Australian Slang

Possie or Pozzie = Place (Eg are we in the right possie) I'm guessing this is derived from "position". I never knew this was particularly Australian slang until some family members took an Alaskan cruise 15-20 years ago.

I would also add that some slang words are (or were) state or region specific.

Some have fallen into disuse.

Refadex is a book of street maps (but only in Queensland)

I was born (1974) & bred in Queensland and went to school with my school port (bag), placing it on the "port racks" outside the classroom. We'd also pack our port (suitcase) when we went on holidays (vacation). Friends from southern states insisted that a "port" was where a ship tied up!

I used to ride to school on my treadly or deadly treadly (bicycle). Push bike was another term for bicycle (as opposed to a motor bike).

A marking pen was a nikko, especially if it was a thick one. Finer ones used for colouring in were sometimes nikkos but often felts, felt tips or texters.

A mechanical pencil was ALWAYS a pacer. I'm pretty sure that was a brand name. An eraser was ALWAYS a rubber and it caused great amusement when at a certain age we learnt that rubber was also a slang term for a condom. When I first heard about condoms they were called frenchies which has to be short for French letters.

Oh, and one more. Mum's favourite term for an untidy, disorganised mess was brothel! "This place looks like a brothel! Come on you kids, tidy it up!" We always wanted to know how she knew what a brothel looked like?:eek:

LOL Sparky, you've brought back some memories! I think I had forgotten most of the above. Re 'ports' - we learned at school that 'port' was an abbreviation for the French word 'portmanteau'. When we moved to NZ for a while, I was the only child in the class who knew what a portmanteau was! (It must have been a class quiz, or similar.) In this case, Qld slang came in handy. :D

Also, my mother often used to say "This place looks like a brothel" and I continued the practice - despite the fact that neither of us would know a brothel if we saw one. :D:D:D

Oh, and one more. Mum's favourite term for an untidy, disorganised mess was brothel! "This place looks like a brothel! Come on you kids, tidy it up!" We always wanted to know how she knew what a brothel looked like?:eek:

Yep, I would hate to count how many times I said that to my 5 kids! LOL

Possie or Pozzie = Place (Eg are we in the right possie) I'm guessing this is derived from "position". I never knew this was particularly Australian slang until some family members took an Alaskan cruise 15-20 years ago.

I would also add that some slang words are (or were) state or region specific.

Some have fallen into disuse.

Refadex is a book of street maps (but only in Queensland)

I was born (1974) & bred in Queensland and went to school with my school port (bag), placing it on the "port racks" outside the classroom. We'd also pack our port (suitcase) when we went on holidays (vacation). Friends from southern states insisted that a "port" was where a ship tied up!

I used to ride to school on my treadly or deadly treadly (bicycle). Push bike was another term for bicycle (as opposed to a motor bike).

A marking pen was a nikko, especially if it was a thick one. Finer ones used for colouring in were sometimes nikkos but often felts, felt tips or texters.

A mechanical pencil was ALWAYS a pacer. I'm pretty sure that was a brand name. An eraser was ALWAYS a rubber and it caused great amusement when at a certain age we learnt that rubber was also a slang term for a condom. When I first heard about condoms they were called frenchies which has to be short for French letters.

thats so fun but true and brought back memories for me as well.

I don't think that one will ever go away:). I still say it all the time.

Oh.....and just to confirm...........No, I have never been in a brothel :)

Time for fun.....some of the recent postings got me thinking..want to add to the list?

"Kangaroos loose in the top paddock"

"A few sandwiches short of a picnic"

"not playing with a full deck"

I'm sure there are many more...I wonder if our overseas friends can work out what they mean? Lets see how long a list we can make.

Sue

OK, this Texan knows the second and third, but the "Kangaroos loose in the top paddock", I don't have a clue. :D

ooops i forgot to post my Aussie slang:

some to add my nextdoor neighbour in Melbourne many many moons ago always used this when saying goodbye "ooroo"

and how about "budgie smugglers"

"off like a bride's nightie"

"goes like the clappers"

"thick as two short planks"

and my fav ...sorry if i offend

"bangs like a dunny door in a storm"....

ooops i forgot to post my Aussie slang:

some to add my nextdoor neighbour in Melbourne many many moons ago always used this when saying goodbye "ooroo"

and how about "budgie smugglers"

"off like a bride's nightie"

"goes like the clappers"

"thick as two short planks"

and my fav ...sorry if i offend

"bangs like a dunny door in a storm"....

You are funny Shiona. Explain the last saying to me, I have never heard that one?????????????

My hubby says Hooroo all the time & G'day. Our 18 year old daughter always says G'day too.

Kerry :)

You are funny Shiona. Explain the last saying to me, I have never heard that one?????????????

My hubby says Hooroo all the time & G'day. Our 18 year old daughter always says G'day too.

Kerry :)

Bangs like a dunny door : A promiscuous female

Refadex was a brand of street directory.:)

Everyone of my generation from Queensland still calls a street directory a "refadex". Just like biro for ball point pen. The words were in such common usage, they became the slang name.

Kerry

Hi Kerry

I haven't heard hooroo since i left Melbourne some 30 yrs past... many thanks to Thied for answering for me but he obviously has never heard or used it....just copy and pasted......

...actual meaning when i was a much younger girl:p was: male or female who is VERY VERY highly rated in the bedroom department.... :o:o:D

Archived