Carnival Security Is A Joke

brendrek

Don't know about Jersey, but here in Florida throwing anything at and hitting another person with anything ( be it a pizza, baseball bat, or ping pong ball) is a criminal offense. Whether you injure them or not, it is still a battery.

Nobody said he actually hit her with it. Just that he threw it AT her. :rolleyes:

He doesn't have to actually be breaking any law. Carnival has a Code of Conduct that we all agree to when we book.

Carnival will not tolerate any behavior affecting the comfort, enjoyment, health, safety or well-being of other guests or our crew. We reserve the right to to refuse or discontinue passage to anyone who, in Carnival's judgment, is conducting themselves in a manner that adversely affects the cruise experience of others.

They tend to be pretty lenient, but in a situation like this, I think they should at least have taken him to a private area to cool off and dry out.

In many states, the aggressor would be taken in at least to sober up. They may not press charges, but the police don't want to come back out there when the situation escalates further.

I see that way to often. LE calls us out because someone got slapped around, they do nothing let them both stay there, then a few hours later I am back after someone is shot or stabbed.:mad:

Wow, thats unfortunate. I did not read all the other replies, but perhaps the man was possibly off his meds??? That's why they didn't do anything more than calm him down?? Or maybe he drank while on his meds??? Hard to say, sorry you had to be bothered by it though. My guess would be that it wasn't his first time ever behaving like that (cruise or not). Hopefully both he and his wife sought professional help after the cruise.

The key thing for me is that this incident was occuring in a common area. All it would have taken is for another drunk passenger to have been hit with a flying pizza or a good samaritan to have attempted to intervene, and we would have had ourselves a brawl. They should have arrived on scene and taken those involved in the fracas elsewhere.

My violent, alcoholic ex with a serious gambling problem is sailing on March 3rd. I don't know which ship he'll be on, but I fully expect that we'll hear some incident report on one of the boards that will involve him and his wife. Good luck to anyone in the cabins next to them. :rolleyes:

I see that way to often. LE calls us out because someone got slapped around, they do nothing let them both stay there, then a few hours later I am back after someone is shot or stabbed.:mad:

I saw that too back in the day and that was my first thought when I read this "if the security people had been cops they'd tell the guy to shut up and then the would have left".

If this had been on the Promenade, Lido deck or in the Lobby, I would agree that the situation was handled OK. The situation was eventually diffused and there were no further incidents.

However, in an area where people are in cabins, the person should have been removed. There is no reason to disturb people trying to sleep in their cabin for more than say 5 minutes.

He tossed a perfectly good pizza? Was it pepperoni or sausage? Bummer.

Security on a cruise ship is no different than any other position. One day, a person is bussing tables, the next day, he's a security guard. Security gets their people from the ranks, just like any other position onboard. And this comes straight from the Chief of Security on a Carnival ship. They show them how to operate a radio, give them a shirt that says "SECURITY" on the back, and turn them loose. What would you expect? Plus, like any other position onboard, security guards are taught that customer service comes first.

Really? Must be a Carnival shortcoming then. Other lines have been known to hire Gurkhas as security. They sure as heck don't rotate them through any other positions on the ship.

He was disturbing the peace and should have been removed from the immediate premisis (held in the brig until he sobered up) and then his S&S card should have been flagged to not be sold anymore booze. That's what they do on land (except not brig but jail).

Totally agree on this. Obviously the guy can't handle his liquor.

The responsibility should be on the drinker, not the bartender. Too much of our society wants to blame someone else for others stupid actions.

If the guy was getting rowdy or obnoxious while drinking, the bartender or bar service people should have cut him off, and alerted security to at least keep an eye on him. Since alcohol impairs a person's judgement, how can you realistically expect someone to act responsibly when they're drunk?

There is no excuse for someone acting like that and there is no excuse for Carnival passengers to be exposed to that.

Every town has a drunk tank specifically for this purpose and so does the cruise ship. BUT that would require a Security Guard to stay with him 24 hours, while he was in the brig and Carnival obviously did not want to go through the trouble.

He should have been put in the drunk tank until he sobered up...and his alcohol privileges revoked.

Amen!

I was on the Elation in Oct. There was a passenger that was causing a scene for whatever reason.Screaming, cursing, and threating security and the Capt. The passenger appeared to have been drinking. But I do not know this for a fact. I do know that I watched this incident taking place.They tried to reason and talk to this passenger. (this was a big guy)Everyone was watching what was going on. (this was hallway by CS) Security had to put this guy down on the ground and handcuffed him. When they took him off everyone cheered. So I can tell you the Elation has Security and the do their job.

I would say that is what I would expect.

The responsibility should be on the drinker, not the bartender. Too much of our society wants to blame someone else for others stupid actions.

I agree...and it may have been drugs not alcohol...or it may have been neither. maybe he has 'issues'...we just don't know.

Why/how he got like that isn't CCL's problem,...what they do about a rowdy passenger is their problem.

I think they handled this poorly.

another time, a group of very drunk cruisers were doing anything and everything around the pool area. very disruptive. eventually, a group of 20 made there way onto the pool wall, and started simulating very lewd acts, and yet security did nothing.

finally, one of the men threw this massage table, that you sit and put your face in, into the pool. his lady friend then got onto the chair, and then you can all try to imagine what they did next.

after about 5 minutes, the security guard made them stop. yes, 5 minutes.

carnival security? bwaa haa haa!

another time, a group of very drunk cruisers were doing anything and everything around the pool area. very disruptive. eventually, a group of 20 made there way onto the pool wall, and started simulating very lewd acts, and yet security did nothing.

finally, one of the men threw this massage table, that you sit and put your face in, into the pool. his lady friend then got onto the chair, and then you can all try to imagine what they did next.

after about 5 minutes, the security guard made them stop. yes, 5 minutes.

carnival security? bwaa haa haa!

:eek:

I must be fortunate....I have seen some stuff that made me roll my eyes, but never anything as dramatic as what other people wind up with on their sailings.

The abuse the Op witnessed would make me very upset though...I think the man should have been removed until he was sober.

CCL is lucky that the man didn't do his wife or anyone else any harm after they just let him go like that....

I'm not going to comment on this situation, but when we were on a Carnival Valor cruise 2 years ago, we had to call security because our 13 year old daughter was "missing" at 1 AM. We looked around the ship on our own and couldn't find her. My DH was freaking out and contacted security. Within minutes there were security guards all over the ship with her picture. The head security guard helped calm my DH down and they found her within about 10 minutes (yes, she had just lost track of time and was hanging out with other kids from the club). My DH was so appreciative of their quick response that he hugged the guy. My DD will never miss her curfew again, I am sure.

So, although they might not have acted wonderfully in this situation, I give them a big thumbs up for their help in our situation.

I'm not going to comment on this situation, but when we were on a Carnival Valor cruise 2 years ago, we had to call security because our 13 year old daughter was "missing" at 1 AM. We looked around the ship on our own and couldn't find her. My DH was freaking out and contacted security. Within minutes there were security guards all over the ship with her picture. The head security guard helped calm my DH down and they found her within about 10 minutes (yes, she had just lost track of time and was hanging out with other kids from the club). My DH was so appreciative of their quick response that he hugged the guy. My DD will never miss her curfew again, I am sure.

So, although they might not have acted wonderfully in this situation, I give them a big thumbs up for their help in our situation.

A missing person is VERY serious on a ship and taken very seriously. I am happy they responded as they should in the case of your daughter.

I would expect nothing less.

The ship should be able to disable his card from being used for alchol purchases. That would teach the *****. He wasn't from New Jersey was he?

You could also make up a number of signs stating "this is the obnouxious drunk who keeps waking us up" and attach them to his door and keep embarassing him. But if he's from Jersy you'll have to live with it because that is just they way they are.

Hope this helps.

Thank goodness your daughter didn't throw a slice of pizza at someone. The people on this thread would have her tarred and feathered and sent to rehab by now. :D

Archived