Why So Many Posts Concerned About Spring Breakers?

This issue is the only one that gripes me a little. If kids aren't supposed to be in the adult areas then their parents need to deal with that. The Solarium is supposed to be one of those places but I've seen kids taking up valuable real estate there on every ship in the line that has one. Oddly enough Disney is about the only cruise line that enforces this rule.

I have asked the pool staff to remove underagers from the Solarium on the Explorer many times, and they promptly did. I will say that if you do not specifically ask, the staff may choose not to notice.

Teddie

Who would actually remember this This was the highlight- or lowlight of your cruise. It's not that serious people ... really. Teens sitting backwards inthe hottub really put a damper on your vacation?

You may want to re read my post.

So, for the non spring break cruisers, do you also avoid summer break? What about Thanksgiving, Christmas? And how do you predict when the European children will be on their "Holiday" break. You would be eliminating much of the calendar wouldn't you?

Actually, we do ... our preferred times are mid- to late October (waning hurricane season), the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas, late February to early March (just before spring break), and May-early June (to Alaska). In addition to avoiding the issues discussed here (both real and imagined) we save a bunch of money, enabling us to cruise several times a year. Sure, we run into some kids and a couple of inebriated grownups on every cruise ... but not 1400 children, and certainly not a group of 40 adults plastered out of their minds before lunch. We find plenty of times to cruise when they're in school or otherwise occupied, so we simply don't need to sail when they do.

So, for the non spring break cruisers, do you also avoid summer break? What about Thanksgiving, Christmas? .

You would be eliminating much of the calendar wouldn't you?

Yes, yes, yes and no.

February, late April and early May are wonderful times to cruise to the Carribbean. My schedule on when I can take vacation is flexible so I think I will stick to those times to cruise :)

We've been on several cruises with Quintacera's, high school group cruises, and spring break in general. Since we avoid the pool deck on all our cruises, we only experienced a few problems in the other public areas.

We also encountered a group of teenagers blocking the stairway on one cruise. I cheerfully called out "excuse us!", as my really large hubby proceeded to plow down the stairs, stepping on a few people as he went. They got the message, at least for us!

I still smile over the "elevator incident". It was the first day of the cruise, and we got on an elevator with an approximate 12-yo boy. He was in a hurry to get to the Windjammer, so when the elevator would stop at a floor, he would immediately push the "close doors" button, and we'd start up again. By the second time, my husband quietly said, "You know, son, most of us push the button AFTER people get on the elevator." He got the message, too.

We ask that children be removed from the Solarium. Sometimes with international passengers, they don't read the signs (yeah, right).

I have called security more than once with kids running up and down the hallway late at night. That seemed to work, too.

We just try to deal with the younger crowds without getting our undies twisted up, and otherwise, we ignore them and go somewhere else. They are big ships, you know.

No I totally understand your point and appreciate your attitude.

What I don't understand is others demanding others conform to their ways because they don't like to see it, or it interferes with their time. Thinking since they paid their cruise fee, they think the cruise should cater to just them

I agree with that as well.

Since I have kids of my own, I cruise mostly during Summer and one Easter Break so I have experienced PLENTY of kids on board. NOT once have I witnessed some of the horrific behavior that some posters complain about. Now that is not to say it doesn't happen either. However, and this is my opinion, I think many comments from those who complain how kids nearly ruined their vacation are simply exaggerated some of the issues they encountered. If they happen to see some kids pushing all the elevator buttons one time, they'll say - they saw kids ride the elevators each time they step onto one. If they happen to see one kid touch the food at the buffet, they'll say - they saw most kids using their fifthy paws touching the buffet food. If they happen to see a couple of kids running in the hallways one evening, they'll say - kids ran around the entire ship almost knocking them over....and the list goes on and on.

More often than not, the complainers (by their own admisstion) are either childless or much older who now have adult children. They have unrealistic expectations of an "adult only" cruise. Then the first sight of a child who jumps in the pool and may have splashed them with water, immediately annoys them and suddenly their cruise seems to be overrun with kids.

Just like any other hot topics, dress codes, smoking, etc., the reality is that many things are different on board than what is discussed on here.

Since I have kids of my own, I cruise mostly during Summer and one Easter Break so I have experienced PLENTY of kids on board. NOT once have I witnessed some of the horrific behavior that some posters complain about. Now that is not to say it doesn't happen either. However, and this is my opinion, I think many comments from those who complain how kids nearly ruined their vacation are simply exaggerated some of the issues they encountered. If they happen to see some kids pushing all the elevator buttons one time, they'll say - they saw kids ride the elevators each time they step onto one. If they happen to see one kid touch the food at the buffet, they'll say - they saw most kids using their fifthy paws touching the buffet food. If they happen to see a couple of kids running in the hallways one evening, they'll say - kids ran around the entire ship almost knocking them over....and the list goes on and on.

More often than not, the complainers (by their own admisstion) are either childless or much older who now have adult children. They have unrealistic expectations of an "adult only" cruise. Then the first sight of a child who jumps in the pool and may have splashed them with water, immediately annoys them and suddenly their cruise seems to be overrun with kids.

Just like any other hot topics, dress codes, smoking, etc., the reality is that many things are different on board than what is discussed on here.

I agree with that.

When people are trying to make a point it is not unusual to embellish the facts a bit.

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher , you would be surprised at some of the stretches people will go through just to get someone to respond quicker on what is pretty much a routine or a nuisance call.

Boy, it's a tough balance. Do I:

A) Try to schedule a cruise around Spring Break and other holidays when children raised by wolves are allowed to run free on the ship?

or

B) Try to schedule a cruise to avoid traveling on a ship that looks like God's waiting room with those who seem to think that with age comes the right to:

1) wear a speedo or biniki no matter what,

2) wander to the head of any line as if they didn't see there was a line

3) park their wheel chair or scooter outside their cabin so that it blocks half the hallway

4) charge onto the elevator as soon as the door opens regardless of how many other want to get off

5) wear socks with sandals

6) wear shorts with black dress shoes and black socks

7) use that scooter or wheelchair as a ramming device to force their way into and out of any venue

8) play cards all day at the Windjammer window tables regardless of how crowded it may get with people who may want to use the Windjammer to eat

Maybe I should just take a car trip next time.:rolleyes:

It is not the teenagers, they seem well behaved on all the cruises we have been on. now teeny boppers, though they can drive you nuts with running up and down the tight hallways, I can get past them.

It is the college age punks with way too much alcohol, no manners and Daddys credit card. They think they have made it in the world and are big dogs. They are loud, drunk and canidates to be pushed overboard...lol

So our spring break and their spring breaks are totally different ideas

You have every right to... but so do they. You know what your getting into and do it freely..

SO don't complain about what you KNOW your getting into. Kinda stupid isnt it?

It is like "I know if I stick my hand in this... it will break a finger.. but I'm going to do it anyway and complain like it is going out of style when I do"

Last year we did a B2B and the first week there were teens on our floor who did not know what talking with an inside voice meant. They yelled, and I do mean yelled at all hours of the day and night. No parent said a word. These kids were yelling at 2AM and no parents said anything. Others on our floor, not us, asked them politely to be quiet and they told the guy to f--- off!

I don't know if these kids are like that at home or if the parents were of the I'm on vacation mindset and kids will be kids. This year we went in Feb and it was again a spring break but never would we have known there were a lot of kids as they were well behaved.

I love seeing the little kids and for the most part their parents make sure they don't get into trouble. It's the older kids that feel they can do whatever they want and somehow their parents agree with them that make those of us with no kids at home want to cruise without kids or when it's not a spring break cruise . We don't cruise in the summer or over Christmas, because we know it's going to be more families meaning more kids.

We don't feel we need to go to another line, we feel parents need to take responsibility for their kids as it's just not their vacation, it's also ours and everyone else on the ship.

So, for the non spring break cruisers, do you also avoid summer break? What about Thanksgiving, Christmas? And how do you predict when the European children will be on their "Holiday" break. You would be eliminating much of the calendar wouldn't you?

Yes, yes, yes and no.

February, late April and early May are wonderful times to cruise to the Carribbean. My schedule on when I can take vacation is flexible so I think I will stick to those times to cruise :)

Ditto for me ryano. I like to cruise in January, November/December (excluding holiday weeks) and mid to late April. I have never really had a problem with kids on a cruise. There were a few bachelor/bachelorette parties on my Labor Day cruise a couple years ago, as well as a large group from another country who were loud and obnoxious, but I learned my lesson and will avoid the weekend short holiday cruises from now on as well.

In the summer, if I can afford to cruise I would take a longer (12 night or more) cruise as those tend to have fewer kids. Sure, there were some kids on my Star Princess Med cruise, but it was mostly teenagers who were hanging out with their families and not roaming the ship unsupervised. I also chose that itinerary later in the summer (August into September) knowing that the majority of U.S. kids would need to be home for school before Labor Day.

Oh, and I did look up the school holiday schedule for several European countries, just so I wouldn't be unprepared for a particular large group of kids. I was a bit concerned in the terminal building in Venice because I saw a few large family groups with lots of kids who were already showing their true colors running amok in the building. Thankfully, they ended up going over to the other side and boarding a different ship (Costa I think). Bet that was a fun cruise :rolleyes:

I had an some issues with too many kids on a cruise on the Explorer. This particular cruise had over seven time the average of kids on board.

They were stealing do not disturb and room service cards off peoples doors down the whole hallway(including Mine).

I bet all the people on here praising the virtue of having 1,000 kids on a ship might feel a bit different if their cabin steward comes into their cabin and interrupts your morning shower/getting dressed/making whoopee with your spouse because you didn't hear the knock at the door, and your DND sign had been flipped to say please make up room. :rolleyes::eek:

Boy, it's a tough balance. Do I:

A) Try to schedule a cruise around Spring Break and other holidays when children raised by wolves are allowed to run free on the ship?

or

B) Try to schedule a cruise to avoid traveling on a ship that looks like God's waiting room with those who seem to think that with age comes the right to:

1) wear a speedo or biniki no matter what,

2) wander to the head of any line as if they didn't see there was a line

3) park their wheel chair or scooter outside their cabin so that it blocks half the hallway

4) charge onto the elevator as soon as the door opens regardless of how many other want to get off

5) wear socks with sandals

6) wear shorts with black dress shoes and black socks

7) use that scooter or wheelchair as a ramming device to force their way into and out of any venue

8) play cards all day at the Windjammer window tables regardless of how crowded it may get with people who may want to use the Windjammer to eat

Maybe I should just take a car trip next time.:rolleyes:

I'll pick the kids one 100 out of 100 times. At least the kids have an excuse... Their parents are idiots.

You nailed this one right on the head!!

Ditto for me ryano. I like to cruise in January, November/December (excluding holiday weeks) and mid to late April. I have never really had a problem with kids on a cruise. There were a few bachelor/bachelorette parties on my Labor Day cruise a couple years ago, as well as a large group from another country who were loud and obnoxious, but I learned my lesson and will avoid the weekend short holiday cruises from now on as well.

In the summer, if I can afford to cruise I would take a longer (12 night or more) cruise as those tend to have fewer kids. Sure, there were some kids on my Star Princess Med cruise, but it was mostly teenagers who were hanging out with their families and not roaming the ship unsupervised. I also chose that itinerary later in the summer (August into September) knowing that the majority of U.S. kids would need to be home for school before Labor Day.

Oh, and I did look up the school holiday schedule for several European countries, just so I wouldn't be unprepared for a particular large group of kids. I was a bit concerned in the terminal building in Venice because I saw a few large family groups with lots of kids who were already showing their true colors running amok in the building. Thankfully, they ended up going over to the other side and boarding a different ship (Costa I think). Bet that was a fun cruise :rolleyes:

I bet all the people on here praising the virtue of having 1,000 kids on a ship might feel a bit different if their cabin steward comes into their cabin and interrupts your morning shower/getting dressed/making whoopee with your spouse because you didn't hear the knock at the door, and your DND sign had been flipped to say please make up room. :rolleyes::eek:

Nah because I lock the bolt when I do not want to be disturbed

Crazy idea... But it seems to keep unwanted people out

Even if the cabin stewart got in, he would be the one screaming if he saw me naked

it's not the school-aged children. it's the drunk, vomiting, obnoxious, pool chair-hogging college aged folks that make me crazy. and the Mexico ports where one can drink at age 18. the spring breakers get off the ship, where the drinking age is (ostensibly) 21 and drink until they can't stand up. or until they are obnoxious beyond belief. please note that I currently have three teenagers at home, and I know obnoxious! I have sailed the Yucatan Peninsula

before but never at spring break, and never again.

Vanessa

I have been on both sides of the coin...and I appreciate both sides of the coin.

On the one side of the coin, I am a 40-something year old mom of 4 teen boys. We just took them on a family vacation to Disney World for 2-weeks over the Christmas Break. We KNEW full well that it was the busiest days of the park for the entire year. We knew there would be tons of lines, it would be extremely crowded, and it would be jammed-packed-full of kids, kids, and more kids. If there was anyone at those parks that was upset about having kids or crowds around at that time of year, I would have looked at them cross-eyed... what did they expect??? It was Christmas at a park designed for kids! Even if it wasn't a time of year specifically designed for kids, I would still appreciate those who want to travel with their kids for a holiday at ANY time of the year... that's what FAMILIES DO. Families spend quality time together.

On to the other side of the coin...

Every other year, my DH and I take a "Kid free" vacation. The intention is to get away from it all for a little romance and reconnection. On these vacations, since I'm leaving my own sweet darlings behind, I don't want to be forced into experiencing someone else's sweet darlings while mine are at home without us. What do I mean by that? By all means, I expect kids of ALL ages on a family friendly boat. I expect them to be at dinner. I expect them to be at the shows. I expect them to be at all the activities. I DON'T, however, expect them to be running amuck without supervision mashing all the elevator buttons, cursing at strangers, or being in places that are off limits to them. During these type of vacations, since I want to be sans kids, I will stay away from all the pools except for the solarium pool. That gives them many, that gives me one. All that the people that are traveling 'kid free' would like is a little respect. If a location is meant to be adult only, please keep it that way. If your child is screaming during a show or specialty dinner, please step outside until they have quieted down. If you are a rowdy partier, please keep your partying to clubs and activity areas...not on your balcony or in your room at 2:00 am with no regards to your volume or others who are trying to sleep.

Respect is a two-way street, though. Respect must be given, in order to be earned. I think this whole post boils down to respect. Why are so many people concerned about spring break? Because they are paying good money for an experience and they don't want that experience ruined by anyone of ANY AGE (9 months to 90 years). College-aged crowds want the right to have fun, party, and get excited. Families want the right to celebrate time together without feeling like they are the bottom-dwellers of the boat. The senior sailors want the right for some relaxation and friendly camaraderie. Spring break can become a time that finding balance between all groups becomes harder.

IT CAN BE DONE... but it requires mutual respect on all sides. Regardless of age, people need to realize that it's ok to have fun, but that others have also paid a hefty sum to enjoy their own style of fun. They have no right to tell you how to have yours and you have no right to ruin theirs. Everyone needs to act appropriately for their surrounding.

And if everyone WOULD act appropriately for the space they are located in at any given time, it would go a LONG way towards a happy cruise for all. Notice those who mentioned not having any problems at Spring Break mentioned all went well on their trip because there was no out-of-line drama. Take notice of your space...whomever you are... if you're in a club or a sports area, then expect loudness, drinking, and hoople. If you are in an adults only area like the casino or solarium, please respect the age limits. If you are at a show or in a restaurant, manners are required, as is awareness of your personal volume level (regardless of age).

...ok, off my soap box...I'm beginning to channel Aretha Franklin... I hear her singing in my ears "R-E-S-P-E-C-T....." :eek::cool:

Seems like everyone is terified of running into kids on their cruise. I have cruised in spring and never had an issue with kids on a ship.

On most cruises I never even see kids. They must hide them somewhere with the stowaways on the ship! Those kids clubs really must do an awesome job of entertaining them.

Is it really that horrible?

Yep.

6717294343_23bf9e2892_z.jpg

26 Unaccompanied Children by vbkathy, on Flickr

I've not read all the posts in this thread but did notice comments about "parents this, and parents that". We just returned from a cruise that was a little early for the college breakers but there were still enough kids on hand.

Parents weren't involved with these kids. They were all on their own. Yelling and carrying on all over the ship during the day is one thing. Running down the halls at 3:30 AM, knocking on doors, absolutely trashing the hall floors is/was ridiculous (dozens of cookies smashed and crumbled all over the place). They paid for their cruise too though right? Guess they reserve the right to act like that according to some posters here.

I really feel for the staff. I can't imagine how "fun" the next couple weeks are going to be for them.

The defenders of such behavior here can have it. No more March cruises for us. We're thankful that it was early enough that these stellar passengers were fairly low in numbers. The next few weeks ought to be a real joy. :rolleyes:

I've not read all the posts in this thread but did notice comments about "parents this, and parents that". We just returned from a cruise that was a little early for the college breakers but there were still enough kids on hand.

Parents weren't involved with these kids. They were all on their own. Yelling and carrying on all over the ship during the day is one thing. Running down the halls at 3:30 AM, knocking on doors, absolutely trashing the hall floors is/was ridiculous (dozens of cookies smashed and crumbled all over the place). They paid for their cruise too though right? Guess they reserve the right to act like that according to some posters here.

I really feel for the staff. I can't imagine how "fun" the next couple weeks are going to be for them.

The defenders of such behavior here can have it. No more March cruises for us. We're thankful that it was early enough that these stellar passengers were fairly low in numbers. The next few weeks ought to be a real joy. :rolleyes:

Why should we expect that the parents "parent" these kids on the ship when they don't parent them anywhere else?

We've got a whole generation of children who act as if they were raised by wolves.

DW dealt with them in public education and I dealt with them in the criminal justice system.

We do not want to deal with them on a cruise.

I promise I will never complain about you sitting in your corner knitting or reading, if you will not complain about us drinking and having our kind of fun.

Exactly! Everyone can do what they consider to be fun. I just won't go over to where the group is doing the things I don't care to be involved in. :)

If that means not going to bars or avoiding cruises with high numbers of kids than that's perfectly fine, but I'm not going to be shocked or complain about their presence on my cruise. I just prefer to try and keep it minimized.

OK, A bit of irony to the situation...

Isn't it odd that Norovirus season and Spring Break coincide. Are all those kids germy and annoying too? :rolleyes:

So parents watch and wash your kids. Maybe I can convince RCL to add it as their new slogan. :D

Seems like everyone is terified of running into kids on their cruise. I have cruised in spring and never had an issue with kids on a ship.

On most cruises I never even see kids. They must hide them somewhere with the stowaways on the ship! Those kids clubs really must do an awesome job of entertaining them.

Is it really that horrible?

Yep.

6717294343_23bf9e2892_z.jpg

26 Unaccompanied Children by vbkathy, on Flickr

Most of these kids seem to be teens - tweens. Old enough to hang out ontheir own. And I am assuming moms of the little ones are nearby on the lounge chairs. Are you suggesting parents hold onto any passenger accompanying them under 18 by attaching them to a leash?

Those kids in the pic look like normal kids enjoying a day inthe sun. Do you find that offensive? What are they doing wrong? Please help me understand???

Archived