To me this was the height of rudness...last observation and reflection

picklebongo

You were annoyed at being distracted from a show you called "the worst I've ever seen on a cruise"? Seriously? :rolleyes:

An oxymoron...if I've ever seen one!

No, I wouldn't leave during the show for 2 reasons:

1. It's rude to the performers...and depressing

2. It's dangerous to the performers who are using the aisles

In a movie...where the actors are on the screen and no one is in the aisle I'd leave

Yes, I was, because good manners still dictated that the performers deserved the respect of an audience. I wasn't sitting up front either, but the young women I took on the cruise loved the show because they had no point of reference. Nor did I share my feelings with them, why try and steal their enjoyment, but they did ask where everybody was going.

And audiences deserve to have entertainment that is decent. And are not required to accept whatever is put in front of them. I sat through 20 minutes of a show on Princess that was so bad I wanted to boo. I didn't but I did leave.

FYI: My DH and I enjoy the shows but I have walked out before ... for several reasons. Only one time because it was so bad! Most other times it is due to my Restless Legs condition. I will be fine and then it will hit and I have to get up and leave. Otherwise, I will disturb the ones around me. Now could I sit in the back? Sure... however, why should I? I never know if it will be a problem and my eyesight isn't the greatest either. My point? People leave the shows for different reasons. Unless they make a huge scene when they leave (or noise), it doesn't bother me. I put myself in their shoes and don't judge.

FYI: My DH and I enjoy the shows but I have walked out before ... for several reasons. Only one time because it was so bad! Most other times it is due to my Restless Legs condition. I will be fine and then it will hit and I have to get up and leave. Otherwise, I will disturb the ones around me. Now could I sit in the back? Sure... however, why should I? I never know if it will be a problem and my eyesight isn't the greatest either. My point? People leave the shows for different reasons. Unless they make a huge scene when they leave (or noise), it doesn't bother me. I put myself in their shoes and don't judge.

I guess if I had a medical condition that might require me to leave during a show, I'd sit near the back. If I had a vision problem I'd sit near the front, but I wouldn't leave during the show because it wasn't top notch. Forty minutes is something that we can all endure given it's a 7 day cruise and this was the second show of the cruise.

Pickle- unfortunately I think you are losing this battle. However, I happen to agree with you. I was always taught that it was rude to leave during a live performance. If you leave during an intermission that would be okay.

While there are some shows that are better than others, I have found them mostly entertaining.

Just a question for some of you, do you talk during a performance, do you leave if you are at your child's show (we all know they can be really bad)?

You may not like the show, but you should appreciate and respect the entertainers for trying to provide you with entertainment. Comment cards at the end of the cruise can provide negative feedback. jmo

I agree with you pickle. I was taught that leaving during a performance was rude. But it seems that in this day and age of the "me" society manners are no longer used for the most part. Sad state of affairs but there you have it. It would appear that most people posting dont think it is rude because they don't know what proper manners are and therefore don't even know that it is rude.

I agree with you pickle. I was taught that leaving during a performance was rude. But it seems that in this day and age of the "me" society manners are no longer used for the most part. Sad state of affairs but there you have it. It would appear that most people posting dont think it is rude because they don't know what proper manners are and therefore don't even know that it is rude.

Pardon me but I am hardly a part of the me generation. And I do know what proper manners are. But if a show is that bad it deserves to be walked out on. I would not do this lightly. But neither would I allow myself to be imprisoned if it fact it is that bad. I will admit to generally taking seats upstairs and near an exit since I do not have a very high tolerance for poor productions and position my self so that I do not feel constrained to stay. I quietly slip out unnoticed.

As a musician and music teacher, I always teach my students the importance of being a good audience. If you must leave a show, at least try to do it during the least obtrusive time if you can. Maybe when they are doing a quick scenery change, etc. if at all possible.

If a show sucks, I'm leaving. No matter where I'm sitting.

Agree! If I'm not enjoying the performance I'm going to roll out and I have. I paid for MY vacation and should have a choice in what I do/see.

Pardon me but I am hardly a part of the me generation. And I do know what proper manners are. But if a show is that bad it deserves to be walked out on. I would not do this lightly. But neither would I allow myself to be imprisoned if it fact it is that bad. I will admit to generally taking seats upstairs and near an exit since I do not have a very high tolerance for poor productions and position my self so that I do not feel constrained to stay. I quietly slip out unnoticed.
ITA. The only thing I would consider rude about leaving would be if I were in the middle of an aisle and had to crawl over other patrons to get out. The feelings of paid performers are NOT my concern. And if the front rows were indeed "emptying out", the show in question must have been truly hideous.

I almost had to leave a comedy show because I was feeling so ill. Once I sat down and the lights dimmed.. whoa.. I could really feel the ship rock and I already had a headache. If I am feeling that sick it's more considerate for my husband and I to leave than to stay and give my own performance ;) :hurl:

I almost had to leave a comedy show because I was feeling so ill. Once I sat down and the lights dimmed.. whoa.. I could really feel the ship rock and I already had a headache. If I am feeling that sick it's more considerate for my husband and I to leave than to stay and give my own performance ;) :hurl:
A real lady learns to vomit quietly into her handbag.

for the folks who take life waaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously, the above was meant to be taken in jest :p

I have been lucky so far. I haven't gone to any that were bad. (Maybe I am easy to please. ) Not Circus de Soleil, but certainly entertaining!

I guess that if I saw a row or two in front head out, I'd think row 3 was lucky to have no one in front of them.:D

I do get your point. I teach school and each year we have 2 days of Grandparents/Special Friends Day. When my own children went to school there, everyone stayed for the entire program. A few years ago, grandparents started leaving after their children finished "their part."

My mom (in her 80s) always comes to watch and always wants to know just what was so important at 9:30am that those "old folks" had to get up while others were singing/performing and leave. LOL!

I am with the rest - I have never left a show before and would have no intention or inclination to do so ahead of time but if it that bad I will leave with apologizes to no one, except those I have to go in front of. If you can tell me how I can know ahead of time that it is going to be bad please let me know your magic solution. If we follow your advice there would be no one in the first 10 rows - I am not and will not stay to be polite.

Archived