Australian Slang

Hi Kerry

I haven't heard hooroo since i left Melbourne some 30 yrs past... many thanks to Thied for answering for me but he obviously has never heard or used it....just copy and pasted......

...actual meaning when i was a much younger girl:p was: male or female who is VERY VERY highly rated in the bedroom department.... :o:o:D

Thanks Shiona, I like your explanation more. Are you blushing? You are such a dag... (I would like to see the copy & pasted meaning for that one.)

Kerry :)

Thanks Shiona, I like your explanation more. Are you blushing? You are such a dag... (I would like to see the copy & pasted meaning for that one.)

Hooroo : farewell, goodbye

Everyone of my generation from Queensland still calls a street directory a "refadex". Just like biro for ball point pen. The words were in such common usage, they became the slang name.

Hey Marion hope you're well.....John should be doing a show down your way late this year - early next will let you know....if you're interest will swing a couple of freebies your way....:D:D:D

Speaking of John he calls the gps in the car his refadex took me ages to work out he meant the TomTom..... cheers Shiona

Nawwwww Kerry dag is such a term of endearment where i come from ...big hug:D:D:D blushing me .............yep...........:D:D

Just remembered i haven't told you we are moving back to Melbourne... when this house sells............sooooooooooooooooo excited

Hi Kerry

I haven't heard hooroo since i left Melbourne some 30 yrs past... many thanks to Thied for answering for me but he obviously has never heard or used it....just copy and pasted......

...actual meaning when i was a much younger girl:p was: male or female who is VERY VERY highly rated in the bedroom department.... :o:o:D

could you please give a link to where this is written?

actual meaning when i was a much younger girl:p was: male or female who is VERY VERY highly rated in the bedroom department = hooroo.

actual meaning when i was a much younger girl:p was: male or female who is VERY VERY highly rated in the bedroom department = hooroo.

The explanation was not for the term "Hooroo". Not everything needs a link or needs to be copied & pasted. This is a fun thread & can be in our own words. We are not playing for sheep stations.;)

Not everything needs a link or needs to be copied & pasted. This is a fun thread & can be in our own words. We are not playing for sheep stations.;)

it was not a very hard question to answer:rolleyes:

Not everything needs a link or needs to be copied & pasted. This is a fun thread & can be in our own words. We are not playing for sheep stations.;)

Well said Kerry. Shiona's explanation was certainly more accurate than thied's.

Whinger : a person who constantly complains

White pointers : topless (female) sunbathers

Whiteant (verb) : to criticise something to deter someone from purchasing something

Willy-Willy : A strong circular moving gust of wind or whirlwind, primarily found in the outback of Australia

Wog : flu or trivial illness

which has two meanings and Im not posting the other one.

any one know what Wombat in Australian slang means lol

There are two meaning

One is a silly person or idiot as in the saying your a Wombat or dont be a Wombat

Tickle the till : to rob somebody or a business establishment

gge iam gald we do not have these on the cruise ships.

Thunder box : water closet; lavatory; toilet

and is hooroo again but in another meaning

Ta-dah : Goodbye. See also "Hoo-roo"

Piker : a person who spoils the fun for others

Rafferty rules : No rules at all, no guidlines or regulations

Dag : Ill-bred, unrefined; a person with no sense of dress personal presentation or manners

Nawwwww Kerry dag is such a term of endearment where i come from ..

I've always heard of it as such, too. Here's a copy and paste from me: :D

"But in Australia, it can be a term of endearment. It depends on the context, and your tone of voice. If someone dresses like a loser, you could call him a dag.

BUT - if someone says something funny, you can turn around and laugh and say 'you're a dag' - but in that context you mean 'you're a card', a character, a wag, etc."

I much prefer it as a nice saying. :)

I've always heard of it as such, too. Here's a copy and paste from me: :D

"But in Australia, it can be a term of endearment. It depends on the context, and your tone of voice. If someone dresses like a loser, you could call him a dag.

BUT - if someone says something funny, you can turn around and laugh and say 'you're a dag' - but in that context you mean 'you're a card', a character, a wag, etc."

I much prefer it as a nice saying. :)

Me too. I would never think of it in any other way but to refer to someone as a character.

Look here "Neville Nobody" if you had a life in your younger years you should know the meaning .....

just thought of another Aussie classic gem ...

"no wucking furries"

whoops mind in the gutter today ..lol..sorry if i offend anyone ....

As a group of young women at college together, we would chorus whenever something went wrong "Too late she cried and waved her wooden leg". The irony is that one of us went on to marry a man with an artificial leg. The phrase fell into disuse when we met in later life.

Colleen

Archived