"No Upgrade" question

magandab

For my trip to NZ in November/December, we've booked a particular stateroom on the O-Dam. 6060, an SY cabin, and have indicated "no upgrade". We definitely want to be on the port side, as we'll be traveling up the east side of NZ and would like a view of land whenever possible.

Question 1: Has anyone ever been upgraded or moved without their knowledge, when they've booked a specific cabin?

Question 2: Has anyone been offered upsells when the've booked a specific cabin?

If a great upsell comes along, we don't want to miss it, but we don't want to take the chance of being moved to the other side of the ship.

Thanks.

Question 1: Has anyone ever been upgraded or moved without their knowledge, when they've booked a specific cabin?

I was upgraded without my consent once. I was informed by e-mail from HAL, a few days before I left, that my cabin had been changed.

I had carefully selected an outside cabin with a shower on the Prinsendam, and marked the booking "do not upgrade".

HAL moved me to a veranda cabin with a tub. I was not happy about the tub, but loved my little porch. :D

Yes, it can happen that you are moved, even if your booking is marked "no upgrades".

As to being offered an upsell when one has selected a particular cabin and marked the booking "no upgrade" ... happened to us some years ago when HAL contacted our T/A and offered to move us from an SS Superior Suite to a Deluxe Suite ... $799/person for a 7-nighter:eek:

For my trip to NZ in November/December, we've booked a particular stateroom on the O-Dam. 6060, an SY cabin, and have indicated "no upgrade". We definitely want to be on the port side, as we'll be traveling up the east side of NZ and would like a view of land whenever possible.

Question 2: Has anyone been offered upsells when the've booked a specific cabin?

If a great upsell comes along, we don't want to miss it, but we don't want to take the chance of being moved to the other side of the ship.

Thanks.

1) Yes, our first cruise we had selected a specific room. We were upgraded 2 days before sailing - from a G partially obstructed to a VB!

2) We were never offered an upsell.

:)

What is the purpose of the "Do Not Upgrade" option if they will not honor it?

I would be very upset if I selected a particular cabin for a valid reason (such as my elderly mother not being able to climb into a high-sided bathtub to shower), and found that they transfered us anyway.

That happened to us once (I did not notice an opportunity when booking to disallow upgrading). We were fortunate to find someone with an inside very happy to exchange it for our upgraded midship outside. The ship was sold out. We have since learned to mark "Do Not Upgrade", but now I am wondering after hearing they might do it anyway......

Interestingly - this has just happened to us!

I have outlined details in another thread.

3 days out we have received an e-mail with a different stateroom after checking the do not upgrade.

I think it wouldn't have bothered me if they had asked - either by e-mail or phone.

But to be informed this way after printing luggage tags and specifically choosing and booking the room over 12 months ago, I'm not sure exactly how annoyed I should be! lol.

Even if they consider the change an upgrade, it is highly annoying after requesting no upgrade to be 'upgraded'.

Especailly seeing as we don't consider it an upgrade at all :-/

It's not a good way to start the experience, that's for sure.

Interestingly - this has just happened to us!

I have outlined details in another thread.

3 days out we have received an e-mail with a different stateroom after checking the do not upgrade.

I think it wouldn't have bothered me if they had asked - either by e-mail or phone.

But to be informed this way after printing luggage tags and specifically choosing and booking the room over 12 months ago, I'm not sure exactly how annoyed I should be! lol.

Even if they consider the change an upgrade, it is highly annoying after requesting no upgrade to be 'upgraded'.

Especailly seeing as we don't consider it an upgrade at all :-/

It's not a good way to start the experience, that's for sure.

I totally agree! They should have to ask. If they find it necessary for whatever reason to move you, you should have the option to either refuse, cancel with no penalty, or change to another cruise. Unfortunately, I believe the fine print in the cruise contract is all in their favor, and they can do what they want.

Most of us that book a specific cabin well in advance, do so because we like the particular cabin or location. The cruiseline thnks taking you from a midship inside on a low deck to another on a high deck but at the fore or aft end of the ship is an upgrade. But we know better....

I always thought that the second letter worked a bit like a ranking. That VA's were better than VB's and SC's were worse than SA's. If this is true, wouldn't a VQ be down the ranks?

And personally I would never ever trade a real balcony with a Juliet balcony, or the aft for the side.

I hope you get your cabin back!

I always thought that the second letter worked a bit like a ranking. That VA's were better than VB's and SC's were worse than SA's. If this is true, wouldn't a VQ be down the ranks?

And personally I would never ever trade a real balcony with a Juliet balcony, or the aft for the side.

I hope you get your cabin back!

For the most part, that is true. However I believe VQ is highest in the rank for some reason.

Thanks.

1) If you haven't marked "no upgrade" you might be moved. If you HAVE marked "no upgrade" only chance of you being moved is if you're in a wheelchair accessible room and don't have a physical need for it (and Access and COmpliance would be contacting you to check first)

2) It's possible. But much less likely if you say "No upgrade" And you would never be auto-moved on these as you would need to call and accept the offer.

If you HAVE marked "no upgrade" only chance of you being moved is if you're in a wheelchair accessible room and don't have a physical need for it (and Access and COmpliance would be contacting you to check first)

That's simply not correct. My move was from a non-accessible cabin.

DBA, you now have learned the problems of posting with the company's official position, rather than the sordid facts. I'd suggest that you go bock to your higher ups, and 1) let hem know how they have allowed you to embarrass youself because of their misinformation, and 2) report to the CC community what the real rules are, and the proper remedies for cruisers who are being forced to change cabins.

Thanks.

• 10 months later...
Where is the place to indicate that you will or will not accept upgrades?

Is it on your profile or when you make a booking?

When doing your own booking, on the page where you select a cabin number there are two questions down at the bottom: Bed Arrangement? and are you Flexible In Your Stateroom Choice? Click yes or no.

For our 2008 cruise we had selected a specific cabin (SY) and marked no upgrade. A few weeks before sailing our TA called with an upsell offer to move to a SC for $200pp. We jumped on it. But, of course, all that did was fuel the addiction for larger verandahs and perks.

But, for all the addictions out there....I'm glad I picked crusing :D

hi

Lat year on Amsterdam to Alaska. I marked do not upgrade. I was in a inside romm main deck I was called and offer a uo sell I was offered a room with window on lower Promenade deck. The room was smaller that the inside cabin. (Sailed last year could not get same room but got the room next door) I loved both room the upsell room had a tub and I made good use of it after walking and walking all over Alaska.

Mamry

Archived