm just going to wear a shirt and tie, with slacks on formal night.

I'll be sure to let you know if I'm shunned by the passengers and crew.

Archived