Australian Slang

King pin : leading figure, considered a big shot

Kiss my a--e : exclamation of disbelief

Larrikin : lout, harmless prankster, a bloke who is always enjoying himself

I've always heard of it as such, too. Here's a copy and paste from me: :D

"But in Australia, it can be a term of endearment. It depends on the context, and your tone of voice. If someone dresses like a loser, you could call him a dag.

BUT - if someone says something funny, you can turn around and laugh and say 'you're a dag' - but in that context you mean 'you're a card', a character, a wag, etc."

I much prefer it as a nice saying. :)

When I was young I think a dag was an uncool person, a nerd or someone who dressed unfashionably.

I never got the friendly meaning as I belieive the saying originated from the name called to the filthy, matted, soiled fleece around a sheep's butt:eek: That never seemed very friendly to me.:)

Originally Posted by thied

yet again there is no HE or SHE in the sayin of "not within a Cooee" but there it an ITS

For crap sake what a nit picking ninny :p:rolleyes:

LOL, The ignore button comes in handy. Happens a lot. :)

Hi Kerry

I haven't heard hooroo since i left Melbourne some 30 yrs past... many thanks to Thied for answering for me but he obviously has never heard or used it....just copy and pasted......

...actual meaning when i was a much younger girl:p was: male or female who is VERY VERY highly rated in the bedroom department.... :o:o:D

could you please give a link to where this is written?

actual meaning when i was a much younger girl:p was: male or female who is VERY VERY highly rated in the bedroom department = hooroo.

When were you a much younger girl, Thied?
:rolleyes:

With 56 posts to this thread I think we must congratulate Thied on what must be a "World Record for the greatest number of posts to a Thread with over 100 posts".

This represents 34% of posts which is a great achievement for someone to whom much of the content applies. Hang on stone the crow's cobber I must be as big a drongo for counting them.

with 56 posts to this thread i think we must congratulate thied on what must be a "world record for the greatest number of posts to a thread with over 100 posts".

This represents 34% of posts which is a great achievement for someone to whom much of the content applies. Hang on stone the crow's cobber i must be as big a drongo for counting them.

pmsl:d

any one know what Wombat in Australian slang means lol

There are two meaning

One is a silly person or idiot as in the saying your a Wombat or dont be a Wombat

You havn't cut and pasted this one very well, or your source is letting you down.

Someone was always refered to as a wombat when all they did was "eats roots and leaves"

drongo. Slow-witted or stupid person.

ear basher. Someone who talks too much

wacka = fool, drongo, idiot.

half your luck! = an expression indicating that you feel the other person is very fortunate.

Bag of fruit

Meaning: man's suit

Don't get your knickers in a knot

Meaning: Don't upset yourself.

Go and tart yourself up

Meaning: Please dress in your best clothes

Streuth, Thied, did you swallow a slang dictionary?:rolleyes:

Aren't we all glad that Pacific Sun departs in 2 days time alledgedly with Thied on it. .....Have a good cruise Thied, I hope it's a long one;)

3sleeps it is and look it up if you are made about what we do or cruise on.

thank you for your thourghts on our next cruise:D

Streuth, Thied, did you swallow a slang dictionary?:rolleyes:

Aren't we all glad that Pacific Sun departs in 2 days time alledgedly with Thied on it. .....Have a good cruise Thied, I hope it's a long one;)

i am glad to see you are on the Pacific pearl hope you enjoy your cruise as we will.

Archived