Pre- or Post- Cruise Italy mini-vacation ?

drb

Here is the question, folks.

We are doing a 10 day eastern med sailing out of Rome on Celebrity on Oct.26th 2012. We are looking to spend 4-5 days in Italy while we are there and the question becomes:

What would be the advantages or disadvantages of doing it before or after the cruise? I can come up with some hypothetical arguments either way but I would really like input

from others who have done one or the other and their thoughts on the matter.

What say ye?

Doug

I've stayed on afterwards twice, but never before. It wasn't because I particularly wanted it that way, it's just how it worked out due to the cruise timing and my work schedule.

The nice part was that the first day of a cruise is pretty mellow, so I didn't feel like I missed much by napping and getting over the overnight flight.

It was also nice afterwards; we were well rested when we disembarked, so we went to our hotel, dropped our bags and headed out for a full day of sightseeing.

before or after the cruise?

Both of course! :D

Definitely a couple of days before the cruise is a nice way to start the vacation and recover from jet lag symptoms. A few days post cruise is a nice way to prolong that vacation!

I agree with Bruce. I would rather the days be pre-cruise. It allows some leeway if the flights or your luggage is delayed.

Excellent point as I always arrive a day early whenever flying to a U.S. cruise port simply because I am constitutionally incapable of not fretting about what might go

wrong ----- a not unreasonable result of having lived in the Midwest and always sailing in the dead of winter.

We are doing a 10 day eastern med sailing out of Rome on Celebrity on Oct.26th 2012. We are looking to spend 4-5 days in Italy while we are there and the question becomes:

What would be the advantages or disadvantages of doing it before or after the cruise? I can come up with some hypothetical arguments either way but I would really like input

What say ye?

Doug

We always add a few days on to the front end of our cruise. I feel like I have more energy and will be able to focus better.

For instance, on our precruise vacation last summer, we took the train and then rented a car, stayed in a farmhouse and drove in Italy for the first time. All of that required us to be more alert, read maps, decipher signs, figure out time tables, etc.

Then while on the cruise, everything is pretty easy and we can relax.

After the cruise, I am DONE. Time to go home, back to reality.

That works for us, your mileage may vary.

Last med cruise in November we stayed 3 nights pre cruise in Rome, it was great but we arrived at the hotel very late on the first night and left the hotel early to get to the ship on the last morning, so during our three night stay we only really got two full days.

Our next Med cruise departs from Venice but not until the day after embarkation, so this time we have booked to stay two nights in Venice and will arrive mid afternoon, this will give us a part day, a full day at the hotel and almost two full days on board before we sail.

The cruise ends in Rome, we are staying in the same hotel as last time but will there for three full days and on the fourth day don't need to be at the airport until 4pm :)

I think it all really depends on your flight times and how long you can be away. I remember last cruise feeling sad that we were going home when others were going to Rome or doing a B2B.

Maybe you could try a few days either end of your cruise? :)

We are doing the eastern med and arriving three days early in Rome. I always arrive a day or two early no matter where I am sailing from. Well rested when we board and good sightseeing under our belts. When it's over, it's over. Home sweet home

We always try to come in a day or three early to make sure that we have adjusted and luggage, etc is there and ready to go. The LAST thing we want to do is miss the cruise! Missing the plane back home??? Oh well...

That said, spending an extra day or two in Rome is an excellent idea, as there is so much to see. Not built in a day, hard to see in a day!

Our next cruise we are staying 2 nights in Venice before boarding.. The more I research the city, the more I want to see.

To sum it up: Before best, after very good also, both even better!

We have always flown in a few days before the cruise for the above reasons but we always fly home the day after the cruise is over.We don't have to worry about rushing off the ship to make our flight and we prolong the letdown of our vacation being over. Our trip last year was in and out of Rome. Since we had spent a few days pre cruise seeing Rome,we had made plans to be picked up at the ship by a tour company and we spent the day seeing Tuscany.What a fantastic day! Our driver dropped us off back at our hotel in Rome,where we were able to then enjoy a great dinner in Rome and do some last minute evening sightseeing before leaving for the airport in the morning. Whatever you decide...have a great trip!-Kade

We usually do both-and for longer periods. Our preference would always be for a pre cruise tour for the reasons stated above. But I would temper that with air fare. Not sure what you are doing with this but we aways seach for airline departures over a several day window. Last Sept. we were able to save just under $500. by changing the day of our weekday departure. For some reason, the Kayak fares showed one day with fares at $1050. The other departure days before and after our date were $1500 plus.

I'm on the same cruise in October, we are doing 3 days before and 3 days after (Rome before and Milan after). I like to have something to look forward to after the cruise, I'm usually so bummed the day getting off the ship, I don't want to go home yet. But I do agree with many that at the end of the cruise most are just pooped out and ready to go home.

So if I had to pick before or after only, I would definitely get there a few days early, get over some jetlag and settle in to Europe a bit, then at the end of the cruise head straight for the airport.

cb

It depends on the days of the week - Rome is busier on a saturday and if you want a quieter experience select based on when you will see the most with less people around

We normally take a few days leading upto the cruise - get a good look around - this is purely because once I've packed my bags on the ship the only time I want to unpack is when its time to wash the clothes - I'm ready to go home after the cruise.

What say ye?

Doug

What are your time constraints? I would extend your time as much as feasible.

We've not a lot of time limitations at this stage of our lives, so we figure that once we're in Europe we ought to explore beyond the cruise. Except for hassle of staying under the luggage weight restrictions, low-cost airlines such as EasyJet make the journeys from one city to another short and cheap. Plus we use timeshare trades. We extended our Baltic cruise with a week in Hungary, and our upcoming cruise was booked around a timeshare trade to Chauteau du Maulmont near Vichy FR with the addition of Belgium after falling in love with Bruges, a port of call on the Baltic voyage.

Flying is great but why not look at the train system.

I don't know about you but for us one of the biggest expenses is getting to Europe so why not try to make the most of it.

• 1 month later...
We have always flown in a few days before the cruise for the above reasons but we always fly home the day after the cruise is over.We don't have to worry about rushing off the ship to make our flight and we prolong the letdown of our vacation being over. Our trip last year was in and out of Rome. Since we had spent a few days pre cruise seeing Rome,we had made plans to be picked up at the ship by a tour company and we spent the day seeing Tuscany.What a fantastic day! Our driver dropped us off back at our hotel in Rome,where we were able to then enjoy a great dinner in Rome and do some last minute evening sightseeing before leaving for the airport in the morning. Whatever you decide...have a great trip!-Kade

Hi Kade,

Would love a little more info on the tour company you used for your day in Tuscany. We are flying into and out of Rome (Equinox cruise) and while we've not been to Rome before, I would be thrilled to spend our post cruise day in Tuscany. Would you mind sharing what you saw etc, Approx. how far to Tuscany from pier? How long you were there? Distance back to Rome, etc. What a grand idea! Thanks!!

We prefer pre-cruise.....Get over the long flight, make sure your luggage is with you. If you are coming and going from the same port..If you come and go from 2 different ports, we do both. This year we are staing in London POST cruise for 5 days, because the Olympics will still be ongoing prior to our cruise. :p

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing a 10 day eastern med sailing out of Rome on Celebrity on Oct.26th 2012. We are looking to spend 4-5 days in Italy while we are there and the question becomes: What would be the advantages or disadvantages of doing it before or after the cruise? I can come up with some hypothetical arguments either way but I would really like input

from others who have done one or the other and their thoughts on the matter. What say ye? Doug

It really depends what you prefer, but as so many have said arrive at least one day early. I'm doing a similar cruise next year with DH and he thinks that he probably only will do one cruise ever and it had to be the Med.

So we are trying to make the most of it.

Plan is to arrive in Rome and stay for the first two days/nights to get over jetlag after 30hr flights. We will take in all the quick sites like the Spanish Steps, Parthenon, Trevi Fountain, plaza's & St. Peters Basilica.

Then take the train to Venice and stay there for 3 day/nights and take in as much as we can.

From there with the train to Florence and stay there for 2 day/nights including a morning to Pisa. Travel to Citivecchia for cruise and use the one and a half sea days to explore the ship and to rest.

On return do another 2 days in Rome to see the Vatican and the Colosseum, plus maybe extra day as probably flying out at 10pm.

Archived