Weigh in......travel insurance or no travel insurance?

Romamom444

Travel insurance. We did our first few without it and can't believe it now. Although we have never used it (knock wood) I have elderly parents at home, we both have high demand jobs and plain old **** happens. I hope I never have need of it but for 2 people it's not a bad expense.

Several years back I had emergency hernia surgery nine days before flying to Paris for three nights and then into Barcelona for a 12 night Med. cruise, only time I did not have insurance. I hate buying insurance but learned my lesson. We still made the trip and thankfully a lot of sightseeing. Told by the surgeon to lift nothing heavier than a toothbrush. If this had been a caribbean cruise with all the swimming and snorkeling and parasailing I would have had to stay on the sidelines.

We plan on taking out travel insurance. We will be leaving four children home (ages 9-18) and GOD FORBID anything happens and we had to drop everything and fly home I want to be sure that I'm not losing all my vacation money AND the cost to get him from out of the country last second.

OTOH, my dad and his wife (mid-60's) NEVER take it. They cruise multiple times a year, are in great health and very active, have no elderly family or young children at home, or any other of the 'red flags', so they swing towards taking the chances.

If you don't want to shell out $25K+ to get your self or family members medical-evac'd home, then, yes. Get it.

I run across this issue on a regular basis through my work. I would never go without it.

teddie

What do frequent cruisers do?

We always take insurance. We have had sick elderly parents and never know what will happen. Also, there are inexpensive plans that cover the major issues. Small investment to cover a large investment.

A few points to ponder.....

Can afford to lose the amount of your cruise if you need to cancel at the last minute?

Check with your own medical insurance, does it cover you while on a cruise or in another country?

Emergency evacuation, trip delay or trip interruption, family emergency to leave the cruise early.

Chances are nothing will happen, for a few dollars its always peace of mind knowing you have it.

What do frequent cruisers do?

There was an article on Cruise critic today

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1421

where a reader posted the following comment

NSC showed us no compassion. Last year (2011) about 5 weeks before our scheduled cruise, one of my daughters became critically ill with bi-lateral pneumonia and spent 91 days in intensive care. Obviously we had to cancel the cruise (2 adjoining cabins) and did so the night upon which she was admitted to hospital. Our request for a full refund of our fare was refused, despite it being confirmed that our cabins had been sold on to other persons who occupied them during the cruise; a fact that was verified by friends of ours who took the cruise. NSC wrote saying that it was entitled to adopt that position because its terms and conditions said that it could do so and that it would be "unfair" on other passengers in the past to whom it had refused to give a refund, Not only is that statement illogical, NSC overlooked the fact (or simply didn't care) that it had profited from my family's ill-fortune.

Those that do not take out insurance yell the loadest when something goes wrong and feel the world shows them no compassion. They never say -its within my power (by buying insurance) to protect myself from the unforseen.

So far we have always driven to port -- flight problems eliminated.

However taking the following into consideration WE ALWAYS get travel insurance.

1. My parents age and health

2. Our advancing age (60's)

3. We will not be within our in network health coverage service area

4. The unexpected

5. The fickle finger of fate

I am happy to say that we never had to use it.

Buy it-Never have to use it-and consider yourself ahead of the game.

Unless you have medical insurance that covers out of the country emergency care (some do) AND medical evacuation off the ship (very few do) travel insurance is more or less a must unless you are wealthy. Medical emergencies can easily run $25,000 to $50,000 or more. Insurance to cover things such as having to cancel the cruise last minute is purely optional - but medical coverage is not something to neglect unless you already have coverage or are wealthy.

Early on in our cruising days we used it for a cancelled flight/missed ship (flight booked through RC). Figured the final tally on that one - with transport to the next port (Aruba), hotels (beach resort), food, etc hit nearly $10K. They even paid our land bar bill! That also doesn't count the very generous OBC we had waiting for us.

We buy it every time - figure we are still ahead of the game $ wise based on that 1 use alone.

Never leave home without it.
Agree 100%.

Cannot understand why you would not have it. In the UK all travel companies insist that you are aware that you should have it. RCI even make you record your insurance company when doing online check in.

My sister and I always take it and never had to use it until she had a mammogram last September (2011) that showed she had the early stages of breast cancer. We had to cancel out cruise because she would be starting the first of thirty-two radiation treatments the week we would have been on a cruise.

We never would have thought that this would happen to her since she was 64 and never was sick or spent a day in the hospital.

Unexpected things happen all the time and it is best to be prepared by hoping for the best but being prepared for the worst.

FYI - since her cancer was the early stages her oncologist is telling her that she can consider herself to be 98% cancer free.

LADIES - if you haven't done so please make an appointment to get a mammogram done as soon as possible.

When do you typically buy your insurance? When you book and pay your deposit or when you make final payment?

Thanks!

If you are buying an independent policy (not through the cruise line), then you must usually buy the policy within 14 days of initial deposit to get the pre-existing conditions waiver. If you are taking the cruise lines insurance (better than nothing), then it can be added up until when you make final payment.

Archived