Australian Slang

Don't know if these are local sayings, but I remember my Aussie-born g'mother admonishing us....................

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs. (Don't try to tell people what they already know.)

If the cap fits, wear it.

Shheesh mate, what's up with you, is it my turn for your treatment.

I will type this very slowly so you can understand.......... the slang words I provided were the EXACTLY the same as your "corrections" only I didn't include the adjectives "bloody and real" in one definition and an example of the way this word is used in the other.

So no, you are incorrect, I didn't "make them up" as you suggested.

So what is your problem?

I was wondering why he quoted your post and then said the same thing:confused:. Got to get those post counts up somehow:p

Hoon : a real hooligan of a person

Give it a break! : discontinue, cease, quit. E.g. "ya' been talking for talkin for half an hour, give it a break will ya'"

Gobful, give a : to abuse somebody, in most cases justifiably ("The neighbours were having a wild party so I went and gave em' a gobful")

Correct me if i'm wrong but for as long as i have lived in Australia slang for sausages has been "snags" ... bangers is U.K slang

You are right, Shiona. My DH comes from England and it always has been "bangers - accompanied by mash" there. And it has always been "snags" here.

Correct me if i'm wrong but for as long as i have lived in Australia slang for sausages has been "snags" ... bangers is U.K slang
yes both are correct and it relates to what part of Australia you live or grew up in Australia and there are few British slang words that are used in Australia slang as most of Australian slang was started by the early settlers who were mainly British,.

You beat me to it Shiona. Definately UK slang:).

But hey...............I don't give a rat's arse :)

Galah : a fool, a loudmouthed idiot; someone easily duped stupid or silly person. Originally named after the bird of the same name because of its antics and the type of noise it makes.

You beat me to it Shiona. Definately UK slang:).

But hey...............I don't give a rat's arse :)

I don't give a rat's arse comes from Pine City Mn

I don't give a rat's arse comes from Pine City Mn

Firstly, I was merely saying I couldn't care less. Secondly, Wiki is not gospel you know???Anyone can write anything on Wiki. Thirdly, do you even know what Mn means????????????And don't "google" or "wiki" it to tell me because I know.....just wondering if you do seeing as you quoted it direct from Wiki.

Firstly, I was merely saying I couldn't care less. Secondly, Wiki is not gospel you know???Anyone can write anything on Wiki. Thirdly, do you even know what Mn means????????????And don't "google" or "wiki" it to tell me because I know.....just wondering if you do seeing as you quoted it direct from Wiki.
the info had nothing to do with wiki

and Mn = Minnesota

Archived