Good Service?

helpthejuggler

Each of us has our own idea of what the expected level of service is. So a give level could be fantastic to one person and unsatifactory to another.

That said, my extra tips are usually for people who do extra things for us. For instance, we have a drink or two on our balcony each evening before going to second seating dinner. The ice bucket filled that morning doesn't do it for us. There is a little nearly melted ice left in the bucket by 5:30 or 6pm. So I ask the cabin steward to refill it when he comes on duty each afternoon. Doing that for me (and all but one has) warrants an extra tip at the end of the cruise.

We don't ask for much "extra" stuff....and I don't particularly like "chatty" room attendants....clean and go...thanks very much!

If our cabin is kept nicely, and it's done early, so I don't have to worry about it all day, then I'm happy and willing to tip a bit extra.

We once had a waiter that was AWFUL....still, we gave the suggested amount, but the "extra" went to our ass't. waiter, who really tried to take up the slack that the waiter dropped!

Getting towels, or ice or anything that a cabin steward SHOULD do, does not, IMO, warrant an extra tip.

Things line wine glasses, corkscrew, extra ice, getting extra hangers, cleaning the glass on balcony railing, perhaps getting a pair of pants shortened for you .... are all worthy of an extra tip but in the end it is your decision.

I expect good service to be part of what I am paying my fare for, and consider the standard gratuity charged by the ship to be sufficient. That said, if I receive extraordinary service, beyond what is expected, than I will reward appropriately.

On our recent cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette, my mother's compact wheelchair lost a screw somewhere, and it was now unusable. I asked my steward if he knew where I could possibly get it repaired, or at least get a screw. He made a call, and in about a half-hour, a ship 'joiner' came to our cabin. He took a look at our problem, and then left, saying he would be back soon. About 15 minutes later he came back with his tool box, and proceeded to make a repair that made the chair better than it was originally. He assured me the repair would never get loose again.

There was no charge from Celebrity for this service, but I did give him a generous tip for his service.

Just a few from me.

When we walk into the same bar/lounge and the server recognizes us and brings our drinks right away -- we drink the same thing all the time.

In the dining room our servers don't dally around and make us wait 1/2 hour between courses.

That's just a couple of things that stand out for me.

Archived