Need help: Working while on "vacation"

PaddleAddict

I really need some help here.

I have been trying to plan a surprise cruise for my husband for his birthday. When I started to feel him out about maybe taking a short trip (I did not tell him it was a cruise), he said he can't take that many days off work (looking at a four day trip). Basically, he recently launched a retail product he invented and he's been working seven days a week, 14 hour days. I know he needs a break but he just can't disappear for four days since its a critical time for the product launch.

No one wants to work on vacation, but I am feeling like a working vacation is better than no vacation. Basically, he needs to be able to make phone calls and use the Internet on his laptop. I don't think he will need to work all day or every day... Just keep in touch and handle big things that come up.

I am now looking at a Cozumel/Key West itinerary, with one day at sea. Key West will be great as he can use his phone and I'm sure it's easy to find wifi. No sure about using his phone in Cozumel (AT&T iPhone). Obviously the phone will be off on our sea day, but what is the best way to use the Internet on the ship? We usually just turn everything off when we cruise so I'm not familiar with the Internet packages. Do you have to use their computers or can you use your own?

Do you think this is possible? If he can stay in touch and work a little each day I know he will enjoy the rest of the trip much more. Also, I really don't think he will go if he can't work.

Not sure about Carnival but if the internet onboard is anything like on NCL it is slower than death! Brought my laptop on our Jan cruise and it kept timing out trying to send email. I brought it in case I had to work but luckily I didn't because it would have been pretty much impossible.

I think this is one of those occasions where a land vacation is called for. It sounds like he really does need to get away, but the internet speeds on the ship are worse than the old dial up.

The phone rates while on the ship will be $2.49 per minute, but some ships do have $1.99 per minute incabin rates. There are internet cafe's all over, but you still have those sea days to contend with. Be sure you have an international plan activated on his cell so when off the ship you will get the cheaper in country rate.

I agree that either a land-based vacation is in order OR you need to tell him of your plans. No need for surprises. If he is putting in that many hours and the product has recently launched and its a critical time, he won't want to be away (whether he can be or not).

I don't know him but know my husband would get upset, birthday or not. (My hubby is easy going and up for most anything, but that would be pushing it a bit)

I think you need to rethink this. Maybe a cruise for your anniversary? Maybe his birthday next year?

How much does he need to be in contact with the office?

DH always is in contact with the office, once in the morning and once at night. Usually on the phone, just a part of being your own boss.

For the hour or so total he is working it is better than the alternative, no vacation at all.

The computers on the ship are slow, think dialup speed. He can use his own computer.

I see you're on the West Coast. How about the Inspiration 4day? Adds Catalina and no lost days for traveling.

When we sail from Long Beach DH can work until noon on sailaway and be back to work at noon after debarkation.

Well, I would tell him before I booked it. Just trying to see if it's even feasible. If we did a land vacation he would work 24/7. At least a cruise is a bit of forced relaxation at times. It's only one day at sea and also falls on a Sunday/Memorial Day so he couldn't do much work those days anyway.

Well, I would tell him before I booked it. Just trying to see if it's even feasible. If we did a land vacation he would work 24/7. At least a cruise is a bit of forced relaxation at times. It's only one day at sea and also falls on a Sunday/Memorial Day so he couldn't do much work those days anyway.

I think that sounds perfect.

But I'd also double check with him before totally booked. If it were me... I'd book it, and then tell him about it before final payment date (gives you until Sunday) and see if he goes for it, or puts the stop on it. Having it booked already might lead him towards the "go". If it's totally hypothetical, he might be more easy to say No way, Jose.

Good luck!

Also - as far as internet, does he need to get on websites, or just email? If it's email, he can pay for wifi, get all his emails lodaded, logout of wifi, and then read them all without costing a dime while reading.

DH frequently takes his laptop to keep in touch with work. On Princess, we get the free Internet minutes for being Platinum, but he usually ends up buying more minutes so he doesn't run out. (It's 150 minutes of Internet use per Platinum passenger for a 7-night cruise.) Fortunately he does not have to make any telephone calls while on a cruise. That would get really expensive since we don't have international phones.

I got a Skype phone number and activated it on my iPhone. When we were in Cozumel I bought something at the coffee bar in the shopping area and they shared the wifi access codes.

My phone was in airplane mode, but the wifi allows me to access the Skype phone with no problem. It looks like the iPhone display and works like magic.

Aboard the ship I knew from past experience the bandwidth was not sufficient for Skype so I used email for the sea days.

Sometimes it's hard to explain to others about careers you cannot leave behind, so I gave up trying. My phone is with me 24/7 and on the nightstand. Goes with the territory.

Don't do it. He is going to be out of touch for four days. In spite of what people have told you Internet access is sketchy at best, and other than in Key West phone service is non existent without paying a fortune. He is also not going to have data access for his phone while gone without paying a fortune. He has told you that is not possible. This whole plan may backfire.

There is a building across from the Carnival port that is a internet cafe. I bought 5 or 6 hours of time and its good for 6 months I believe.

I think I paid $22 .. but hey .. its not expensive compared to onboard. I still have almost 3 hours on my card, I intend to use later this week when Im there on the Jewel.

Have him just go to a internet cafe .. or downtown Cozumel, all of it is wired for free wifi. ($7 cab ride)

My husband is director of IT for a college here in NJ. He has to keep in touch with work. Like Biddle, he buys an internet package. He signs on, downloads all email, then signs off. He reads all of the email while OFFline and composes responses, logs back on and sends. It works for him and doing it this way, he's never run out of minutes before our cruise ends. When we're in port, he'll phone in, but the internet on board works for him.

Book it! The rest and relaxation he is able to get while away will help him focus on his business. Have fun!

If a land vacation is out - which is the best choice here for keeping in touch - then when ever you hit a port go to an internet cafe ($1 per 15 minutes) and sit and have a cheap beer $1 - 1.50 an relax. At sea days, sign up for internet if he must. I agree with others though - tell him about it - it is not every day that someone launches a product and this is very important to him so I would not mess with it. If this product could change your lives and if he is not in touch when something vital is going on it could sink it faster than a burg - I would definitely have him on board (ha ha) before I would do this. I am able to leave every gadget at home and not be the least bit affected but others would not be able to function.

If a land vacation is out - which is the best choice here for keeping in touch - then when ever you hit a port go to an internet cafe ($1 per 15 minutes) and sit and have a cheap beer $1 - 1.50 an relax. At sea days, sign up for internet if he must. I agree with others though - tell him about it - it is not every day that someone launches a product and this is very important to him so I would not mess with it. If this product could change your lives and if he is not in touch when something vital is going on it could sink it faster than a burg - I would definitely have him on board (ha ha) before I would do this. I am able to leave every gadget at home and not be the least bit affected but others would not be able to function.

I've never bought that little of time.. its cheaper by the hour or multiple hours. In fact in Cozumel downtown wifi is free.

Even by the port its not more than $3 for a hour, $5 I think for 2 hours. Was only $1 downtown before the free wifi.

I really need some help here.

I have been trying to plan a surprise cruise for my husband for his birthday. When I started to feel him out about maybe taking a short trip (I did not tell him it was a cruise), he said he can't take that many days off work (looking at a four day trip). Basically, he recently launched a retail product he invented and he's been working seven days a week, 14 hour days. I know he needs a break but he just can't disappear for four days since its a critical time for the product launch.

No one wants to work on vacation, but I am feeling like a working vacation is better than no vacation. Basically, he needs to be able to make phone calls and use the Internet on his laptop. I don't think he will need to work all day or every day... Just keep in touch and handle big things that come up.

I am now looking at a Cozumel/Key West itinerary, with one day at sea. Key West will be great as he can use his phone and I'm sure it's easy to find wifi. No sure about using his phone in Cozumel (AT&T iPhone). Obviously the phone will be off on our sea day, but what is the best way to use the Internet on the ship? We usually just turn everything off when we cruise so I'm not familiar with the Internet packages. Do you have to use their computers or can you use your own?

Do you think this is possible? If he can stay in touch and work a little each day I know he will enjoy the rest of the trip much more. Also, I really don't think he will go if he can't work.

As both a workaholic and cruise-aholic, I would NOT be happy if my wife arranged this without asking me. Connectivity onboard is horrible. If the vacation is for him, get him involved. If it's for you, find a friend and go without him.

I buy an internet package for 240 minutes at $ 100 as I need to be in ocntact with customers when traveling.

Sounds to me that your vacation would be better for him if land based.

Also dont think he would welcome a sudden surprise.

OK, in case you missed my previous post, I am NOT booking this cruise before telling him about it.

I just want to do all of the research ahead of time so he knows whether or not he's comfortable with this.

The would be a vacation for US mostly, but also him. We need to reconnect and he needs some kind of break. Just last night he said wearily, "I need a vacation."

I've never bought that little of time.. its cheaper by the hour or multiple hours. In fact in Cozumel downtown wifi is free.

Even by the port its not more than $3 for a hour, $5 I think for 2 hours. Was only $1 downtown before the free wifi.

Sorrry - just quoted what we paid in Jamaica - not all ports of course - wifi free in a lot of places - just figured quoting an amount would put it in more perspective for them - don't sweat it. All any of us are saying is to wait for a port - amounts mean diddly squat in the scheme of things. My main point was to tell him what was going on as this is a huge move for him.

I just can't see a "working vacation". I understand your situation and I hope you can work it out. It seems you both could use a break.

Enjoy your cruise:cool:

I never used to see it either. But there will be no break in the amount of work that needs doing for at least a year, so it's either go away and enjoy the time while doing a little work, or go nowhere and just keep working 14-hour days. I really think hubby needs the break, even if he has to work during it will be FAR less than he's working now.

OK, in case you missed my previous post, I am NOT booking this cruise before telling him about it.

I just want to do all of the research ahead of time so he knows whether or not he's comfortable with this.

The would be a vacation for US mostly, but also him. We need to reconnect and he needs some kind of break. Just last night he said wearily, "I need a vacation."

I think you are on the right track and he will appreciate all the planning so he is not cut off. The ship's internet is quite good if you do as the earlier poster suggested and sign in, download email, sign off and read/prepare responses, and sign back on to send. I too cannot go unconnected on vacation ever and check in morning and night using my laptop and ship's internet. Never had a problem in 20+ cruises but for once on the Glory, and that only lasted about 6 hours. With the ports you have chosen, there is really no chance to be out of touch very long in 4 short days as those ports are easy peasy for internet!

Good for you, go for it and I hope he sees how lucky he is to have such a smart partner!!!:D

other than in Key West phone service is non existent without paying a fortune

This is simply not true. AT&T and almost all other networks have various international service and data plans which keep the roaming charges reasonable. You need only contact your service provider before leaving. [You can cancel the plan as soon as you return, but take care that the vacation and the billing cycle of the international plan coincide]

I just can't see a "working vacation".

Gosh. I've been taking working vacations for the past 20 years - even longer in fact, and have gained a lifetime of fantastic memories. If you like your work, and can do it remotely, so to speak, why should it interfere with having a great time on a vacation?

As both a workaholic and cruise-aholic, I would NOT be happy if my wife arranged this without asking me. Connectivity onboard is horrible. If the vacation is for him, get him involved. If it's for you, find a friend and go without him.

Agreed

Archived