Carnival Security Is A Joke

brendrek

Just got back from Dream last week. There was an incident in our hallway that just proves that Carnival Security is joke. It was around 11pm one night when a very drunk/drugged man started screaming FUUUDDDGGGEEE YOOOUUUU!!!! , FUUUDDDGGGEEE YOOOUUUU!!!! , FUUUDDDGGGEEE YOOOUUUU!!!! only he didn't say fudge. That was followed by several loud bangs. By this point everyone who was sleeping in nearby cabins is now awake. Security was called and it turns out the man is fighting with his wife. She had brought him a pizza from the Lido which he threw at her down the hallway. She was terrified and was screaming that "he's never been like this before". Meanwhile he was continuing to be disruptive, cursing and throwing things. More secruity was called. He is now in the hallway and she has locked herself in the room.

More screaming by the man, " I JUST WANT TO SEE MY WIFE". Carnival security is telling the man to be quite or they will take him downstairs. That doesn't happen. The man yells at security that "MY WIFE JUST MADE FUDGE WITH SOME OTHER GUY, YOU HAVE A WIFE HOW WOULD YOU FEEL" I must admit all of this was very entertaining for us, but the cabin next to them had small children. I heard them tell security he has been screaming every night but never this bad. They pleaded for him to be taken away.

More security arrived, now there are six members of the security in our hallway. They are now threatening to disembark the couple in the morning, and take them both downstairs. He is yelling at them, "IF I DON'T SEE MY WIFE SOON I'M GOING TO FREAK OUT", security threatens him again and he tells them "I'M YOUR BEST FRIEND MAN, I'M NOT GOING TO HURT ANYONE".

This went on for hours, but the man was never taken away and the couple was not disembarked the following day. I put in a complaint to Carnival on our comment survey, but the moral of the story is if you want to get away with causing a rukus, take a Carnival Cruise.

Unfortunatley this is not the only time people have posted how security really doesn't do much.

Absolutely correct. I am going to have to add that to my list of "known" items.

1. Carnival customer service sucks. Check.

2. Do not expect any answer from #1 if you have a problem. Check.

3. Security is non existent. Do not even bother to call. Check.

As long as the prices stay low, I'm ok with 1-3. If prices go up. Not so much.

It's hard to armchair quarterback not knowing all of the details. Who know what was told to them and if there was some type of agreement that they would be put off the ship if there were any other calls.

This being said, it is alarming that they would allow him back into the cabin after acting like that - it is a recipe for a domestic violence incident or far worse. Pretty surprising that they didn't bring him 'downstairs' to separate them for the evening until he dried up.

So a person gets drunk one night and gets very vocal in the hallway,what should security do:confused: I know lets take him away,lock him up for the night and kick both him and his wife off the ship first thing in the morning.

Or lets calm this person down tonight,have a stern word with him when he is sober and keep an eye on him for the rest of the cruise.

The shouting stopped and you heard no more for the rest of the cruise so in my mind the security did their job right,just not to your satisfaction.

Who sold him that much the booze in the first place?

Den

So a person gets drunk one night and gets very vocal in the hallway,what should security do:confused: I know lets take him away,lock him up for the night and kick both him and his wife off the ship first thing in the morning.

Or lets calm this person down tonight,have a stern word with him when he is sober and keep an eye on him for the rest of the cruise.

The shouting stopped and you heard no more for the rest of the cruise so in my mind the security did their job right,just not to your satisfaction.

Who sold him that much the booze in the first place?

Den

Sorry if this seemed like a short event, it went on for hours. He threw a pizza at her and she was terrified to be left alone with him. Plus neighboring cabins said he had been acting up before this, but we never heard it until then. I think security should have done more.

We talked to our room steward the next day, he told us that wasn't delt with properly and confirmed that they were still on board.

???? Cabin staff have nothing to do with security so the opinion of the cabin steward is irrelevant.

Why would they "not" still be on board? the situation must have been taken care of or you would have been disturbed by this person more than once and after the original incident.

Den

UNFORTUNATELY, it is not just Carnival. Similar thing happened on Royal Caribbean last year. Never taken "down stairs" and were still on the ship when the ship docked for the last time.

I'm sorry that this happened to you all and that kids were next door having to hear all of this.

Just got back from Dream last week. There was an incident in our hallway that just proves that Carnival Security is joke. It was around 11pm one night when a very drunk/drugged man started screaming FUUUDDDGGGEEE YOOOUUUU!!!! , FUUUDDDGGGEEE YOOOUUUU!!!! , FUUUDDDGGGEEE YOOOUUUU!!!! only he didn't say fudge. That was followed by several loud bangs. By this point everyone who was sleeping in nearby cabins is now awake. Security was called and it turns out the man is fighting with his wife. She had brought him a pizza from the Lido which he threw at her down the hallway. She was terrified and was screaming that "he's never been like this before". Meanwhile he was continuing to be disruptive, cursing and throwing things. More secruity was called. He is now in the hallway and she has locked herself in the room.

More screaming by the man, " I JUST WANT TO SEE MY WIFE". Carnival security is telling the man to be quite or they will take him downstairs. That doesn't happen. The man yells at security that "MY WIFE JUST MADE FUDGE WITH SOME OTHER GUY, YOU HAVE A WIFE HOW WOULD YOU FEEL" I must admit all of this was very entertaining for us, but the cabin next to them had small children. I heard them tell security he has been screaming every night but never this bad. They pleaded for him to be taken away.

More security arrived, now there are six members of the security in our hallway. They are now threatening to disembark the couple in the morning, and take them both downstairs. He is yelling at them, "IF I DON'T SEE MY WIFE SOON I'M GOING TO FREAK OUT", security threatens him again and he tells them "I'M YOUR BEST FRIEND MAN, I'M NOT GOING TO HURT ANYONE".

This went on for hours, but the man was never taken away and the couple was not disembarked the following day. I put in a complaint to Carnival on our comment survey, but the moral of the story is if you want to get away with causing a rukus, take a Carnival Cruise.

What exactly is it that you expected Security to do? Shoot him in the head? Drag him away in irons? Tackle him to the ground and beat him to a pulp? Throw him overboard? :rolleyes:

It sounds to me they handled it the best they could have. If TPTB on the ship had concluded that he was a real threat to anyone I'm sure he would have been removed from the ship.

He sounds like just another rowdy drunk. Based on the number of threads about how much people drink, I'm surprised this isn't a daily occurrence!

Sorry if this seemed like a short event, it went on for hours. He threw a pizza at her and she was terrified to be left alone with him. Plus neighboring cabins said he had been acting up before this, but we never heard it until then. I think security should have done more.

I dont quite understand what more security could have done?

They obviously neutralized the situation which is a positive outcome,you dont know what was said to him or what warnings were given to him by security afterwards but it must have worked.

Den

We talked to our room steward the next day, he told us that wasn't delt with properly and confirmed that they were still on board.

If the steward told you that he needs to be fired for discussing other passengers with you.

What exactly is it that you expected Security to do? Shoot him in the head? Drag him away in irons? Tackle him to the ground and beat him to a pulp? Throw him overboard? :rolleyes:

It sounds to me they handled it the best they could have. If TPTB on the ship had concluded that he was a real threat to anyone I'm sure he would have been removed from the ship.

He sounds like just another rowdy drunk. Based on the number of threads about how much people drink, I'm surprised this isn't a daily occurrence!

Um, sorry. Throwing pizza at your spouse is not "just another rowdy drunk". This is a guy with a serious problem. My prayer will be that his wife can get away from him ASAP. This sort of thing always escalates. Always.

The last time I cruised Carnival was 1991 on the Holiday during the spring break season. I saw at least three arrests - handcuffed and all. Those kids had to stay in the Holiday jail for the rest of the cruise.

I am surprised they did not put him in protective custody until he sobered up.

He was disturbing the peace and should have been removed from the immediate premisis (held in the brig until he sobered up) and then his S&S card should have been flagged to not be sold anymore booze. That's what they do on land (except not brig but jail).

We saw the brig (jail cell) on the Carnival Splendor last November when we took the Behind the Fun tour. So they could have taken the unruly passenger there.

The best part is the brig was right next to the morgue! :D

He was disturbing the peace and should have been removed from the immediate premisis (held in the brig until he sobered up) and then his S&S card should have been flagged to not be sold anymore booze. That's what they do on land (except not brig but jail).

I've seen/heard this done on cruise ships as well.

He tossed a perfectly good pizza? Was it pepperoni or sausage? Bummer.

Security on a cruise ship is no different than any other position. One day, a person is bussing tables, the next day, he's a security guard. Security gets their people from the ranks, just like any other position onboard. And this comes straight from the Chief of Security on a Carnival ship. They show them how to operate a radio, give them a shirt that says "SECURITY" on the back, and turn them loose. What would you expect? Plus, like any other position onboard, security guards are taught that customer service comes first.

He tossed a perfectly good pizza? Was it pepperoni or sausage? Bummer.

Security on a cruise ship is no different than any other position. One day, a person is bussing tables, the next day, he's a security guard. Security gets their people from the ranks, just like any other position onboard. And this comes straight from the Chief of Security on a Carnival ship. They show them how to operate a radio, give them a shirt that says "SECURITY" on the back, and turn them loose. What would you expect? Plus, like any other position onboard, security guards are taught that customer service comes first.

Are you sure of this. I thought the security people were law enforcement types in a previous life.

It's hard to armchair quarterback not knowing all of the details. Who know what was told to them and if there was some type of agreement that they would be put off the ship if there were any other calls.

This being said, it is alarming that they would allow him back into the cabin after acting like that - it is a recipe for a domestic violence incident or far worse. Pretty surprising that they didn't bring him 'downstairs' to separate them for the evening until he dried up.

I agree with you totally, Cdamion. There is not enough space to discuss what COULD have happened by allowing him back in the cabin in that condition.

And however long it lasted, that "conversation" with the guest should not have taken place in the hallway. It would definitely save Carnival a lot of guest complaints.

I don't know if this makes me an optimist or a pessimist but on one hand, you didn't have any other problems with him that cruise, then security did their job. The wife was (I assume) alive and well and allowed him back in the room the remainder of the cruise...security did the best they could.

NO one can really judge what happened behind those closed doors. Maybe the head of security went and talked to them in the morning and handled things in a way that wasn't for every other passenger to see?

The fact that the wife got pizza thrown at her...I don't know if that guarantees an escalation like some people here are assuming. You really don't know the story...maybe he is allergic to peppers...wife goes to get pizza, get peppers on it. In exasperation husband sortof flips the slice of pizza in the air. Uncalled for? yes. Would an agry wife maybe say he threw a pizza at her? yes. Is that cause for people to talk about their abusive relationship? I don't think so. And yes, that is just one silly example...my point is, there are a million silly examples. how drunk was the wife? Did he walk in the stateroom, carrying a pizza and literally catch his wife in bed with someone else? Then yeah, I'd have thrown the pizza too.

Archived