HAL pulling out of NY--other lines expanding

Love the beach

[quote=V'sGirl;32916269]I will be happy to apologize. I take full responsibilty for whatever hurt or anger I caused anyone. It never occured to me that the term "New Yorker" would be construed as an ethnic denigration, but I know that a perceived insult is hurtful whether it was intended or not. Therefore, I humbly apologize to anyone who was offended by anything that came from my postings.
Beth[/quote]

[quote name='Boytjie'][B]The term "New Yorker" is not what annoyed my - I am a proud New Yorker! - and it cannot possible be ethnic denigration as we have just about all ethnicities here. :D What was ascribed to New Yorkers was upsetting.[/B]

Apology accepted.[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Peter..As usual, You have hit the nail on the head![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]From a former Long Islander, also accept the apology..Thank you Beth.. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Cheers...:)Betty

P.S. Sorry to be off topic, but a question for the New Yorker's..Will there be a St. Patty's day Parade today & if so do you know what time..Also Happy St. Patty's day everyone..Thanks'[/SIZE]

[quote name='serendipity1499'][SIZE=3]Peter..As usual, You have hit the nail on the head![/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]From a former Long Islander, also accept the apology..Thank you Beth.. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Cheers...:)Betty[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]P.S. Sorry to be off topic, but a question for the New Yorker's..Will there be a St. Patty's day Parade today & if so do you know what time..Also Happy St. Patty's day everyone..Thanks'[/SIZE][/quote]

[B][COLOR=seagreen]Yes, there will be a St Patrick's Day parade today in NYC (Newark NJ had theirs yesterday). It goes up 5th Avenue and I believe it steps off at 11 AM. It's usually shown on one of the local NYC TV channels. I think I'll go check it out. It's a gorgeous day around here, so the crowds will be huge.[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='bepsf'][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]Partially - but it's primarily due to pricing pressure.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]HAL does fairly well with the smaller ships on unique and lengthy intineraries where there is no competitive pricing pressure - and they do OK competing with other lines with the newer, larger ships on the 7-day run that are profitable due to their lower cost/passenger operating costs.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]HAL simply can't get better pricing on their ships than Carnival or NCL on comparable NY itineraries with smaller, outclassed ships where the operational costs for the run to Bermuda/Caribbean are prohibitively high - and they can't afford to run their more-expensive-to-operate/per passenger ships on the lower fares.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
As much as I love the HAL 'R' and 'S' class ships, I think that if they want to remain competitive, they need to plan something along the lines of Celebrity's Solstice class.....very nice, and very popular. With a few mods to 'Hollandise' them, I think they would make a nice addition to the HAL fleet. Little mods like a full promenade, an aft elevator/stairway, the usual HAL lounges, etc......

[quote name='3rdGenCunarder'][B][COLOR=seagreen]Yes, there will be a St Patrick's Day parade today in NYC (Newark NJ had theirs yesterday). It goes up 5th Avenue and I believe it steps off at 11 AM. It's usually shown on one of the local NYC TV channels. I think I'll go check it out. It's a gorgeous day around here, so the crowds will be huge.[/COLOR][/B][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen][B]Thanks so much..Have been trying to find it on TV here, but no such luck..The only time I ever cut school was for the St. Patrick's day parade & it was always freezing..A bunch of [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen][B]Friends & I would take a two hour bus & subway ride into Manhattan for the parade.. Thankfully our Mom's never found out..:D :D LOL [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2e8b57][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2e8b57]Happy St. Patricks's Day..[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2e8b57]Betty[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='bob brown']As much as I love the HAL 'R' and 'S' class ships, I think that if they want to remain competitive, they need to plan something along the lines of Celebrity's Solstice class.....very nice, and very popular. With a few mods to 'Hollandise' them, I think they would make a nice addition to the HAL fleet. Little mods like a full promenade, an aft elevator/stairway, the usual HAL lounges, etc......[/quote]

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]I agree - Tho more likely a version of [I]Carnival Magic[/I] or [I]Royal Princess[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='foodsvcmgr']How much less are Cunard, Princess, and Celebrity selling for that HAL is unable to compete on price?[/quote]

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]Cunard doesn't need to compete on price - They have limited sailings to the Caribbean out of New York...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]...and they offer the service & amenities to back up the prices.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]Celebrity could offer similar prices to HAL on larger ships that have more amenities and be profitable simply due to the larger numbers of passengers aboard - HAL was unable to be profitable at those fares.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='bepsf'][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]I agree - Tho more likely a version of [I]Carnival Magic[/I] or [I]Royal Princess[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I agree, likely the platform being used for Royal Princess and the P&O new ship.

[IMG]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5186/5787496623_cce01d1934_b.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='modelman']I agree, likely the platform being used for Royal Princess and the P&O new ship.

[IMG]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5186/5787496623_cce01d1934_b.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]Clever![/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Seago2']I cannot believe that NYC is not a money maker for the cruise lines- but it must be so. I have cruised out of NYC 7 times on 4 lines. I am in Western NY and it is very easy for me to drive the 7 hours to get there, not worry about checking bags, etc.

But you know what? Being at sea with a couple thousand New Yorkers is not always a good thing. There- I said it :rolleyes:.[/quote]

Maybe those of us from NY tri-state area think it's not always a good thing to be on a ship with those who can't keep up with us, or might be a bit, uh, stuffy... :p

[quote name='andyandsue']Maybe those of us from NY tri-state area think it's not always a good thing to be on a ship with [B]those who can't keep up with us,[/B] or might be a bit, uh, stuffy... :p[/quote]

Ha! It's difficult to keep up with us. We walk fast, we think fast, and we talk fast. A college friend, born and bred Jersey Girl like me, moved quite a distance out of state to get her doctorate. She had some teaching assignments, and her students were constantly asking her to slow down because she spoke so quicky.

Back to the HAL giving up the NYC berth, there's a thread about HAL leaving Bermuda on the Bermuda port of call board. Someone posted a link to a Bermuda newspaper site. An article about HAL leaving said that it would hurt Bermuda businesses as the HAL passengers were good spenders. So maybe HAL passengers were spending their money in Bermuda and consequently not spending much on the ship--Bermuda souvenirs instead of ship souvenirs, Bermuda jewelry instead of ship's bling, pre-dinner drink ashore instead of in a ship bar, etc.

First time to Bermuda was last year on the Veendam also my first ever HAL. Loved the whole experience so much that before we ever left Hamilton, I booked again for this year and was already planning to book for next year! Have also decided HAL is my favorite cruise line so have done several cruises since Bermuda and have a few upcoming. Very disappointed to hear NYC will no longer be an option for a HAL cruise as I am only 2-1/2 hours away. No flying is always a plus!

Just have to add my 2 cents about New Yorkers - too many trips to the city to count both before and after 9/11 - have never ever been treated rudely.

Looking forward to my last HAL cruise out of NYC

Nance

Archived