HAL pulling out of NY--other lines expanding

Love the beach

Re this article in NY's Daily News yesterday (please scroll down to read the article)

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/york-city-cruise-industry-grows-10-2011-economic-impact-239-million-article-1.1038056

--it seems other cruiselines are expanding their itineraries out of NY and we all know HAL is ending the Bermuda run after this season---go figure!

Are you listening HAL??

We would love to see more HAL ships (or even one!) in NY for the future.

We used to love to sail out of New York -- nice big planes from Pittsburgh.

But now I would never consider a cruise out of NY on any cruise lines. All flights are now on commuter planes and little chance that your luggage will make it with you on the same plane. Not good.

It's amazing the way 9/11 has changed the airline industry. Here in the Midwest, we used to see large aircraft to major destinations. Today, most of those routes are served by 99 passenger aircraft or smaller.

I cannot believe that NYC is not a money maker for the cruise lines- but it must be so. I have cruised out of NYC 7 times on 4 lines. I am in Western NY and it is very easy for me to drive the 7 hours to get there, not worry about checking bags, etc.

But you know what? Being at sea with a couple thousand New Yorkers is not always a good thing. There- I said it :rolleyes:.

We used to love to sail out of New York -- nice big planes from Pittsburgh.

But now I would never consider a cruise out of NY on any cruise lines. All flights are now on commuter planes and little chance that your luggage will make it with you on the same plane. Not good.

Take Amtrak. There's some nice scenery on the NYC to Pittsburgh train, especially Horseshoe Curve. (I think the train is The Pennsylvanian?) It would add another day to each end of the vacation, but you wouldn't have to deal with losing luggage.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

If it wasn't a money maker NCL would not be here year round and now Carnival will also have a ship year round, so there must be something there.

NY must not be a money maker. It's all about the bottom line.

NY is probably a money maker if you have a big ship in the market (the new ships being deployed there are in the 2500+ range). Maybe HAL can get a better return by deploying the ship elsewhere?

I think the biggest issue out of NY are the limited itinerary options for a 7-day cruise, which is the average time most people can afford to be on vacation.

Bermuda is great (I'm thrilled myself to be headed there in a few weeks on Veendam) but its not a full-year destination. Same with Canada.

To get anywhere south of the Bahamas requires more than a 7-day round-trip. Sailing out of NY anytime during the winter cuts down on the pool days so many enjoy. I would venture that the majority of cruisers associate hot sunny days with a ship, and the idea of wearing winter coats and mittens on embarkation and having to wait for it to warm up to wear shorts 'wastes' precious days of vacation.

But you know what? Being at sea with a couple thousand New Yorkers is not always a good thing. There- I said it :rolleyes:.

Back in my glory days, I was a flight attendant based in NYC. Being in the air with a couple hundred New Yorkers was not always a good thing either! (Sorry I'm off topic; just couldn't resist.):D

Back in my glory days' date=' I was a flight attendant based in NYC. Being in the air with a couple hundred New Yorkers was not always a good thing either! (Sorry I'm off topic; just couldn't resist.):D[/quote']

I wish you would have resisted, but I can't resist responding. New Yorkers get a bad rap and they are no different than people from any other large city in this country. Since your glory days were before 9/11, you can't know how New Yorkers have changed. There is an air of family, helpfulness and friendliness that probably rivals all the big cities. I hope you see that when you sail Veendam out of NY.

When Noordam sailed out of NY, we took a 10 day cruise down to the Caribbean and never minded the days up and back since we were on the ship and that's where we wanted to be. Wish HAL would come back.

I cannot believe that NYC is not a money maker for the cruise lines- but it must be so. I have cruised out of NYC 7 times on 4 lines. I am in Western NY and it is very easy for me to drive the 7 hours to get there, not worry about checking bags, etc.

Well...

Back in my glory days' date=' I was a flight attendant based in NYC. Being in the air with a couple hundred New Yorkers was not always a good thing either! (Sorry I'm off topic; just couldn't resist.):D[/quote']

And you and Seago2 think only New Yorkers get on planes and cruises in and out of New York?! :rolleyes:

Haha, I hear that. Although, my last cruise out of NY was mostly non-NYers, so it was a completely different feel.

I think that more cruises out of NY is a great thing, though! I have been avoiding flying places for my vacations, because I do not like having a stranger touch me inappropriately. As a result, our last several vacations have been cruises out of NY. I'm excited to see more options for future vacations.

We sailed Veendam last summer to Bermuda and enjoyed every minute of the cruise and the two nights we spent in NYC before the cruise. It is a great city. I'm sorry that HAL is leaving.

Ditto. Glad we took the Bermuda cruise last year, since this year we're doing the Med., and next year HAL is out of NYC. We had debated waiting until 2013 for Bermuda. Now, I'm thankful we didn't. Loved every minute of that cruise, especially coming back into NYC as dawn's glow painted the buildings and the Statue of Libery gold. Just spectacular!

Re this article in NY's Daily News yesterday (please scroll down to read the article)

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/york-city-cruise-industry-grows-10-2011-economic-impact-239-million-article-1.1038056

--it seems other cruiselines are expanding their itineraries out of NY and we all know HAL is ending the Bermuda run after this season---go figure!

Are you listening HAL??

I don't think you will find too many Midwesterners crying!

Are you listening HAL??

Hey, we have the same problem going on in California. Hal seems to be pulling out but other cruise lines are coming in. What's the deal.........:confused:

Ever since NCL brought year round cruising back to New York several years ago, after about a thirty year absence (from the time the QE2 departed around New Year's on her World Cruise, until her return around mid April, there were no other cruises); NCL has based two ships here all year round. And keeps bringing their newest and/or best ship here.

So they sure have been successful.

HAL tried one winter with the Noordam, which I enjoyed on an eleven day Caribbean cruise. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out.

RCI has managed to keep one ship all year out of Bayonne, currently the Explorer of the Seas.

Celebrity has ran its new Silhouette out of Bayonne for its first winter season, but it will be leaving for good. This was scheduled before it ran, so it was not a matter of not making it. It will be interesting to see if they bring it or another back in the future.

Princess tried one season here with the Crown Princess, but it too went away.

And the QM2 has been here for some winters, and done World Cruises away on others.

It will be interesting to see how well Carnival makes out...

I wish HAL could continue some ship out of New York all year. The magradome covered pools would seem to solve the problem of cold weather arrivals and departures to and from the Bahama's and beyond.

This is justing talking about NYC. There is also the port in Bayonne, NJ which has one ship year around and another during the summer. Just because HAL doesn't do it doesn't make ita bad business deal. Since I live here we take lots from here, most of the time most of the pas are non NY's, many from Europe. I don't think it speeks well for the HAL cheerleaders to try to make their point using ethnic remarks.

I've heard the same thing about a ship full of Texans sailing out of Galveston. (I guess it is the personality that you are accustomed to.)

Love crusing out of NYC, no place better to spend a weekend before or after great Broadway shows, great food, etc etc ( saw Letterman show a few times also). Thinking of doing HAL to Bermuda but not sure abouth the ship.

I wish you would have resisted, but I can't resist responding. New Yorkers get a bad rap and they are no different than people from any other large city in this country. Since your glory days were before 9/11, you can't know how New Yorkers have changed. There is an air of family, helpfulness and friendliness that probably rivals all the big cities. I hope you see that when you sail Veendam out of NY.

As a lifelong Jersey Girl who used to work in NYC, THANK YOU for saying that!

When Noordam sailed out of NY, we took a 10 day cruise down to the Caribbean and never minded the days up and back since we were on the ship and that's where we wanted to be. Wish HAL would come back.

We don't mind the sea days between NYC and the warmer destinations, either. I think it's fun to feel the gradual change in climate. But for a lot of people, a day when they can't lie out in the sun is a wasted vacation day. I can only guess that the reason there are so few winter departures out of NYC is that the cruise lines can't sell them.

Since I started cruising out of NYC 3 years ago I have not stopped. I really don't mind flying at all but when you can leave the house and be at the port in 15 minutes you get kind of lazy about flying anywhere for your vacation.

I agree. I love the freedom of not having to fuss about what may and may not be in the carryon bag. I love not having to weigh my suitcases every time I add something (even though we don't overload them). For me it's an hour drive, but it's still soooo convenient. I am sorry to see HAL leave the NYC berth and give up Bermuda. Our first two cruises were Bermuda on HAL out of NYC. When HAL gave up NYC that time, we gave up HAL and started sailing with NCL and Cunard. We don't have our next cruise picked out, so anything is possible. (OK, not ANYTHING, I won't go back to NCL...)

Archived