Hand Sanitizer?

sbt518

Do they have hand sanitizer stations on -X- at the entrances to dining rooms, buffet, etc?

It seems to me proper hygiene is one of the best ways to avoid getting sick when in an enclosed environment like a ship.

So just curious if I should bring more than my tiny purse size bottle or if it will be readily available.

do they have hand sanitizer stations on -x- at the entrances to dining rooms, buffet, etc?

It seems to me proper hygiene is one of the best ways to avoid getting sick when in an enclosed environment like a ship.

So just curious if i should bring more than my tiny purse size bottle or if it will be readily available.

yes!

There are usually hand sanitizer distributors at the entrance to the main dining room, buffet and à la carte restaurants. During the "initial rush" when the MDR doors open, there's usually a waiter or two with hand sanitizer at the ready to make sure everybody gets a squirt. They also usually post a steward on "squirt duty" at the gangway when entering the ship.

Cheers,

Luc

Two observations:

Bleach is the only way to kill this virus.

Second: Norovirus is everywhere, only on cruise ships and resort hotels and other places where the same people are confined for a long time it is traceable and noticable. In other places like restaurants or even your own home it can be there.

What cruise ships and other buildings can do to minimize the risk is: Ventilate, ventilate and ventilate. 100% fresh air supply! Do not recirculate air. OK it cost a little more to cool down or heat up 100% fresh air but it keeps the passengers happy.

Thanks for the info.

According the the CDC handwashing helps prevent Noro.

"Practice proper hand hygiene: Wash your hands carefully with soap and water, especially after using the toilet and changing diapers and always before eating or preparing food. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers (containing at least 62% ethanol) may be a helpful addition to hand washing, but they are not a substitute for washing with soap and water."

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-keyfacts.htm

Which I do often anyway. But I do also like to sanitize my hands after touching things that so many other people touch, elevator buttons, handrails, doorknobs, the subway here in NYC etc. I'm comfortable knowing I'm doing what I can to keep myself healthy. What others do, I can't control.

We sailed on Mercury last March, right after the 2 day layover in Charleston to sanitize and clean the ship. It was so funny being instructed on how to wash your hands. "Warm water, wash in between the fingers and sing happy birthday twice" The sanitizers were all over the ship. It was horrifying, after knowing what had happened on 3 previous cruises, to watch ignorant folks walking right by the crew with the dispensers. While I realize some people might be allergic to the lotion, not that many are. Why do people ignore safety measures??

When we re-boarded each time they were at the gangway and then right beyond the security checkpoints. We took it every time. Better safe than sorry.

What others do, I can't control.

And that's where the problem comes from. I've seen some pretty bad hygiene on board. ;)

I'm always shocked at the number people that walk out of the Men's room WITHOUT washing their hands.

I use my elbow on elevator buttons. :D

And that's where the problem comes from. I've seen some pretty bad hygiene on board. ;)

I'm always shocked at the number people that walk out of the Men's room WITHOUT washing their hands.

I use my elbow on elevator buttons. :D

Then they go to the buffet and use their hand to pick up the fries! Horrors....yes, there are plenty of hand sanitizer station around the ship but sometimes they are empty! Found quite a few empty ones on Carnival when I sailed with them last time. So, for a peace of mind, good handwashing before you eat and bring a small bottle with you for just in case...

I bet you end up on a lot of wrong decks! I don't use my elbow, I use my wife's finger.

Den

Nice... I am sure you are getting a beating from your wife!

Use your knuckles...you don't use your knuckles to pick up food, so it should be alright.

Then they go to the buffet and use their hand to pick up the fries!

Or sushi! Caught someone doing this last year, called them out on it... all was good, but I avoided the tuna that day. ;) (actually I asked the gentleman behind the counter to swap the tray out, letting him know what had transpired)

I bet you end up on a lot of wrong decks! I don't use my elbow, I use my wife's finger.

Den

If I let my husband push the elevator buttons two things might happen.

1) we'd probably wind up in the wrong place half the time and

2) HE'D be the one to get Noro and then I'd have to take care of him which would probably be worse than if I just got sick myself. ;)

Items such as hand cleaners, gels, moistwipes etc that contain benzethemium chloride are said to be more effective against certain strains of GI virus, including Norwalk. Clorox germicidal wipes contain this ingredient. Check your labels.

Also everyone on our cruises seemed very thorough about using the hand sanitation stations, sometimes even lining up to use them.

Archived