Another reason to leave your passport in your safe and to take ship sponsored tours

fortinweb

In today's CruiseCritic news is an article about twenty-two passengers on a Carnival sponsored tour who were robbed of their belongings on the way back to the ship. Because this was a ship sponsored tour, CCL is working with the victims to reimburse them for lost valuables and assist with lost passports or other forms of identification. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4755

Two things come to mind here: if something like this happens, being on a ship sponsored tour has it's benefits since the victims are getting help from CCL for lost items. Unfortunately, some people apparently had their passports with them and now will have to go through the hassle of getting them replaced. This is yet another reason to leave your passport in the safe of your stateroom. Keep only a copy with you while on shore - your passport is much safer left in your stateroom.

In today's CruiseCritic news is an article about twenty-two passengers on a Carnival sponsored tour who were robbed of their belongings on the way back to the ship. Because this was a ship sponsored tour, CCL is working with the victims to reimburse them for lost valuables and assist with lost passports or other forms of identification. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4755

Two things come to mind here: if something like this happens, being on a ship sponsored tour has it's benefits since the victims are getting help from CCL for lost items. Unfortunately, some people apparently had their passports with them and now will have to go through the hassle of getting them replaced. This is yet another reason to leave your passport in the safe of your stateroom. Keep only a copy with you while on shore - your passport is much safer left in your stateroom.

I always by travel insurance, so the Cruise line help replacing lost items would not be much of a benefit. Private tours are usually smaller groups, so less bounty for the robbers.

Unfortunately, travel insurance will not make up for the time it takes to replace a passport. A COPY of your passport should be taken ashore -- not your actual passport. Many cruise lines take your passports and hold them until you disembark. . . . these documents are much too valuable to walk around with. In some countries, criminals pays thousands of dollars for a U.S. passport (that they can change and enter the U.S. illegally).

So,,, going by this advice,,, I would guess that it would also be better and safer to only carry a copy of your drivers license with official picture, a copy of your credit card, a copy of your cash, all because something might get lost, misplaced, or stolen???

Maybe we should all also horribly over react to any situation.

While I certainly don't have as many cruises under my belt as many of you, out of the 20 cruises I have taken my passport has never seen the outside of my cabin safe. In port I take my drivers license, a credit card(800 number in the safe to call if stolen), and cash(not much). We rarely take ship excursions and usually hire our own cab. Documents are easily replaced and insurance will cover personal items. The only thing take I don't want to lose is my life and a ship excursion(as illustrated by this post) wouldn't help there. For this I count on common sense and alittle luck! A story like this one won't change the way I cruise.

Might be a good reason NOT to take a ship's tour

You are marked from the start as a group ripe for the pickings

this is not the 1st ship's tour to be mugged :rolleyes:

And people who just stroll on their own down the streets of any major city are also at risk of mugging. It can happen to tours, ship's or private, or just exploring on your own. Experienced thieves, muggers, and pickpockets can spot tourists from a mile away, regardless of if they are on a ship's tour or not. I would wager that most victims are on their own, and being on a tour affords a higher level of security.

We never take our passports ashore, I can't understand why anyone would want to.

The only possible reason is if somehow you 'miss the boat', and would then need your passport to fly on to the next port. That said, I still would not bring my passport off the ship, and I am extra careful to always get back on board in plenty of time.....

So,,, going by this advice,,, I would guess that it would also be better and safer to only carry a copy of your drivers license with official picture, a copy of your credit card, a copy of your cash, all because something might get lost, misplaced, or stolen???

Maybe we should all also horribly over react to any situation.

Agreed, some folk do over-react.

Like those who risk carrying their passport ashore in case they might miss the sailing.

JB ;)

The only possible reason is if somehow you 'miss the boat', and would then need your passport to fly on to the next port.

Now how would you know in advance that you were going to miss the ship and take your passport with you?

While I have no personal experience in this regard, I have read that if you miss the ship, before departure the crew will open your safe, remove your passport and leave it with the ship's agent.

A copy does not help if you have to fly. You will not be able to reenter the US with just a copy.

I guess I will find out, but I have military friends who feel that getting back on a ship at port is too easy, unlike flying international. I surely hope they are doing checks to thwart possible terrorist attacks aboard a ship. I feel everyone should be required to carry their passport on them getting back on ship.

Unfortunately, travel insurance will not make up for the time it takes to replace a passport. A COPY of your passport should be taken ashore -- not your actual passport. Many cruise lines take your passports and hold them until you disembark. . . . these documents are much too valuable to walk around with. In some countries, criminals pays thousands of dollars for a U.S. passport (that they can change and enter the U.S. illegally).

I supervise the passport agent on my military base here in Korea, he is a civilian, so I know a *little* about the rules. You are never suppose to leave your passport in the hands of someone else. Considering that many who work on ships are also TCN's I would never consider it. They are able to copy your info while they are holding them. I will carry my passport on me off ship.

Sheriaz, I agree. A copy isn't going to help with anything. If I'm going to loose my wallet/purse, whether the original or copy is in it, it is going to go missing.

I guess having reference to the numbers could help in replacing documents, not sure, but it would make more sense for that info to be at home with someone who could give you that info if needed. Putting info in iphone is useless too, because if I"ve lost my purse, i've likely lost my iphone too!

I have never heard of anyone accepting a photocopy of ID as an acceptable form of identification. Does anyone have a story that could enlighten me?

A copy does a couple of things. If you miss the ship and your cruise line does not leave your passport with the agent, the copy will help expedite issueing a new passport.

Also, I have used the copy as identification when converting US$ into a local currency at a bank.

This happened in Puerto Vallarta

"The incident comes at a rough time for the beleaguered Mexican Riviera cruise region, which has seen numerous lines pull out over safety and security concerns, as well as issues with demand. Lines have primarily cut calls in Mazatlan, which has seen its scheduled ship visits plummet from 200 in 2010 to roughly a dozen in 2012, but Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta have also suffered. " . . from CC News

I don't understand how a copy helps. I must be missing something.

a copy makes getting a new one much easier.

In an emergency the local embassy/consulate can endorse a copy for a limited time as an authorization to travel without a passport.

I have had a copy accepted as id(in Egypt) to enter the American University.

But probably most importantly my passport if I was robbed would still be in my control on the ship or hotel.

Even in duty free stores where the passport is sometimes required a copy has always been accepted(all they need is the number). BTW on cruise ships in the Caribbean or Mexico I think the number 1 reason they need to get replaced is people take them to the beach and wind up swimming with them-which invalidates them.

I have been on Ships where the passport was taken(around South America on Celebrity).

The point of all this is for you to have the original if something happens. The most likely thing to happen is to be robbed. Not have an accident not be arrested(where you might be better without the passport as you probably will never see it again and it happens very rarely)...

so exactly why do you carry it when you don't need to?

People being robbed happens a lot every where. Missing the ship does happen...so don't miss the ship.

I have read that having a copy of your passport expedites getting a new passport. Don't remember the time frame, so don't quote this, but maybe 2 days. We have used that copy of the passport page in many ports where they tell you to bring picture ID.

I work for a company with a lot of international travel. We are recommended not to carry our passport with us unless actually in transit (e.g., flying or crossing a border in some other way).

We are also advised to scan the id pages of the passport and have them available (either by some sort of cloud storage or email them to yourself if secure).

A new passport can be issued in a day when expedited by appropriate identification.

I supervise the passport agent on my military base here in Korea, he is a civilian, so I know a *little* about the rules. You are never suppose to leave your passport in the hands of someone else. Considering that many who work on ships are also TCN's I would never consider it. They are able to copy your info while they are holding them. I will carry my passport on me off ship.

You won't be going on cruises where cruise lines REQUIRE you to turn in your passport UNLESS you are willing to get up at every stop at 0 dark thirty and PERSONALLY meet the Immigration officer of various countries. And even then, you might not be able to do it because the cruise line doesn't want to take the chance of holding up an entire ship for someone who doesn't want to play by the cruise line rules.

Most contractors working in the Middle East are REQUIRED to have the overseeing agency, their company or overseeing command keep their passports. You will find very few contractors working in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Qatar or Bahrain with possession of their passports. Where are you going to secure your passport if you are in a tent or even in a Conex? Particularly if cleaning service is provided as part of your contract.

Why is this done??? Because IF they are stolen, they could rather easily be used to gain entry into the USA by those we don't want in the USA. And I bet there isn't a contractor working the Middle East that hasn't been offered quite a bit of money for their USA passport ($10-40,000 for USA passports belonging to dark haired males in Kuwait).

And TCN's??? These are NOT American ships so there are no TCN's (third country nationals for those not into military acronyms).

I regularly work in the Middle East on logistics consulting contracts. IF I stay on base, my passport is taken and secured. If I stay in a hotel (generally Kuwait and Bahrain), I have my choice of securing my passport on the base or being responsible for security myself. I choose the base every time if I have the opportunity. I REALLY don't like running around the Middle East with a USA passport in possession.

There is a much greater chance of having your passport ripped off or loosing it than missing the ship. The FIRST question when you try to replace one-did you make a police report??? (a lot of people are just too shaken up to even get the officers name, particularly when dealing in a foreign country where English is not the predominant language) Second question-did you sell your passport?? NOW you are under suspicion.

I would much prefer to explain that my passport is safely in the ship's cabin, hotel safe or with the port agent if I missed the ship or something happened where I actually needed my passport. This can easily be verified.

A copy does a couple of things. If you miss the ship and your cruise line does not leave your passport with the agent, the copy will help expedite issueing a new passport.

Also, I have used the copy as identification when converting US$ into a local currency at a bank.

I convert money overseas all the time, with no ID. What is the purpose of showing an ID? You had them US dollars, they hand you local currency.

Archived