Please be descriptive in your thread titles!!

edmusic

One thing that bugs me are thread titles which don't really indicate what the thread is about. These one or two word titles happen so often that I don't even bother to look at them (I would love to but I only have so much time in the day!). Titles such as: 'Dining' or 'Lido' or 'Westerdam' or 'Parking' or 'Balcony' just do not entice me to open them up and I'm sure I miss out on information I might just need or have info that could help someone out. Anyone agree with me or am I just making a big to do about nothing?

One thing that bugs me are thread titles which don't really indicate what the thread is about. These one or two word titles happen so often that I don't even bother to look at them (I would love to but I only have so much time in the day!). Titles such as: 'Dining' or 'Lido' or 'Westerdam' or 'Parking' or 'Balcony' just do not entice me to open them up and I'm sure I miss out on information I might just need or have info that could help someone out. Anyone agree with me or am I just making a big to do about nothing?

Or my favorites: "Question" or when the subject is the poster's id. :)

One thing that helps is if you hover your cursor over the thread title, you will see the first line of the thread. Have you tried that?

You learn something new everyday! :D But I must say it doesn't seem to help all that much with a few current threads I tested.

Cruising-along wrote:

One thing that helps is if you hover your cursor over the thread title, you will see the first line of the thread. Have you tried that?

Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!

I just hover my cursor over the title to get a preview of the post. Tells me if I want to proceed or not.

.... Anyone agree with me or am I just making a big to do about nothing?

I dont think you are making a big do. Just making a case for better thread titles.

I too hate seeing vague titles. I also dont like 8 exclamations or question marks..... it does not help me get the gist of the thread any quicker. (eg Food??????!!!!!!) The exclamations imply its urgent? Questions marks for confused? I dont get it.

The hover feature is nice, but doesnt help if the poster doesnt get down to the details.

I still think people should post, even if the title isnt the best - I just think you would get more reads/responses if you let the reader know what you want upfront.

Its not the end of the world, but ideally I would like concise, informative titles.

Even though some of those do bother me, I simply mouse over the title and the first line is shown, which usually gives me an idea of whether or not I want to read the post.

What about the inane questions that nobody can truly answer.

"How's The Weather On A Transatlantic?"

There is no answer but eighty four people post.

Post A- We sailed last year and had 40 foot seas

Post B- We sailed last year and it was smooth as glass.

and on and on and on it goes

Your examples are much better than some. These don't give a clue:

"I have a question"

"HAL cruise"

"Just thinking"

"Help"

"How long?"

"Talk about luck..."

"Question #1111111"

"Lame"

"Is this possible?"

Unfortunately, such threads get more views, people click just to see what the thread is about. If you want to defeat the cursor hovering trip, have an unhelpful first sentence. "I have a question that I don't remember seeing an answer to here on CC."

I agree with the OP. My theory, for what it's worth, is that people who are still in, or recently retired from, the corporate work place know enough to put useful thread titles.

The reasoning is that email is so key in corporate communications, most companies even have training on how to make your email effective, since everyone is so busy.

There are rules and guidelines on the use of the Subject line, and once you have that habit, you carry it to thread titles.

wow. makes me not want to post anymore in fear of "bugging" someone because I don't post right. I have to say CC has been very useful, but I've been surprised by the amount of snide and catty interactions I've observed here. I've never seen quite so much of it on other boards. Some of the threads make me feel like back in high school with the mean girls (and guys). :rolleyes:

NoobCruise wrote:

wow. makes me not want to post anymore in fear of "bugging" someone because I don't post right. I have to say CC has been very useful, but I've been surprised by the amount of snide and catty interactions I've observed here. I've never seen quite so much of it on other boards. Some of the threads make me feel like back in high school with the mean girls (and guys).
These vague thread posts don't 'bug' me; I'm just trying to offer some constructive criticism to make the CC boards more pertinent and relevant to all. Like I said, I just don't have enough time in the day to click on every thread title that may or may not be meaningful to me. I hope you're not referring to me with the 'snide and catty' remark, as you can see I am not that at all if you read my posts. I will agree with you, however, that there is more of that type of interaction on the HAL boards than on most others although the vast majority of HAL posters are very nice, helpful, and informed and wish nothing but the best for all cruisers everywhere.

wow. makes me not want to post anymore in fear of "bugging" someone because I don't post right. I have to say CC has been very useful, but I've been surprised by the amount of snide and catty interactions I've observed here. I've never seen quite so much of it on other boards. Some of the threads make me feel like back in high school with the mean girls (and guys). :rolleyes:[/quote

The Law of Averages says that you will annoy somebody...either by accident or by design, eventually.

I've been flamed a few times....and I actually enjoy the warmth. :D

Keep posting. The more, the merrier.

One thing that bugs me are thread titles which don't really indicate what the thread is about.

lol actually "bug" was your word, not mine ;) Don't worry, I was not referring to you or this thread. I agree some titles could be more descriptive, though I very well may be guilty of vague titles. I admit, I don't put a lot of thought into them. I'm usually focused on trying to put my question together without writing a book with too many details.

The catty comments have been in other threads around multiple boards. I've seen one calling others "trailer trash" and others "snob". I saw one post where someone said someone elses formal dress was ugly. And several threads have degraded pretty quickly if someone posts that they had a negative experience on someone elses favorite line or ship. I think it tends to be specific individuals. Overall, the forum is very friendly and helpful. I guess there are always a few bad apples in every bunch lol

wow. makes me not want to post anymore in fear of "bugging" someone because I don't post right. I have to say CC has been very useful, but I've been surprised by the amount of snide and catty interactions I've observed here. I've never seen quite so much of it on other boards. Some of the threads make me feel like back in high school with the mean girls (and guys). :rolleyes:

I find this to be a kinder, gentler forum most of the time. Even here on Cruise Critic, people can be harsh. HAL posters tend to actually answer your questions instead of yelling at you to use the search feature. There are two different Disney-related boards I read frequently, and they are just downright rude to people! There are one or two posters here who would fit right in over there. I suggest using the 'ignore' feature on them. ;)

Robin

Archived