strangest thing you've brought on board?

Lily429

About the same as OP. For my upcoming cruise I'm taking a small bottle of Frank's Red Hot (Hot Sauce). It's popular up here in the Metro Detroit area, but once you leave the Midwest it's hard to find and I don't like the taste of tabasco (which most places carry).

What's Crystal's sauce? Is this something I should be looking for stateside?

If you like a good flavored hot sauce that wont burn your mouth off try the Crystals. Crystal's hot sauce is the ONLY hot sauce allowed in our house. It is that.... good. Texas Pete is a good back-up. Crystal is not available in all grocery stores. I finally found it at our local Krogers. If you are visiting a Southern state, try Winn Dixie. That is about the only place that I could find it when we were visiting Fla. When Hurricane Katrina hit, we had a Crystal's shortage as the LA Gulfcoast area is where they make the sauce. I had to have my sister clear the shelves in her Fla area store and send me up a box to get us through until they started production again.

If you get a chance, do try it. It comes in extra hot too but we like just the regular.

:)

The strangest thing I brought on board was a wooden beach chair that I purchased in Belize. The locals were amused since my DH carried it from the store to the tender on his head:). He joked that he was my "sherpa" for the day.

It was much cheaper to ship it by the ship we were on than by UPS or Fed Ex;)

I bring portable speakers for my MP3 player and solar powered rope lights for our double balcony for some mood lighting. They are not real bright so they dont bother our neighbors and I don't blare the music for those who are going to flame me. :p:D

We don't think its strange, but I bet others wouldn't consider giving up luggage space for board games. DH and I love playing Rummikub, Sequence, Bananagrams, Yahtzee, Etc. We'll sit on our balcony with wine and enjoy the scenery while playing. That reminds me - how good is the lighting on balconies? We have been known to more lamps out onto balconies at hotels but I bet they are fixed in place on ships. Should I bring a lamp? No, I'm not kidding!

I'm taking a small bottle of Frank's Red Hot (Hot Sauce). It's popular up here in the Metro Detroit area, but once you leave the Midwest it's hard to find

Really? I live in PA and Frank's is all over the place. NY, NJ, PA, OH. If you need some let me know. :)

I also took some on my cruise 2/26. :p

If you like a good flavored hot sauce that wont burn your mouth off try the Crystals. Crystal's hot sauce is the ONLY hot sauce allowed in our house. It is that.... good. Texas Pete is a good back-up. Crystal is not available in all grocery stores. I finally found it at our local Krogers. If you are visiting a Southern state, try Winn Dixie. That is about the only place that I could find it when we were visiting Fla. When Hurricane Katrina hit, we had a Crystal's shortage as the LA Gulfcoast area is where they make the sauce. I had to have my sister clear the shelves in her Fla area store and send me up a box to get us through until they started production again.

If you get a chance, do try it. It comes in extra hot too but we like just the regular.

:)

our house too! we live in Florida so we can get it at Publix or Sam's club has the 3-bottle pack.....very convenient. We also use Crystal's wing sauce....for num-num wings.:eek:

I love the Mongolian grill but find the sauces either to hot or don't like the flavor so i bring Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce to add to the bowl of Vegggie, i just added it before i hand it to be cooked, did this on my last cruise on Fantasy to see if it was good..Loved it.. YUMMY.. Now it will be packed in my carry on every cruise. I bring the large bottle and a 2oz. empty travel bottle to pour it into to take to the Lido so i don't have to carry a large bottle around. I have heard other people request just Soy Sauce .

I also bring zip lock bags to put Sushi and other things that i need to transport to room from various places. Since Shushi is only offered at 5:00pm to 8:30 and we eat at 6:00 for early dinning. When i'm sailing with Mom, we will go down at 5:00 and get Sushi to bring back to our room and put it in the zip lock bag so it doesn't dry out and put it in refrigerator. Our mom and daughter ritual is to eat our Suishi out on the balcony late at night.

I would not necessarily call it strange; but unusual. DH and I love to play cards on deck. I purchased and always bring a magnetic playing board and magnetic cards. Even with the wind - the cards do not move. :)

Could you tell me where you purchased this ? We love to sit on balcony and play cards. Thanks !

We bring these too! My DD loves to go to the sports court when no one is there and practice her pitching with her dad.

She is a dedicated player.

There are lots of folks including the crew that will stop and watch her.

One of my DDs is a pitcher too. We planned for her to throw up on the sports court too, but everytime we went up there people were playing basketball.

My Magic Bullet :) (it's a BLENDER...) and a jug of margarita mix.

And 25-30 very well hidden mini bottles of tequila. Cabin steward kept us in ice (we shared with him).

Do tell how or should I say where were the bottles hidden? Not that I would ever do anything like that!:rolleyes:

One of my DDs is a pitcher too. We planned for her to throw up on the sports court too, but everytime we went up there people were playing basketball.

We can never do it on sea days, way too crowded.

We stay on the ship on one of the port days and there is never anyone up there. She has the place to herself.

Do tell how or should I say where were the bottles hidden? Not that I would ever do anything like that!:rolleyes:

Honestly, I had them "everywhere". I had 5 in my carry-on, all around my bag. I had checked two small bags, rather than one big one, and each bag had a bunch. I had a few in my purse, separate from my carry-on. Without her knowing, I threw a few into my friend's checked luggage too.

My theory was "they can't get them all!". I truly expected only half to get through, but miraculously, they all made it. This was 4 years ago on RCCL.

We had a balcony suite on the Carnival Inspiration Western Caribbean cruise out of Tampa a few years ago and there were some basketball games we did not want to miss. We brought our xm satellite radio with some small speakers and put the the antenna out on the balcony. It worked very well and we enjoyed hearing the games as well as the news and music we wanted in our stateroom. Not sure if it would work everywhere, but you can check the xm blogs to see about the places you can get reception.

Really? I live in PA and Frank's is all over the place. NY, NJ, PA, OH. If you need some let me know. :)

I also took some on my cruise 2/26. :p

Same here - you can find Frank's all over in the Carolinas. But.....have to go with the local stuff - Texas Pete. Ever since they came out with the garlic hot sauce, that's all you will find in our house!

Just curious to know if anyone ever brought a kite with them. If so, did you try flying it while on the ship, or could you without it being confiscated? Might be kind of cool to see.:cool:

Well, guess I should have read this first before posting my question:

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments onboard, however, if a noise complaint is received it will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates, metal detectors.

I probably wouldn't be allowed to have a rubber ducky in the hot tub either.:( Darn spoil sports!:D

Being from the south, we find some of the food on board to be a little bland so we bring a small bottle of cajun seasoning (Tony's) with us. He put it in a small bottle that was used for another type seasoning as I did not want to bring the big can along each time to go eat. It's small enough to fit in your pocket. We cruise in a few weeks and last night I made sure to fill up my seasoning bottle for the trip.

Honestly, I had them "everywhere". I had 5 in my carry-on, all around my bag. I had checked two small bags, rather than one big one, and each bag had a bunch. I had a few in my purse, separate from my carry-on. Without her knowing, I threw a few into my friend's checked luggage too.

My theory was "they can't get them all!". I truly expected only half to get through, but miraculously, they all made it. This was 4 years ago on RCCL.

Thanks! I like the thought, "they can't get them all.":)

My husband and his cousin put the medium size plastic bottles of vodka in their shorts pockets in Nassau. They got back on the ship, no problem, but I was sweating it.:eek: The guy in the liquor store said as long as the bottle is plastic, and you put it in your pocket, the machine won't detect it. Don't know how true that is, but it worked.

Archived