Do you book a balcony...?

l2c4fun

If you book a balcony does someone smoke on your balcony during the cruise?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. If you book a balcony does someone smoke on your balcony during the cruise?

• Yes, someone will smoke on the balcny
    • No

We are preparing for our first cruise and we are very excited! We booked a balcony because the price difference was very minimal. Now I am worried that we won't be able to use it much. DS has asthma and the rest of us are very sensitive to the smell to smoke. I am wondering if we should just pass up the balcony and contact our PVP about changing.

I have no issue with the fact that people smoke on their balcony. I just didn't even consider that when making the balcony reservation.

I'm hoping this poll will help me get a feeling for the likelihood of our neighbors smoking on their balcony.

We are preparing for our first cruise and we are very excited! We booked a balcony because the price difference was very minimal. Now I am worried that we won't be able to use it much. DS has asthma and the rest of us are very sensitive to the smell to smoke. I am wondering if we should just pass up the balcony and contact our PVP about changing.

I have no issue with the fact that people smoke on their balcony. I just didn't even consider that when making the balcony reservation.

I'm hoping this poll will help me get a feeling for the likelihood of our neighbors smoking on their balcony.

the big whale thing up top puts the most smoke out. maybe a windstar cruise is for you if smoke is too sensitive for you.

yet my wife smokes, and i never smell it on the same balcony when we are at sea.

the big whale thing up top puts the most smoke out. maybe a windstar cruise is for you if smoke is too sensitive for you.

yet my wife smokes, and i never smell it on the same balcony when we are at sea.

Thank you for your input! That is helpful.

A similar question like this came up in a different thread, and the general consesus seemed to be that, if you are a non-smoker and want a balcony, having a cabin with a balcony near the front of the ship is probably the best choice, as any smoke would blow towards the rear of the ship (while at sea). Unless you have neighbors that are heavy smokers, you may not have much of a problem anyhow. I've also read that some people with aft balconies are sometimes bothered by the smoke coming from the ship's stacks. Hopefully this will help with your decision.

My DH and I are ex-smokers (15 yrs) and we are pretty sensitive to smoke. That said, we always book balconies and have never felt the need to go inside because folks on nearby balconies were smoking.

If you want to be sure your next door neighbors don't smoke on their balconies, you might consider a Cloud 9 Spa balcony cabin (currently on the Breeze, the Dream and the Magic--not sure about the other ships). The cabins and balconies are non-smoking.

A similar question like this came up in a different thread, and the general consesus seemed to be that, if you are a non-smoker and want a balcony, having a cabin with a balcony near the front of the ship is probably the best choice, as any smoke would blow towards the rear of the ship (while at sea).

that's not true. if the ship is sailing at 19 knots, and there is a tailwind exceeding 20 knots, the smoke will travel forward.

A similar question like this came up in a different thread, and the general consesus seemed to be that, if you are a non-smoker and want a balcony, having a cabin with a balcony near the front of the ship is probably the best choice, as any smoke would blow towards the rear of the ship (while at sea). Unless you have neighbors that are heavy smokers, you may not have much of a problem anyhow. I've also read that some people with aft balconies are sometimes bothered by the smoke coming from the ship's stacks. Hopefully this will help with your decision.

My DH and I are ex-smokers (15 yrs) and we are pretty sensitive to smoke. That said, we always book balconies and have never felt the need to go inside because folks on nearby balconies were smoking.

If you want to be sure your next door neighbors don't smoke on their balconies, you might consider a Cloud 9 Spa balcony cabin (currently on the Breeze, the Dream and the Magic--not sure about the other ships). The cabins and balconies are non-smoking.

Thank you both. I considered the Spa balcony (before the smoking issue cameup) but I was wanting to be more midship and a little lower to help reduce the possibility of motion sickness. These things might be silly, but I'm a first time cruiser. What can I say? :o

Thank you both. I considered the Spa balcony (before the smoking issue cameup) but I was wanting to be more midship and a little lower to help reduce the possibility of motion sickness. These things might be silly, but I'm a first time cruiser. What can I say? :o

i think it's an unneccesary worry. not silly, but SO far down the list of things to worry about.

actually, pretty much all topics have been discussed before, so i guess they should all be put to rest? :rolleyes:

lol good point. I guess I am just tired of the flame wars that smoking threads start.

We've had balconies on other cruise lines where the smoke from neighbors ruined them for us. Usually it was smoke from people a few cabins away--not right next door. I'm glad that Princess has decided to ban smoking totally from cabins, including on balconies, so we won't have to worry about that problem again on one of their ships. And the only reason we cruise on Carnival is the convenience of driving to Charleston to get on the ship--and the Fantasy doesn't have many balcony cabins, and the cost will keep us in a lower category.

I'm with you about not having an issue with people smoking on their balconies. Neither dh nor I smoke (I quit over 20 years ago) yet I have never considered who we might be rooming next to when we booked our balcony rooms. Coexisting with smokers has been a necessity most of our lives as we are of an age that the restriction on where people may smoke is a relatively recent development. Most of our lives, people smoked everywhere. High school students smoked in designated on-campus areas, doctors smoked in their offices, commuters smoked on buses, and office workers smoked in their cubicles. I had a professor who smoked during class.

I'm not saying we wouldn't rather our neighbors not smoke, but knowing there might be smoke wafting our way wouldn't keep us from booking a balcony room.

As children of smokers, my DH and I do not smoke, nor have we ever smoked. We have warned our boys up and down about the hazards of smoking. Our oldest has asthma and I am always worried when we are somewhere smoking is allowed and I steer him in another direction.

We have had a balcony both times we have sailed. I can smell the smoke of others around us and, IMHO only, it's not very fair to those non smokers. When you grow up with parents who smoke like chimneys and you go on long car trips with them, its so obnoxious.

When we cruise and we smell the smoke, we stay on our balcony until we cannot take it any longer than go in. On Disney we were next to the Walter E Disney suite and the person who had that cabin came to our side of the balcony to smoke and she smoked all the time. I wanted to say something to her but didn't.

Maybe you should have your wife bring her nebulizer with you. That way she can enjoy the balcony and come back in and have a breathing treatment. I have thought of taking my sons, but he thankfully is growing out of it.

Well, so far the numbers look better than I anticipated with 60% non-smokers on balcony. I'm leaning towards just keeping our room as is. I think the chance of us having any issues are probably very unlikely. I'm guessing our schedule will be different than our neighbors even if they are smokers.

I will be interested in keeping my eye on the poll numbers tonight.

We do book a balcony because of the new smoking policy. But honestly, we are only out there in the morning & evening. The wind is so strong, I would think it would blow smoke away. There are so many other places on the ship to smoke, that we usually light up there. The serenity area is non smoking, but no kids allowed. There are plenty of non smoking areas on the ship too. Just avoid the smoking areas.

that's not true. if the ship is sailing at 19 knots, and there is a tailwind exceeding 20 knots, the smoke will travel forward.

If there's a tailwind exceeding twenty knots, a few wisps of cigarette smoke won't be around long enough for anyone to even notice.

If there's a tailwind exceeding twenty knots, a few wisps of cigarette smoke won't be around long enough for anyone to even notice.

LOL. You're joking. I notice people complaining about smoke just by seeing it.

lol good point. I guess I am just tired of the flame wars that smoking threads start.
Don't know what people complain about.

This drug is OK with the Government. It's legal.

The F.D.A. obviously thinks it's a health product, or it would be pulled!

That's good enough for me. ;)

Never had smoke problems on a balcony, btw.

Well, so far the numbers look better than I anticipated with 60% non-smokers on balcony. I'm leaning towards just keeping our room as is. I think the chance of us having any issues are probably very unlikely. I'm guessing our schedule will be different than our neighbors even if they are smokers.

I will be interested in keeping my eye on the poll numbers tonight.

I am so tired of SMOKERS being treated like sub humans GET over it. I smoke and most defiantly will smoke on my BALCONY that's why I bought it :mad: and the ones next to me are smokers also lolololol puff puff that cigarette

Archived