Would you pay for a chair ????

bluehenfan

When I first started cruising in 1979, it was on Home Lines......I paid for my chair, I had an assigned chair and my name was on it!!! I think I paid $5.

i remember my parents sailing on the oceanic telling me they charged for chairs.

and had to dress formal for dinner every night.

Maybe this is all part of Carnival's diabolical plan to bring in more $$$. They stay super lax on the chair reservation policy, people get crazy upset about it to the point of considering *paying extra* for chair space, then carnival swoops in all heroic to answer the peoples cry for justice and offers said service of paid seating - cha-ching!!! Moolah! :P (said in jest, please note, I am being silly) ;)

No, never, and I'm with those that say Carnival needs to start enforcing their own rules about the chair hog situation. They should immediately have a campaign where they tell the public that they are aware the chair hog situation has gotten out of hand and in order to get things back on track they are going to be heavily enforcing their stated policy of not being able to save a chair after they have left it for more than 30 min. If they are away for 30 min. their personal belongings are going to be removed and taken to lost and found where they may go and retrieve them when they finally return.

If Carnival doesn't do that, then there is really nothing to do about the chair hogs.

No, no, no, I would not pay for a chair by the pool!:eek:

They already got people paying extra for food when that is already included. So eventually chairs as well someday? Upgrade a room for a bit more...people will and do. Upgrade the food in a steakhouse...people will and do. Upgrade seating by the pool....someday I suspect.

I avoid the loud and crowded Lido deck (pool area) on a cruise, so it wouldn't bother me, but it sure doesn't seem fair.

Many things the cruise lines do seem crazy, but become standard, look at drink prices and their inflation on cruise ships. Ask someone 10 years ago on a cruise if they would spend 8+ for one drink...now folks do it without batting an eye.

Still a good deal to cruise, if ya plan it right.

I find it interesting that no one feels paying for a chair is necessary when there is so much complaining about chair hogs. IF I were one that sat near the pool, I would pay for one.

Years ago when we first started cruising, we paid $15 a week for an assigned chair. It was perfect! Every day, no matter what time we went to the pool, the chair was waiting for us. No chair hogs, no complaints about not finding a chair--it was wonderful.

We live in FL and have a pool so on a cruise, I don't care about being out by the pool. As a matter of fact, I enjoy sitting on my balcony more than being out by the pool, but I know there are many who don't have pools that want to enjoy them.

I think, but am not sure, that Princess charges for some chairs as my niece paid for one last year and thought it was the best thing she paid for on the cruise. I wouldn't doubt it if you see the major lines start charging and I can see the outrage from the hogs already!

Cruisercathy,

My first cruise as well as the next several were on Home Lines from NYC. I love sailing them and I wish they were still in business. Home Lines Oceanic, Doric and Atlantic are the ships I was talking about when paying for chairs.

I wouldn't pay for a chair, but I might consider going to a novelty shop, prior to cruising, and buy some fake poop to leave on the chair when I get up to go get a snack or beverage. Maybe there would be less of a chance that someone else would swoop in and snag my chair. At the very least, it would get some funny reactions.:D

I really never had a problem with "chair hogs"...either I am lucky or the fact that I don't like the main pool makes the difference???

I would NOT like to have to pay for a chair...but I do think Princess does this (sort of) with their "Sanctuary" area

I prefer Carnival's "Serenity" area JMO

I hope they do NOT start charging for it:o

After returning from our cruise during Spring Break, I started reading about different cruise lines, and Princess does have an adults only sanctuary area. From the thread I read, there is a long line to reserve a space. People were arguing about if it is fair to allow people to reserve a space all week or not so it must be popular.

Also, if we could have rented a cabana type area where our whole family could have avoided the Spring Breakers, I would have gladly paid the extra money. Just saying. Each of us values different things. That would have been worth the money to me. :)

I know that is very unpopular to say on this thread, but I am ducking and taking cover as I write this. ha ha! I do understand people who say they already paid for the chair when they paid for the cruise, but I don't spend money on expensive drinks so this would be my splurge. ;) On our cruise, I felt a bit like Greta Garbo. I just wanted to be left alone. ha ha! I am showing my age with that comment. :D

[quote name='La professora']After returning from our cruise during Spring Break, I started reading about different cruise lines, and Princess does have an adults only sanctuary area. From the thread I read, there is a long line to reserve a space. People were arguing about if it is fair to allow people to reserve a space all week or not so it must be popular.

Also, if we could have rented a cabana type area where our whole family could have avoided the Spring Breakers, I would have gladly paid the extra money. Just saying. Each of us values different things. That would have been worth the money to me. :)

I know that is very unpopular to say on this thread, but I am ducking and taking cover as I write this. ha ha! I do understand people who say they already paid for the chair when they paid for the cruise, but I don't spend money on expensive drinks so this would be my splurge. ;) On our cruise, I felt a bit like Greta Garbo. I just wanted to be left alone. ha ha! I am showing my age with that comment. :D[/QUOTE]

I 100% agree. I like my own space, I'm not a crowd person. We make sure we get a balcony room that is large enough for loungers. I want my space and privacy and frankly the quiet to relax and read. DH and I walked the lido on the last cruise during a sea day from front to back, took one look at each other and said at the same time "let's go back to our balcony". I don't think it would be fair to have rented chairs surrounding the pool area, as this seems to be the most popular area and the uproar it would cause would be a nightmare. I can see it in the serenity area though and frankly, have no problem with it. JMO.

Princess Sanctuary costs and is NOT :family friendly:...it is "adults only"

I have never sailed on HAL BUT on Mar 17 I went on Eurodam for a charity luncheon while she was in Port, pretty ship, good food...to me it looked pretty elegant but sort of "stuffy" compared to Carnival

I saw the "cabanas" on Eurodam and was NOT impressed, tiny little spaces with drapery around them, shaded, NO way a "family" could fit there, might be a nice place for an older couple to vegetate IMHO
they are smaller than they look in pictures

LaProfessa...you should check out Royal Caribbean...they have nice pool called Solarium on all their ships it is 16 and up, they have large pools for family too

A balcony cabin on Royal or a Promenade cabin (lets you watch the parade) would be ideal for a family. I personally prefer Carnival for the price, BUT if you really want the best ship for Teens, I think Royal is IT

[quote name='sharecruises']Princess Sanctuary costs and is NOT :family friendly:...it is "adults only"

I have never sailed on HAL BUT on Mar 17 I went on Eurodam for a charity luncheon while she was in Port, pretty ship, good food...to me it looked pretty elegant but sort of "stuffy" compared to Carnival

I saw the "cabanas" on Eurodam and was NOT impressed, tiny little spaces with drapery around them, shaded, NO way a "family" could fit there, might be a nice place for an older couple to vegetate IMHO
they are smaller than they look in pictures

LaProfessa...you should check out Royal Caribbean...they have nice pool called Solarium on all their ships it is 16 and up, they have large pools for family too

A balcony cabin on Royal or a Promenade cabin (lets you watch the parade) would be ideal for a family. I personally prefer Carnival for the price, BUT if you really want the best ship for Teens, I think Royal is IT[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Sounds great. :) I read that the Sanctuary was adults only, but I wouldn't mind paying for an hour or two if I felt comfortable leaving the kiddos for a bit.

That was part of my issue with our cruise. I felt as if I had to play "bodyguard" to my older teens the whole time because of the Spring Breakers, and there weren't enough places to get away from the Spring Breakers. I understand what everyone is saying about not paying for chairs, but I am just saying if I could have had some privacy for my family in a cabana, I would have paid for it. I don't want to stir up a fight with smokers because I realize they have rights too, but I didn't enjoy sitting near smokers when we ate outside. ( I come from an area where restaurants don't allow smoking.) We saw smokers only when we ate outside, but it bothers me if it is anywhere close. That is just me. If I had a little cabana, I would have eaten there. Sounds heavenly. ha ha!

No. I would not be willing to pay for a chair. Princess ships have an area with reserved chairs. I've never paid to enjoy those amenities. There's usually a place for us near the pool when we're ready to go up there late in the afternoon.

I'm not saying they should start charging for seats by the pool (which seems to be the biggest deal) but if they did I bet the CH's wouldn't pay for the 5 or 10 they seem to grab up at a time ;) So there would be no more CH's!!!!!

If I had young children I might consider paying a small fee to have the peace of mind of being near them while they were in the pool, but since that's not an issue for me I would just find a chair a little further back or just chill on my balcony. I have a feeling it's the serenity area that will eventually have a surcharge like other things -steakhouses, gourmet coffee and pastries, pub grub,etc. Who knows? ...we may someday look back and call the time we're cruising now the "Golden Age of Cruisiing" or "The Good Ol' Days" ! LOL

Archived