Queen Mary at Circular Quay 7th/8th March

Great photos Kevin. You seem to have a better quality camera than my little casio.By the way, on the way in on the rivercat I spotted the "Black Watch" ex Royal Viking Star, at Barangaroo. What a beautiful style of a ship she still is.Shame my camera doesnt zoom too good and the ferry didnt go into darling harbour.

Fantastic pics everyone...what beautiful lines she has...looks fast standing still..lovely. But the class thing would get up my nose too...so perhaps I will just admire her from afar.

Sue

Nothing to do with "class" - just how much you are prepared to pay for your cabin. Are there any hotels in Sydney that do not offer differing standards of accommodation? And do those differing standards of accommodation include differing facilities?

:)

Barry

Great photos, thanks to all who posted them. A beaut looking ship.

We just watched the evening news and they said there is only 60 centimetres of water underneath her while she is berthed at OPT.

Hope the passengers don't jump up and down too much tonight or she might hit bottom:D

Nothing to do with "class" - just how much you are prepared to pay for your cabin. Are there any hotels in Sydney that do not offer differing standards of accommodation? And do those differing standards of accommodation include differing facilities?

Barry

True Barry but within the hotel all the public areas such as bars and restaurants are available to everyone irrespective of what they paid...just me I guess I have a thing about it :) cultural cringe?? who knows...just seems a bit weird... to me anyway. Would I travel on her if I won a ticket..in a heartbeat...I'd get over it..I admit it..cruise junkie me.

The nonsense that goes on about people feeling superior if they have a balcony or thinking travelling in an inside says something about you or your social status or having 5000 postings of mostly gumpf is enough rubbish for me without complicating it further... I am a simple girl..LOL

Fantastic photos! I'd like to travel on her but reading about the whole formal thing at dinner, even on smart casual night....I'd need to take out an overdraft to buy that amount of superduper dress up clothes :eek:

We just watched the evening news and they said there is only 60 centimetres of water underneath her while she is berthed at OPT.

Hope the passengers don't jump up and down too much tonight or she might hit bottom:D

WOW WOW WOW, that's amazing

QM2 has a draught of 33 feet or in metric around 10 metres. Ships like Sun Princess, Arcadia etc have a draught of 26-27 feet. So QM2 sits down in the water another 6 or 7 feet than most other cruises ships in the Sun or Vista Class.

To me she looks no higher above the waterline than the Grand Class ships, Ruby,Crown, Azura, Diamond etc. The Grand Class seem a bit top heavy too me and I have sailed on a few of them. But QM2 is a true ocean liner, built for the Atlantic!

But yes, 60 cm is not a lot of water.

QM2 has a draught of 33 feet or in metric around 10 metres. Ships like Sun Princess, Arcadia etc have a draught of 26-27 feet. So QM2 sits down in the water another 6 or 7 feet than most other cruises ships in the Sun or Vista Class.

To me she looks no higher above the waterline than the Grand Class ships, Ruby,Crown, Azura, Diamond etc. The Grand Class seem a bit top heavy too me and I have sailed on a few of them. But QM2 is a true ocean liner, built for the Atlantic!

But yes, 60 cm is not a lot of water.

According to Wikipedia the old SS France had a draught of 10.8 mtrs. Or a bit over 35 ft. Now that's close, I dare say the berth might have silted up in the past few years. Yes I did go and see the France when she came in 1974.

I went to see her yesterday, met some people that were doing the round trip from New York about 100 days they pointed out their balcony cabin, I asked them how they stayed so slim and they said that they did heaps of walking, imagine being at see for 100 days...no thanks I have enough trouble losing weight from a cruise of 14 days.

I have been thinking of a cruise on her in 2014, going on Solstice next year in April so may have to dream for a few years yet. Class system doesn't bother me, if I paid that much I would expect a private area and restaurant if I so desired it. Many thanks to those who posted pics they were fantastic.

Louise

All I can say to this is that "I knew it could dock there" and "told you so"!!! With a bit of luck they will keep docking it there and next time I can photograph it myself if I am not away on a cruise. Now that is where the QM2 should be docking in the worlds greatest harbour ports.

Archived