Please be descriptive in your thread titles!!

edmusic

Seems to me that if the objective here is communicate, being coy, cute or vague about thread titles does not advance that objective.

However, there's plenty to read and enjoy here even if one just skips over the quirky ones....which some of us do.

I have to say CC has been very useful, but I've been surprised by the amount of snide and catty interactions I've observed here.

Wow. Not all suggestions are snide and catty. :rolleyes:

I've never seen quite so much of it on other boards. Some of the threads make me feel like back in high school with the mean girls (and guys). :rolleyes:

On the other hand I think HAL boards are quite civil; if you want to see snide and catty stroll over to the Cunard board. :D

If you want to defeat the cursor hovering trip, have an unhelpful first sentence. "I have a question that I don't remember seeing an answer to here on CC."

Then there is the first line that goes "I have searched but did not find anything..." and when I do a search for that I usually find a lot of posts/threads :)

Wow. Not all suggestions are snide and catty. :rolleyes:

No, but what I'm referring to weren't suggestions, like telling someone the dress they wore on formal night was ugly (pic posted AFTER the cruise, not asking advice pre). There was no advice or suggestion in the comment. It was just mean and unnecessary.

On the other hand I think HAL boards are quite civil; if you want to see snide and catty stroll over to the Cunard board. :D

lol I don't think I want to stroll over there. I meant CC in general compared to other forums I've visited on the internet. I didn't mean the HAL board specifically, although the threads regarding dressing up for formal night can get pretty bad lol some people feel very strongly about attire lol

Please don't take me wrong! I'm addicted to CC now. It was just an observation.

One thing that bugs me are thread titles which don't really indicate what the thread is about. These one or two word titles happen so often that I don't even bother to look at them (I would love to but I only have so much time in the day!). Titles such as: 'Dining' or 'Lido' or 'Westerdam' or 'Parking' or 'Balcony' just do not entice me to open them up and I'm sure I miss out on information I might just need or have info that could help someone out. Anyone agree with me or am I just making a big to do about nothing?

I absolutely agree. Somebody has one entitled "Australia". Also, the hover thing is only as good as the first line. Sometimes that's nothing but impertinent nonsense too.

Another thing I would like to see on the list of threads is the date of the original post.

We can see who the original poster was, the latest poster and the date of the latest post. I often start reading a thread before realising it is actually several years old and has just been revived.

I have made this point on the CC thread on suggested improvements but I don't know if it is even possible within the current software.

I often start reading a thread before realising it is actually several years old and has just been revived.
You just have to make a habit of looking at post #1 before looking at the last posted. Would that be much harder than remembering to first look at the thread start date on the "index" page?:)

Another thing I would like to see on the list of threads is the date of the original post.

You just have to make a habit of looking at post #1 before looking at the last posted.

I do make it a habit to check the original post date, as I don't care to answer new posts to resurrected threads.

But sometimes I forget. If the date of the original post were right there by the original posted name, it should be easy to spot, and could be considered "the first line of defense".

I do make it a habit to check the original post date, as I don't care to answer new posts to resurrected threads.

Yet new people are repeatedly told to use the search function which may bring up theses old threads. Being new they might not notice the date of the thread or they may want to ask for additional up to date information. If nobody answers these questions the new people start a new thread. They are then told to use search. Vicious cycle..... ;)

Your examples are much better than some. These don't give a clue:

"I have a question"

"HAL cruise"

"Just thinking"

"Help"

"How long?"

"Talk about luck..."

"Question #1111111"

"Lame"

"Is this possible?"

Unfortunately, such threads get more views, people click just to see what the thread is about. If you want to defeat the cursor hovering trip, have an unhelpful first sentence. "I have a question that I don't remember seeing an answer to here on CC."

And to make it easier for folks, use one of the icons (? for example)that are provided to start the thread.

I agree...it's very annoying to have a thread title that is not explicit.

I've been flamed a few times....and I actually enjoy the warmth. :D

[/b]

I am going to steal your line for another message board where it seems flaming is the name of the game. :)

As to the OP, I'm a bit of a newbie to cruising & have learned so much from CC. Agree that the hover feature, and search, are your friends. But if I had a dollar for every thread titled 'Newbie Question'...well, I could afford to go on a lot more cruises! :cool:

Yet new people are repeatedly told to use the search function which may bring up theses old threads. Being new they might not notice the date of the thread or they may want to ask for additional up to date information. If nobody answers these questions the new people start a new thread. They are then told to use search. Vicious cycle..... ;)

People can read old threads without posting to them. If they feel a need to post, they can start a new thread to the effect "I read some old threads on this, but didn't see the answer to this question ...".

That has the advantage of focusing on the new question. I have also seen many, many resurrected threads with a new question, yet the following answers address the original post, as those posters don't notice the old date either.

Oh, and just an FYI, I'm not one to tell people to do a search. I enjoy the conversation, and getting to know the new people.

Archived