RCI becoming too cheap, what Cruiseline to move up to?

gilboman

OP, have you checked out other areas here on Cruise Critic? Just head over to some of the premium lines areas and you'll get lot of information by reading threads there. I do that every so often just to see what I might be missing, but, always come back here.

I would look at Regent and Oceania. Now before you laugh me out of here, consider that both of those offer some promotions that include airfare, shore excursions, transfers and gratuities among other benefits.

I ran a cost of a similar RCI cruise this summer in the Med versus Regent and the cruise difference was only about $325 per person more than RCI.

Thanks for all the great replies!

I do like RCI still, but just not a fan of the family and the mass production type of cruising they have headed.

So sounds like Princess/Celebrity would be a good choice? I'm looking for something more upscale or less mass market, but it's hard to balance that with not wanting to be the kids on a cruise. FWIW I'm 30 and my partner is mid 20's.

What about staying with the Radiance or Vision class of ships, but going to non-Caribbean and longer itinerary? such as

quebec-saguenay-cornerbrook.gif or this ftlauderdale-cartagena-panamacanal.gif, or maybe this barcelona-cannes-santorini.gif

I find that as I get older, RCI is becoming too unrefined for me, with the megaships, they are just churning customers like the mcdonald drive-thru churning thru dollar menu items.

I started on RCI but find it's much too Denny's and a lot less refined. What other cruiseline would be a good choice to escape the Denny's of cruising and a bit more refined? Cavaet being I also don't want to be surrounded by old people and still want to have fun.

Celebrity?

Now that is one "Grand Slam" :)

I find that as I get older, RCI is becoming too unrefined for me, with the megaships, they are just churning customers like the mcdonald drive-thru churning thru dollar menu items.

I started on RCI but find it's much too Denny's and a lot less refined. What other cruiseline would be a good choice to escape the Denny's of cruising and a bit more refined? Cavaet being I also don't want to be surrounded by old people and still want to have fun.

Celebrity?

Surely , you are the only one that can answer this question. I believe that most on here enjoy the cruises they take. You are going to have to pay the fiddler and experiment a little. If refined is what you want then I am sure you already know the luxury cruise lines , but, hey they do cost much more. If money is not a problem try one of them. Some people just likd the cruising itself and all the activities are just cream.

I agree. While others wan't lower prices and to cut ammenities, I want exactly the opposite.

Back in the day, flying was something special. We dressed up and were pampered in flight with excellent service and there were no crying babies. Not to mention the Stewardess! Today flying is like riding a stinky, packed city bus with gum on the seat and one has to pay for a sandwich and suitcase. Why? Because people want low airfares and were willing to suffer for hours to get it. Not me.

I have the fear that cruise ships will fail this way as well if they choose to cater to the low fare cruiser. One nice thing about a cruise ship is that if offers a wide range of room prices. I don't care if they make inside staterooms cheaper and make my suite more expensive. But I do care if the food, entertainment, and overall atmosphere become cheaper.

I have found RCCL to be the best so far. I might be willing to move on to something better someday, but for now, RCCL as EARNED my business.

Well said, my sentiments exactly! Everyone is entitled to their choices, consistent to what each can afford.

Have sailed HAL multiple times and the demographic mix is definitely a crap shoot. The Carribean trips will probably bring out a more balanced mix especially during any school vacation period. We did Alaska in June and had a decent mix of ages. However we also did a ROme/Athens sailing in early October a few years ago and at age of about 55 we were definitely some of the youngest on board. I still call that cruise "The Cruise of the Ancient Mariners".

We found the entertainment to be on par with RCCL – maybe better. We also found that there were many activities on board with lots of poolside activities.

Celebrity closes the hot tubs at 9 pm. If you want that post dinner soak before bed you would have to have the early seating and a bathing suit under your dinner clothing :D But no towel check-out.

We are still planning on sailing Royal Caribbean cruises, some with just me and DH , some with the whole family and some with other couples we like to cruise with.

Not yet ready to enter God's Waiting Room, HAL and the like. We like some night life so that limits the more upscale lines.

If we go to a quieter night life I see us doing European River Cruises with friends (couples). We will provide our own night life and enjoy the scenic cruise and excursions which is what the European cruises are all about.

Still Loyal to Royal even though Royal is losing it's luster with it's cutbacks.

Celebrity?

Have you ever sailed Oasis/Allure......have you ever stayed in a suite....have you ever had concierge service and access to the concierge lounge.......have you ever dined exclusively at the specialties.....I suggest giving it a try before giving up on Royal.

Have you ever sailed Oasis/Allure......have you ever stayed in a suite....have you ever had concierge service and access to the concierge lounge.......have you ever dined exclusively at the specialties.....I suggest giving it a try before giving up on Royal.

Yes we have and notwthey allow children in the CL where before it used to be an adult only area.

LOL at I don't want to be surrounded by old people.Good luck on that, look around you, WE ARE EVERYWHERE. I would say sorry about that but I am not one bit sorry,love cruising with old or young.See you on the ships, be sure to say Hi, I am easy to recognize,white hair, a walker and a Bombay Sapphire martini in my hand.

LOL at I don't want to be surrounded by old people.Good luck on that, look around you, WE ARE EVERYWHERE. I would say sorry about that but I am not one bit sorry,love cruising with old or young.See you on the ships, be sure to say Hi, I am easy to recognize,white hair, a walker and a Bombay Sapphire martini in my hand.

Now here's a person who knows how to drink.

I have on Allure and it's exactly what I dislike about Royal and the general direction. I've done the specialties but not the concierge/suite on Royal, but I do like to walk around and not be confined as much to an adults area like smokers are to the smokers room.

For the price of a suite on Royal, maybe I could try a cruiseline that's not catering to the family and want them to bring the whole family from newborn to grandma and have a general the more the better attitude Royal has.

I don't particularly care for suites, since my cabin is not what I'm looking for but the population (passenger) I'm with and whom the Cruiseline is catering to. RCI seems to me is trying to become Jack of all trades and comprising all.

Well it's like when going to a lounge/club, it's about the crowd as well. I don't mind old people, but I'll admit I don't want to be surrounded by older types when I'm at Marquee in Las Vegas or Wet Republic or in Ibzia ;) But if I see you, I'll wave and ask if you want to do a 151 shot:D

I have on Allure and it's exactly what I dislike about Royal and the general direction. I've done the specialties but not the concierge/suite on Royal, but I do like to walk around and not be confined as much to an adults area like smokers are to the smokers room.

For the price of a suite on Royal, maybe I could try a cruiseline that's not catering to the family and want them to bring the whole family from newborn to grandma and have a general the more the better attitude Royal has.

I don't particularly care for suites, since my cabin is not what I'm looking for but the population (passenger) I'm with and whom the Cruiseline is catering to. RCI seems to me is trying to become Jack of all trades and comprising all.

Royal IS a family CL.....so if family isn't your thing than Royal is just not your CL. Sounds to me like you are more irritated about the family thing more than anything else.

Celebrity?

If you are Diamond on RCI you will carry over your C&A status to Elite on Celebrity. They are more refined than Royal and definitely have an atmosphere that is less Party oriented.

Archived