Cruise price dropped, Carnival won't give refund or OBC

Cruisin Suzy

The price of our cruise just dropped recently, and seeing as our group has 7 people (in 3 rooms) this is quite a dollar difference. We are booked through a TA (part of the problem according to CCL) and booked 10 months ago for our cruise in 2 weeks. We received a past-guest price which was cheaper than the early saver rate at the time. Carnival won't talk to me because we booked through a TA but basically said that yes, due to the original past-guest being cheaper than the early saver, it made sense to book as past-guests, but now that the rate has dropped below, a new CCL passenger that books today would pay less than us, who booked 10 months ago and have travelled before. Our TA got the same answer and has had no luck with this. Anyone else ever encountered this before and had any success getting OBC? I know we probably won't get a refund as final payment was made long ago. Thanks in advance!

After you make your final payment, it's yours. They won't give a refund or OBC, I had it happen to me 2 days after I made my final payment except the price dropped before I paid and they didn't tell me that. They said it's not their policy anymore to notify the customer, it's up to the customer to ask if there was a price drop. They have changed and I didn't like it but I should have asked. Believe me, I ranted and raved to no avail but I still had fun on the cruise anyway. I do ask now if the price has dropped though.

You booked Past Guest rates so therefore after final payment you are not eligible for the OBC. I always book Early Saver so that I can get the price protection but it comes with a high price, no cancellation, no name changes, etc.

Here is your answer.

You are past final payment and do not have ES, therefore, no OBC.

Question, OP. Did you NOT know that if not booked Early Saver, there are no price reduction benefits for you? The TA didn't know this?

Don't dwell on it, you apparently got a good rate to begin as well as the cabins you wanted.

Go and have a great cruise and remember to book ES next time (if you're expecting OBC)...

Early Saver is a gamble, you chose not to take it. At the time, past guest was better, but in the long run, Early Saver would have been. That isn't always the case- sometimes the rates don't go lower.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but it has nothing to do with using a TA.

OP, sorry you don't like it, but those are the rules. Otherwise anyone could expect compensation for a lower fare up until they sail.

I don't understand how a pass guest rate is cheaper than an ES rate on any given day. ES is always suppose to be less, and if it isn't you could book ES and ask for a price adjustment.

Question, OP. Did you NOT know that if not booked Early Saver, there are no price reduction benefits for you? The TA didn't know this?

Don't dwell on it, you apparently got a good rate to begin as well as the cabins you wanted.

Go and have a great cruise and remember to book ES next time (if you're expecting OBC)...

Ditto! Booking that far in advance would certainly compel me to book Early Saver.

Thank you for all the responses so far. Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that I don't like it (although of course would like OB credit more), but it just seems a bit strange that we didn't qualify as early saver because we got the past guest discount. I can understand booking to late for the early saver timeline of at least 5 months and not getting the early saver price savings, but that is not the case with us as we booked 10 months ago. Seems if Carnival wants to keep past guests, they should offer them that lower price in the beginning with the price drop protection (not chose between the lowest price of past guest and early saver). My relatives that booked after us and have never travelled before essentially are now paying less for their cruise!

Thank you for all the responses so far. Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that I don't like it (although of course would like OB credit more), but it just seems a bit strange that we didn't qualify as early saver because we got the past guest discount. I can understand booking to late for the early saver timeline of at least 5 months and not getting the early saver price savings, but that is not the case with us as we booked 10 months ago. Seems if Carnival wants to keep past guests, they should offer them that lower price in the beginning with the price drop protection (not chose between the lowest price of past guest and early saver). My relatives that booked after us and have never travelled before essentially are now paying less for their cruise!

Well, IMHO This is the TA's fault...not Carnival's fault at all. The TA knows (or at least should know)the rules and should have explained everything to you.

Unfortunately you're only option is possibly a room upgrade if that is something you would be interested in? This happened to me before and I didn't realize if you book ES then you can ask them to credit you the PG rate. Things you learn I guess...

Enjoy your cruise!

Unfortunately you're only option is possibly a room upgrade if that is something you would be interested in? This happened to me before and I didn't realize if you book ES then you can ask them to credit you the PG rate. Things you learn I guess...

Enjoy your cruise!

Can't....we already have OVs and there are no balconies on our ship, so I doubt they will upgrade all of us to 3 mini-suites!!!!

. I can understand booking to late for the early saver timeline of at least 5 months and not getting the early saver price savings, but that is not the case with us as we booked 10 months ago.

Early saver is a specific rate class, not just a timeline. (Though it is only available if you book early). It also comes with some downsides- you cannot make any changes to the reservations, no name changes, I believe the deposit is non-refundable.

With past guest, you didn't have these restrictions. If tomorrow you find out you can't go, your travel companion could pay a small fee to change the name, and bring a friend instead. With ES, you'd be out your fare entirely.

The price of our cruise just dropped recently, and seeing as our group has 7 people (in 3 rooms) this is quite a dollar difference. We are booked through a TA (part of the problem according to CCL) and booked 10 months ago for our cruise in 2 weeks. We received a past-guest price which was cheaper than the early saver rate at the time. Carnival won't talk to me because we booked through a TA but basically said that yes, due to the original past-guest being cheaper than the early saver, it made sense to book as past-guests, but now that the rate has dropped below, a new CCL passenger that books today would pay less than us, who booked 10 months ago and have travelled before. Our TA got the same answer and has had no luck with this. Anyone else ever encountered this before and had any success getting OBC? I know we probably won't get a refund as final payment was made long ago. Thanks in advance!

I am sure they agreed with the flawed logic ... what else would they say now that its too late.

If your TA was any good or you knew how ES worked, you could have booked ES .. then immediately applied for the lower past guest rate price match.

Thats why using a bad TA is just not a good plan. Any TA worth anything should have given you the advise to took ES and then price match, so obviously they didnt care, or not very good, or dont know Carnival well.

Try and find a higher category to upgrade to (I hear ya, none now, but keep looking) .. next time live and learn. If you are willing to live with the ES rules .. book it next time and be more in control or book direct with someone better who can explain your CHOICES to get that same rate you booked at.

PS the fact your TA had to call and find out the rules also makes me suspect she aint so great. She should have known the rules and booked you ES if you wanted and KNOWN only ES gives price drops after final payment .. without calling, duh on your TA for having to call.

We had the same thing happen and the only offer was a cabin upgrade. At the time of the first price drop only 1 cabin was eligible and we (3 cabins) wanted to be on the same deck. The prices for other cabins dropped soon after and I asked my TA for and got an upsell to a suite for my cabin, since I had made all the arrangements for all 3 cabins. They considered all the price drops, and the price was well worth it

Can't....we already have OVs and there are no balconies on our ship, so I doubt they will upgrade all of us to 3 mini-suites!!!!

Do you know what OV category you have? Although OV's are all basically identical, you may be able to "ugprade" to a higher OV category in a more desirable location on the ship.

That was our case when we sailed on the Fascination last. We had booked an OV on the Riviera deck all the way in the back. There was a price reduction close to departure that we didn't qualify for since we didn't book under the ES rate, so we upgraded to the Empress deck, closer to the main atrium. :)

It looks like you are sailing in about 3 weeks. At this stage you are not entitled to a price reduction, though you could get a cabin upgrade is you wanted to do that.

Interesting because booking that far in advance would keep me from ES because too often things change.

me too!!! I learned my lesson the hard way that things change you dont expect.

I would book any other rate that was cheapest, and then closer change to ES.

It is really too bad your TA did you a disservice!

1) If you booked a long time ago - I have never seen Past Guest less than Early saver. Because you can book ES and then submit the request immediately for the PG rate reduction and STILL be ES.

2) Your TA should have told you when they booked you that it was non-negoiable. (Airfare flucuates and they don't adjust your fare)

3) I think TAs don't book ES on purpose. I'm not saying yours lied to you. But because they had to do the extra work and don't get any money for it - I think they don't like ES.

Next time book directly with Carnival. Or come up with a viable cancelation reason - file insurance and then rebook :rolleyes:

It is really too bad your TA did you a disservice!

1) If you booked a long time ago - I have never seen Past Guest less than Early saver. Because you can book ES and then submit the request immediately for the PG rate reduction and STILL be ES.

2) Your TA should have told you when they booked you that it was non-negoiable. (Airfare flucuates and they don't adjust your fare)

3) I think TAs don't book ES on purpose. I'm not saying yours lied to you. But because they had to do the extra work and don't get any money for it - I think they don't like ES.

Next time book directly with Carnival. Or come up with a viable cancelation reason - file insurance and then rebook :rolleyes:

I haven't experienced this. Since ES came out my TA's always suggest and book that rate for me.

Archived