suite perks?

39august

Looking at a suite guarntee on Eurodam April 7 for $1500 pp. Have never sailed HAL and am used to Grand Suites on RCI. These come with a lot of perks. What are the suite perks on HAL, please? And what is the size of the least suites. I saw a description but no sq. ft. was given. Really, a separate shower and a whirlpool tub!

In January we were in a suite and have to tell you, it was the most relaxing vacation either my husband or I have ever been on. From the moment of embarkation until we had to leave and come back to the real world, we were treated like royalty. Holland treated us wonderfully. We were close to the Neptune Lounge and used it frequently, utilized our concierges, loved being able to bypass the lines when we had to tender, the bed was so comfortable, the dressing area with the mirrors, table and stool and closets where I had my 'girl stuff' to put and get ready was so nice, we found the deck to be fine for us to while away our evenings watching the world go by, really appreciated and enjoyed the lunch for suite guests (to imagine we weren't going to go), the ability to go to the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast each morning, free laundry, geez, I can go on and on. Others will give you the sq footage of the cabins, etc. What a way to travel!

Here's the suite amenities copied directly from Holland America:

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
  • Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
  • Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
  • Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
  • Cocktail party with ship officers
  • Priority boarding for tender ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests

• Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length
  • A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

Deluxe suites (categories SA, SB, and SC) run around 506 to 590 square feet including the verandah. I think the SC's are the smallest but their verandahs are some of the largest so maybe I'm wrong. We book deluxe suites but only on the smaller Holland America ships and they only have one category (category S) and don't have the variety of locations and sizes. Officially the deluxe suites on the smaller R and S class ships are around 556 square feet including the verandah and is easily our favorite and preferred cabin.

Right off the HAL site, here are the amenities that are included in the fare for a Deluxe Veranda Suite.

We book the "S" and "SA" cabins and really enjoy them and the nice comforts that are included.

Superior Suite

Exclusively available on Vista and Signature Class ships, Superior Suites offer 2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath, shower and additional shower stall, large sitting area, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 1 person, floor-to-ceiling window/sliding glass door leading to your personal verandah.

Category: SS, SY, SZ 398 sq. ft. with verandah

Refer to Deck Plans for specific information

Superior Suites include all the stateroom amenities, plus:

•A variety of firm, medium and soft pillows

•No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining

•Personalized cruise stationery

•Oversized bath towels

•One-touch telephone concierge service

•Fresh flowers

•Complimentary DVD library

Deluxe Suites Include all the Superior Suite amenities, plus:

•Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise

•Complimentary champagne and bottled water provided in suite upon embarkation

•Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers

•Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night

•Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request

•Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise

•Cocktail party with ship officers

•Priority boarding for tender ports of call

•Special disembarkation service

•Priority dining and seating requests

•Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only

•High tea service in suite on request

•A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length

•A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

$1500 for a 7 day cruise in an SA, SB or SC (deluxe suite) category is a great deal IMO.

There is one MAJOR problem with crusing in a deluxe suite on HAL however - once you experience it you will not want to go back to your old cabin category!

DaveOKC

Here's the suite amenities copied directly from Holland America:

• Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
  • Cocktail party with ship officers

Hi experienced "suite guests". A couple of questions regarding our perks:

1. Anyone used the binoculars that are available to suite guests? Are they old and huge? or fairly newer type, and smaller? We'll be doing the Inside Passage and if HAL provides fairly decent binoculars to us, then we won't bother bringing our own. If we don't need to bring them, more room in my luggage to bring stuff home!

2. Does anyone know when they usually hold the Cocktail Party with ship officers on a 7 day cruise?

Thanks in advance for all the great advice from HAL CC'rs!

SP

Hi experienced "suite guests". A couple of questions regarding our perks:

1. Anyone used the binoculars that are available to suite guests? Are they old and huge? or fairly newer type, and smaller? We'll be doing the Inside Passage and if HAL provides fairly decent binoculars to us, then we won't bother bringing our own. If we don't need to bring them, more room in my luggage to bring stuff home!

2. Does anyone know when they usually hold the Cocktail Party with ship officers on a 7 day cruise?

Thanks in advance for all the great advice from HAL CC'rs!

SP

The binoculars aren't bad but they're not topnotch either. I'd say they're medium size, not the big honkers but not the purse size. My wife got me Nikon sports binoculars a couple of years ago that work just fine, actually on the small end of medium sized, but they pack well and are easy to use.

The Cocktail Party is usually early on in the cruise, like the first or second day. It can be held in a number of locations on the ship from the Neptune Lounge to the Crow's Nest to one of the other bars. Differs from ship to ship and cruise to cruise so hard to say exactly when and where it will be held.

The Suite Cocktail Party is embarkation day (sometimes the next morning before lunch but rarely and only due to special circumstances) and is called Suite Welcome Aboard. It is often held in Neptune Lounge though sometimes in other locations around the ship. There are other cocktail parties to which some suite guests might be invited for various reasons but it is not usual that suite guests automatically are invited. Depends on many variables.....

We really enjoy the Suite Welcome Aboard party and almost never miss it. :)

The Suite Cocktail Party is embarkation day (sometimes the next morning before lunch but rarely and only due to special circumstances) and is called Suite Welcome Aboard. It is often held in Neptune Lounge though sometimes in other locations around the ship. There are other cocktail parties to which some suite guests might be invited for various reasons but it is not usual that suite guests automatically are invited. Depends on many variables.....

We really enjoy the Suite Welcome Aboard party and almost never miss it. :)

You're absolutely right it's usually embarkation day. Guess I should qualify my earlier statement about first or second day as I consider embarkation day as, at least to me, my "first day". :)

39August - we have stayed in both the Grand Suites on RCL and the Deluxe Suites on HAL. There is no competition. The perks with the Deluxe Suites on HAL far exceed the perks with the Grand Suites on RCL. The only downside to HAL that I can think of is that HAL does not serve free alcoholic drinks in the Neptune Lounge in the evening. We did enjoy going to the Concierge Lounge on the RCL ships for a free evening cocktail before dinner. Overall, the cabins, the balconies and the Neptune Lounge are far superior to their counterparts with the Grand Suites on RCL. You will not be dissapointed with the HAL deluxe suite.

Looking at a suite guarntee on Eurodam April 7 for $1500 pp. Have never sailed HAL and am used to Grand Suites on RCI. These come with a lot of perks. What are the suite perks on HAL, please? And what is the size of the least suites. I saw a description but no sq. ft. was given. Really, a separate shower and a whirlpool tub!

I would say that Deluxe Suites on HAL are more like Owners Suites than Grand Suites on RCI. As someone else says the Neptune Lounge does not have the nightly free drinks but also the Neptune Lounge is not open 24 hours like the Concierge Lounge on RCI. One thing that is nice for HAL suites that you don't get on RCI is the free laundry. Although, if you are 4 star Mariners you get that no matter what cabin grade you are in.

The Superior Suites on HAL are similar both in style and perks to the Junior Suites on RCI but without that wonderful walk in closet.

In January we were in a suite and have to tell you, it was the most relaxing vacation either my husband or I have ever been on. From the moment of embarkation until we had to leave and come back to the real world, we were treated like royalty. Holland treated us wonderfully. We were close to the Neptune Lounge and used it frequently, utilized our concierges, loved being able to bypass the lines when we had to tender, the bed was so comfortable, the dressing area with the mirrors, table and stool and closets where I had my 'girl stuff' to put and get ready was so nice, we found the deck to be fine for us to while away our evenings watching the world go by, really appreciated and enjoyed the lunch for suite guests (to imagine we weren't going to go), the ability to go to the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast each morning, free laundry, geez, I can go on and on. Others will give you the sq footage of the cabins, etc. What a way to travel!

We sailed on a 7 day cruise on Ms Ryndam last month in a SA suite. When we tendered in Belize we didn't go to the showroom to get tender tickets we just got in the LOOOOONG line ( it was rough and only a few of the tenders were operating) I thought "priority tender " perk meant we weren't required to get tickets. Is there a seperate line for suite guests?

I would say that Deluxe Suites on HAL are more like Owners Suites than Grand Suites on RCI. As someone else says the Neptune Lounge does not have the nightly free drinks but also the Neptune Lounge is not open 24 hours like the Concierge Lounge on RCI. One thing that is nice for HAL suites that you don't get on RCI is the free laundry. Although, if you are 4 star Mariners you get that no matter what cabin grade you are in.

The Superior Suites on HAL are similar both in style and perks to the Junior Suites on RCI but without that wonderful walk in closet.

Deluxe Veranda Suites on HAL have laundry AND dry cleaning included at no additional charge. There is no 'free' anything on any cruise ship...... ;)

There are things that are included in the fare and there are things that you pay more for when on the ship.

We sailed on a 7 day cruise on Ms Ryndam last month in a SA suite. When we tendered in Belize we didn't go to the showroom to get tender tickets we just got in the LOOOOONG line ( it was rough and only a few of the tenders were operating) I thought "priority tender " perk meant we weren't required to get tickets. Is there a seperate line for suite guests?

No I don't think there is a separate line for suite guests.You are right, the perk just means you don't have to get the ticket and wait in the showroom for your ticket number to be called. Priority tender for suite guests, just allows them to go down to the plank where they tender and get in line.

Deluxe Veranda Suites on HAL have laundry AND dry cleaning included at no additional charge. There is no 'free' anything on any cruise ship...... ;)

There are things that are included in the fare and there are things that you pay more for when on the ship.

Maybe I should have said "Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning" rather than "free" but I am sure the OP understood what I meant.

I wouldn't have thought it was necessary to post to point out the difference.

Maybe I should have said "Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning" rather than "free" but I am sure the OP understood what I meant.

I wouldn't have thought it was necessary to post to point out the difference.

The reason it might especially be pertinent is because the Four Star Mariners get complimentary laundry but not dry cleaning so it can get confusing just what each category of guest can expect to receive.

It also makes a distinction when comparing one cruise line to another. IMO

Though OP may know maybe not everyone reading here does?

Superior Suites are great we were in a SS on westerdam about 400 sq ft total with 2 sinks in bathroom seprate shower and tub, nice balconey, but almost no perks, The SA we were in on Zuiderdam cabin is about 100sq ft bigger, but with the perks, breakfast at Pinnacle was very nice, laundry and dry cleaning is great when doing longer cruises. Was not impressded with neptune lounge, but it was handy to get coffee at in the morning. Did enjoy the cocktail party with officers, capatain came over and introduced himself to us.

• 6 months later...
What's included in the no host mini bar?

It is not free.

The "No Host" mini bar consists of (new prices as of Nov 2011):

These are all airline size bottles 1.75 ounces

2 Beefeater Gins - $5.25

1 Johnny Walker Red Label - $5.25

1 Bicardi Rum - $5.25

1 VSOP Courvoisier - $5.25

1 Smirnoff Vodka - $5.25

1 Vendange Chardonnay - 187 ml - $8

1 Vendange Cabernet - 187 ml - $8

1 split Henkell Champagne - $9.50

1 Red Bull - $3.75

1 Bloody Mix - $2.75

2 regular cokes - $1.95

2 diet cokes - $1.95

1 tonic water - $1.95

1 Club soda - $1.95

1 sprite - $1.95

1 Heineken - $5.25

1 Miller Sharps (non alcoholic) - $3.95

1 Miller Lite - $4.75

2 Perrier water - $2.95

2 one liter bottled water - $2.95

On our Maasdam Feb 2012 cruise there were not a lot of choices on the small bottles:

2 Bicardi light rums

1 Beefeater Gin

1 Red Label Johnny Walker

1 Jack Daniels

1 Courvoisier

Hello

I noticed that you have mentioned that you are looking at a suite guarantee.

What type of Suite are you thinking about?

I see that many people think you are looking at a Deluxe Suite -- SA, SB or SC. Is this what you are looking at as a guarantee?

If not -- people are only giving you the perks for the cabin categories I mentioned above.

Please come back and tell us what your plans are.

Thanks.

Archived