Thanks

NoobCruise

I just want to thank everyone for all the info and advice. Many times I see the same questions being asked over and over and everyone is so helpful and your answers always fresh.

Our first cruise was not so great. Not because of Carnival, but because we were not prepared. For starters, we let the cruise line book our flight and we were so rushed the entire day with no time to stop and eat that by the time we sailed we were stressed and exhausted. (next trip, we fly the day before). Then, I didn't take sea sick meds pre-emptively and was sick the first few days. We were put in late dining, which for us was too late (we normally eat around 5 or 6) and by the time dinner was over we missed the first show and didn't want to stay up for the second. We missed out on much of the evening entertainment due to our late seating. We didn't know the layout of the ship beforehand and felt a little lost the first few days and smoke is a big issue for me (triggers migraines). Back then there were more smoking areas then non and not knowing the layout of the ship, we were constantly walking through smoke-filled areas. That didn't help the sea sickness. I also didn't bring appropriate clothing. We expected warmer weather, but it was cold, overcast and drizzly the first half of the trip and I had brought mostly warm weather clothes so was cold most of the sea days.

So, like I said, it was not a great trip mostly due to my own lack of preparedness.

We decided to give cruising another shot because you just can't see the Alaskan glaciers in quite the same way any other way lol CC has been invaluable in planning and knowing how things work and what to expect. I feel totally prepared for this trip and We still have months to go lol

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice and being so patient about it :)

Have a wonderful cruise! Alaska is beautiful, but I have to say, you live near some great scenery, too!

yes I do! :) I was very fortunate to be born and raised here :) and we're only a few hours from San Francisco and Monterey and Lake Tahoe. I'm actually in Monterey right my now. My husband is out scuba diving this morning.

This is a great place for information. Keep asking quesitons. You'll get good answers and it gives the CC regulars a good reason to be here....LOL

Enjoy Alaska. There's no place like it.

And thank you so much for showing appreciation for the posters on this site..It has been an invaluable site for me too..I learn something new all the time..

Still trying to get DH to agree to fly to Seattle & do another Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam, sometime this summer..He hates to fly as he is 6' 2" (maybe only 6' 1" by now), but he's all legs..:eek: Even said that I would pay for business class this time, so we'll see if I can convince him..LOL;);)

Hope you have a wonderful time on your HAL cruise to Alaska..

Cheers..Betty

Archived