Suite Guests....Oasis..... Heads Up...Royal in the wrong direction

Yes the suite guests CAN sit anywhere in the theater they like. However if they want to sit in a reserved suite seat they are limited to those roped off seats. There are a lot more suite passengers than roped off seats.

I do not care where the suite passengers sit, I just want to make sure if I make a reservation I get a seat and the suite passenger that did not make a reservation does not take priority over me if there is only 1 seat left.

A bit of an exageration, absolutely but I hope you get my point.

You're correct; I misspoke. What I meant to imply was that there were not a lot of seats in the suite area being held. There were many open seats even after those on 'standby' were let in, and it was never a problem and...IMO...not a big deal.

I've never cruised Oasis class, but I'm sure it's more crowded.

Oasis/Allure are incredibly well-designed ships. Anybody who says otherwise clearly hasn't sailed on one of them...

I fully appreciate that the whole reservations thing can be viewed as annoying (if for no other reason than it stifles some of the spontaneity that some like to enjoy on a cruise vacation)... however... I personally cannot think of a better way for them to manage capacity at the shows on Oasis and Allure. I also note that I haven't ever heard of another plausible idea floated on these boards either. There simply isn't any other way of giving 6,000 people a low stress way of getting to experience all of the shows that they wish to.

The alternative is everyone shows up stressed, likely very early, at a given show time and stands in a huge line that likely turns into a shoving match when the doors open (especially for the Aqua or Comedy shows). That's way less appealing than spending 10 minutes making reservations. :rolleyes: Plenty of people wouldn't get into the shows at the more popular times and would be plenty unhappy about it... at least with the current system, if you go standby you know there's a chance you won't get in.

The bottom line is if the policy changes and you're a suite person who's upset by it, you have 3 choices: suck it up and spend 10 minutes online booking show reservations like everyone else, book less expensive accommodations now that this perk that you valued is no longer available, or take your money elsewhere. Free market. Simple as that. There's other cruise lines and other RCI ships that don't utilize the reservations system.

My first sailing on an Oasis class ship is in a few weeks. My comment about it's design is based on what I have read and heard about the experience.

If you design something that is beautiful, with the best amenities it can still be a bad design. If the beautiful giant ship does not have all of the necessary resources to handle the thousands of passengers, then this could be bad design. On the other hand, maybe the design is great and there are plenty of resources and all it takes is a reservation system to spread the passengers evenly throughout the ship over the course of a one week sailing. I'm sure the suits at corporate HQ think this way.

When I first heard about the difficulty of getting into shows on Oasis, I thought that it wouldn't be my problem if I ever sailed on it. That's because I knew I'd be in a suite and could decide any time what shows to attend. That's no longer a safe assumption.

This class of ships has been in service for a couple years now. My sense is they are still trying to figure out how to move all the people around smoothly.

With the amount of people that get into the shows on stand-by...I can't see how changing to now NOT allowing suite guests free access to shows changes anything....I mean most all times I see just about everyone on standby get it....except for the comedy show..that is a very limited small venue....even the comedians joke about it. How Royal expects to tell a suite family that just invested maybe 15-20K that they have to stand in a standby line:rolleyes:thats just wrong and why the policy was changed in the first place. I stood loud and clear on the issue on the inaugural sailing when I paid huge $ for a Owners Suite just to be told we were restricted access to a show because we didn't have reservations for it that night. All I spoke to agreed and I guess corporate heard the complaints and the policy was eventually changed.....so why the change backwards:confused:and if only on Oasis not Allure like I heard....then it almost sounds to me like this may even actually be more something the ship may have made the decision on and changed policy...not corporate:confused:

Yes you paid big but if you do the math . the regular rooms in total have more customers and make more money than the 75 suites total. There are 2625 non suite rooms. So why piss off the larger group that as a whole paid more (as a total)to be on the boat to please a few that paid more pre room but not per boat total. for example if all the non suite rooms were insides at 1000 per person thats 2000$ per room (for 2 people) times the 2625 rooms thats 5,250,000$ but 75 suites even at 15000$ a suite for 2 passengers is only 1,125,000. Maybe all the lower class room occupants did not like that you could just waltz in and that they were unable to make reservations because the they were holding possible suite seats. Yes they should have divulged this change to you when you made your reservations but they may have changed it to please the most customers.

There is a new change to policy that I just don't understand.....suite/gold card holders used to have access to all shows on Oasis other than the comedy show (which I can understand since it's such a small venue) without advanced reservations....just show your gold card and enter....which is the way it should be. Now I was just told this past week on Oasis that policy is no longer in effect and that all suite/gold card holders have to have reservations like all other guests to be allowed access. This just makes no sense to me and is a step backwards in a very wrong direction. In the beginning when suite guests did need reservations (like they again do now) there were so many complaints about needing reservations for shows that they made the policy change in the first place and gave them free access....now they reversed it and went backwards:confused: IMO suite guests paying the money they are paying and now needing advanced reservation for shows on Oasis is terrible....so a heads up to suite guests.....don't plan on just walking into any show you like....you need reservations now:rolleyes:

I am sorry but paying in excess of $15000 for an AquaSuite or most any other suite for that fact for a family and having to stand in a stand-by line if they don't have a reservation just doesn't make any sense and is wrong...who ever reversed this policy needs to sit down and rethink it. So if you are thinking about spending LOTS of money reserving a suite and expecting some perks for it....well a BIG one has just again been lost.

You poor dear, It must be so rough to deal with this sort of adversity.:(:(:(:rolleyes:

We've booked a suite for our cruise next year, yes it costs around $13000 but we it will be our 2nd cruise and first time in a suite, we are happy for the massive room and awesome balcony with loungers etc.

We still plan on making reservations for all the shows AND getting there at least 45 minutes early so we can get a good seat.... just because we are paying more I don't want any 'extra special' treatment and to make anyone else miss out? Just to feel special every now and then will suffice.

However, we do plan to take advantage of the free alcohol in the evenings :D

On Freedom, the suite guests couldn't "sit anywhere;" the suite area was a small roped off area in the balcony. It's not like 'hundreds' were being deprived of seats....it's really no big deal.

You must have been looking at the wrong seating because there are plenty of seats. Many standby people were allowed to sit in them when they were let in. My last Freedom cruise that section was full only one night.

I vote for something similar to this rationale. I'm sorry, I just don't see having to make reservations as being such a HUGE burden that it'll keep suite passengers from sailing on Royal (assuming the change goes fleet wide).

As posters above have noted, I could see a nightmare situation where people who have reserved the show arrive and there's no seat for them because of high suite walk up.... and the other side of the coin where suite people show up and throw a hissy fit because there's no seats for them. I can definitely sympathize with Royal trying to avoid both of the above situations.

My guess is they HAVE witnessed both situations, thus the change back to the original policy.

No big deal to make reservations in advance online or see the concierge once on board. After all us lowly Diamond Plus have to do it. And I don't even want to give you the number of tens, dare I say hundreds of thousands we have spent with RCI over the years in suites, multiple cabins, and on board spending. I mean a suite guest isn't necessarily a big spender once on board. Paying $15,000 for a suite for a week may be nothing compared to a couple paying $6,000 for a JS on Oasis and gambling, drinking and buying jewelry and other things in excess of an additional $10,000 or more.

This is hardly earth shattering stuff.

The biggest perk for me was not having to reserve shows ahead of time.

This is what I don't understand. The BIGGEST perk? Really? I booked our Oasis show reservations last week. Booked five shows. Took about 15 minutes. You are paying for a suite just to save 15 minutes? Come on!

I think they are just trying to manage the logistics of non suite people wanting to book but having to hold back a number of seats for an unknown number of suite guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first sailing on an Oasis class ship is in a few weeks. My comment about it's design is based on what I have read and heard about the experience.

If you design something that is beautiful, with the best amenities it can still be a bad design. If the beautiful giant ship does not have all of the necessary resources to handle the thousands of passengers, then this could be bad design. On the other hand, maybe the design is great and there are plenty of resources and all it takes is a reservation system to spread the passengers evenly throughout the ship over the course of a one week sailing. I'm sure the suits at corporate HQ think this way.

When I first heard about the difficulty of getting into shows on Oasis, I thought that it wouldn't be my problem if I ever sailed on it. That's because I knew I'd be in a suite and could decide any time what shows to attend. That's no longer a safe assumption.

This class of ships has been in service for a couple years now. My sense is they are still trying to figure out how to move all the people around smoothly.

This thread has nothing to do with the design of the Oasis class. The OP disagrees with the policy change because of the negative impact he perceives it will have on him. No one on this board knows why RCI made the decision to change the policy. Perhaps the concierge was overwhelmed by the amount of requests to book shows and they believe their time is better spent doing other things, or maybe they are testing it to gauge a response from suite guests. There has to be a reason they are making this decision. And my guess is it is not to tick off the suite passengers.

The biggest perk for me was not having to reserve shows ahead of time.

This is what I don't understand. The BIGGEST perk? Really? I booked our Oasis show reservations last week. Booked five shows. Took about 15 minutes. You are paying for a suite just to save 15 minutes? Come on!

Everyone has their own opinion regarding what is the best perk for their needs. I do not question others opinions. It is not taking the time to book the shows!!! It is the lack of flexibility while actually on the ship that was a "perk" for me. If you had read the post correctly you wouldn't have to come back with a less than respectful comment. Really?

I have an Aquatheater suite in Oasis booked for next year, and a happy medium could be that suite guests have to reserve online, but will have a "special line" so that we wouldn't have to wait for so long.

Amazing how the dreaded class system seems to be returning to cruising.

People keep commenting on the fact that cruising was supposed to be the great equalizer. All types and classes of people all together..especially gathering in places like the MDR.

Lines have come to realize that there is a segment of the population that like "better" things and are willing to pay for them. Hence the specialty restaurants...and the new perks like certain sections of the pool deck for suite guests...priority boarding...special seating at shows..exculisve portions of prime beach....a "better" bar b que lunch.....etc.

The average cruiser is starting to make noise about all of this because they are noticing the changes. RCI now produces seapass cards that clearly designate different classes of cabins and those who sail in them.

RCI will argue that they aren't taking anything away from the average cruiser but choosing to enhance the experience of the suite guests who pay a premium for their cabins. IMO they should be rewarded for spending big bucks for a suite. Others will argue that even though they haven't achieved a certain status they have spent far more money on RCI than a one time suite guest has. Evidently RCI values those suite guests far more than loyal cruisers who sail in lesser cabins.

And now they have changed a suite perk. Were the unwashed masses grousing because they couldn't get seating because of reserved seats for suite guests?They obviously outnumber suite guests on a sailing.

RCI is going to have to keep doing their balancing act between making suite guests happy and keeping everyone else happy. This thread is a good indication about how many feel about the special treatment suite guests get. Class warfare rearing its ugly head?

Take some time to make some reservations and you still won't have any difficulty getting into the shows. That seems like a pretty simple solution to your concerns. And I am not quite sure where you are reading about all of these bad design issues. Most of us who have actually set foot on one of these two ships seem to feel quite differently about it.

Most here keep going back to the "just make reservations"...but that's not the point...yes, it's VERY easy to go on-line and make reservations....the point is that as a suite guest you shouldn't have to be forced to make that schedule months ahead....the perk wasn't to save you 10 minutes on-line...the perk was so you have freedom once aboard to choose and go to the shows as you like. It's a bit ironic because I see many here saying that they don't like being forced to make reservations and think the reservation system should be dropped all together but see how that may be a problem with so many people so they just choose to plan ahead even though it's not their "real" choice.....well that's why this perk was created in the first place....as a suite guest you were being rewarded and given that "freedom".

Some people bark about why should anyone be treated special.....well let me also remind you about "fast passes" at parks..which isn't much different than this.....buy a fast pass and you can walk to the head of lines right past all those that didn't purchase one....maybe Royal should start doing that...the extra fee haters would love that one. At Universal studios....if you stay on a property hotel your room key is a fast pass and you are given priority entrance to just about every attraction in the parks....so this isn't anything new....it's been going on for a long time....it's done to attract customers and make the company $...heck the airlines do it....they are the master of fees...Southwest "SELLS" priority check-in so you can check-in before most others.

Most here keep going back to the "just make reservations"...but that's not the point...yes, it's VERY easy to go on-line and make reservations....

Steve, sorry if this has already been mentioned, but didn't this perk of not having to make reservations also apply to Pinnacle and D+ members due to being able to sit in the reserved seating? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain it did. That means this perk being taken away will effect more than just suite guests.

Lets face it, there are close to 6000 passengers on each of these two ships. RCI is trying to make sure that everyone who wants to see a particular show has the opportunity to do so. Yes, some spontaneity is lost for everyone, even for suite passengers. Is that really so much of an issue to help ensure that the small community aboard the ship runs a bit smoother?

Steve, sorry if this has already been mentioned, but didn't this perk of not having to make reservations also apply to Pinnacle and D+ members due to being able to sit in the reserved seating? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain it did. That means this perk being taken away will effect more than just suite guests.

The perk was for gold card holders...the only gold card holders were suite guests...that's until as of late where they now started giving Pinnacle guests gold cards also... no matter what accommodations they stay in. They did have stickers that used that they could put on Diamond Plus folks cards...but honestly...that wasn't something that was just automatically done....that was more a specialty thing that had to be asked for....and if that was a problem then they could of easily just stopped giving out any stickers to D+...and like I said it was only on rare occasion that I saw stickers on non-gold cards. So in theory...you are correct....but those #'s are very low.

I'm sorry but I am calling BS. Every single last cruise I book with RCI I am bombarded with emails to reserve my dinners, shorex, entertainment, etc (as applicable). Constantly. Most starting at 120-90 days before hand.

If you don't know its because you didn't read the deluge of emails or never provided your email address.

I would agree with this. I was a first time cruiser on my first Oasis cruise and it was more than abundantly clear to me that reservations are needed for Oasis shows. There is indeed plenty of notice from Royal Caribbean on this, and I figured that out before I ever came to CruiseCritic. If you look at your reservation the cruise planner section pretty much directs you to make your show and dinner reservations once the 90-120 day time period hits.

I can just imagine the chaos if there was NOT a reservation system on Oasis or Allure - with everyone trying to go to the same show and many people being turned away! No reservation system certainly works fine for smaller ships, but I just can't see it working well for Oasis or Allure.

As to the suite folks not needing reservations, I'm guessing it either indeed caused people WITH reservations to be turned away, OR suite folks finding seats not available. Something like that had to happen to change the policy. I don't see myself ever getting a suite, but if i had a reservation and was turned away, I'd be awfully mad and you can bet I'd be complaining to RCI. I'm guessing one of these things happened, and RCI received complaints. Why it is only applicable so far to Oasis is anyone's guess.

Although, I always arrive 30-45 minutes before the shows, so I suppose it is not likely that with a reservation I'd be turned away.

Perhaps the concierge was overwhelmed by the amount of requests to book shows and they believe their time is better spent doing other things, or maybe they are testing it to gauge a response from suite guests.

Sounds logical to me. Maybe the suite guests who made online reservations were aggravated because the concierge was busy helping suites guests who did not make online reservations.

Lets face it, there are close to 6000 passengers on each of these two ships. RCI is trying to make sure that everyone who wants to see a particular show has the opportunity to do so. Yes, some spontaneity is lost for everyone, even for suite passengers. Is that really so much of an issue to help ensure that the small community aboard the ship runs a bit smoother?

I think part of it is, if you are going to cruise on Oasis or Allure, you have to expect to have to do some planning, unlike cruising on a smaller ship. I guess the suite folks will have to in the future weigh the cost of the suites, against the fact that the perk of not having to make reservations and losing some spontaneity may mean that it may not be worth them getting a suite.

On the economics side, i guess if enough people stop purchasing suites because of this (which I kind of doubt will happen), RCI would reverse this policy obviously. To me it would seem that a big part of the suite experience is the room and things like a concierge. One less perk out of the other perks wouldn't seem to make such a big difference in the grand scheme of things, to me at least. Then again that may be part of why I don't see myself ever spending the extra money for a suite. For that price I can take several cruises a year instead of just one!

the point is that as a suite guest you shouldn't have to be forced to make that schedule months ahead

So this point implies that all of us non-suite customers must make our schedules months in advance to accomodate to suite guests. It must be nice to keep us in our place. Let me guess, you want us back in our cabins at 9:00 PM also. Gate the decks and lock them. This way you don't have to be around all of us low class citizens.

Sorry, I don't have an ounce of sympathy that you have to schedule your cruise.

You paid for a suite, bigger room, Concierge service, and a CL. You did not pay to push all of the non-suite passengers out of the same shows, lounges, and other venues that we have paid for also.

Most here keep going back to the "just make reservations"...but that's not the point...yes, it's VERY easy to go on-line and make reservations....the point is that as a suite guest you shouldn't have to be forced to make that schedule months ahead....the perk wasn't to save you 10 minutes on-line...the perk was so you have freedom once aboard to choose and go to the shows as you like. It's a bit ironic because I see many here saying that they don't like being forced to make reservations and think the reservation system should be dropped all together but see how that may be a problem with so many people so they just choose to plan ahead even though it's not their "real" choice.....well that's why this perk was created in the first place....as a suite guest you were being rewarded and given that "freedom".

Some people bark about why should anyone be treated special.....well let me also remind you about "fast passes" at parks..which isn't much different than this.....buy a fast pass and you can walk to the head of lines right past all those that didn't purchase one....maybe Royal should start doing that...the extra fee haters would love that one. At Universal studios....if you stay on a property hotel your room key is a fast pass and you are given priority entrance to just about every attraction in the parks....so this isn't anything new....it's been going on for a long time....it's done to attract customers and make the company $...heck the airlines do it....they are the master of fees...Southwest "SELLS" priority check-in so you can check-in before most others.

Excellent analogy and you have put the above comments so well, much better than I could. Why is it ok for airlines, theme parks, and even other cruise lines (Especially NCL and Cunard) to offer "perks" but Royal is wrong in doing so. I never knew there was so much animosity toward suite guests. I guess anything can get heated on cruise critic.

Archived